White vs Red Debate - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 277Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
White vs Red Debate

Ya know, there has been a lot of consternation, and fun ribbing, over the white vs red debate for the last couple years. I thought it would be fun to start a new discussion, in one thread, instead of bits and pieces all over. Here's my honest reasoning for my choice. As with any choice in life, YMMV.

--------------------------

Yeah, yeah...Ducati is red, I get it. Practically every bike they make has a red scheme, and truthfully, I love red. Not just in bikes, but in general.

However...

Park a red SS next to a white SS, and most every eye goes to the white....because its eye catching and sexier. Not that red isn't sexy, just red seems much more common. I went to buy a red one, then saw the white in person (being prepped for someone else), and decided to wait 7 weeks for another to arrive. Could have bought red immediately, but didn't. That red sat there for an additional 3 weeks before being sold and that was during the early days when they were exceedingly hard to get.

When my wife walked in the dealer with me to pick it up, my bike was sitting straight in the entrance with 4 people mulling over it (thank God, it had a "Do Not Touch" tag on it). My wife asked, "is that yours?". I said, "yup". She said, "that's pretty. I like it a lot". In all our years and my many bikes, she has never uttered a word about the looks of any of my bikes, until this one.

When I park my bike at The Gap store (for those that don't know, this is a store at the end of The Dragon in NC known for many motorcycles daily), I will nearly always have someone walk up and start a conversation about the bike and they always seem to mention, "I love that white" at some point during the conversation. When I go to Meets with other bikers, my white bike gets most all the attention. When its parked at the Lodge I visit for those Meets, it gets drooled over more than any other. And it's not becuase it's a Ducati as there are a couple Ducati's there and one is an 899. Both the others are red. Last year, I asked one of the gawkers (female) why she was so wound up about my bike as she had stopped to look several times over the 3 days, she said "because it's the sexiest bike here. That white is gorgeous".

Chicks dig the white. I like added attention from chicks. Works for me.

That's my two cents. Honestly, though, it's all good as long as it's a Ducati, and even better if it's an SS!
JaggerCat, Dany65, Rhino and 4 others like this.

~David~

post #2 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:08 AM
SBS
Training Wheels

You forgot, there is a third color and it is visually under the radar: GRAY
90% of riders could not tell the difference regarding the suspension, not
including you of course....
se7en, Miweber929 and grigio939 like this.
post #3 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:44 AM
Training Wheels

Now you've done it, what are we the step children here or something? You'll have to see the titanium in person and you'll like it, once you catch up to it on your white one. I think they are all fantastic, share the Ducati red but different enough to speak to you individually. I bet if you had one of each color lined up next to each other at a meet or outside an establishment you would have to rope them off from the admirers, like a fine piece of art in a gallery.
Rhino likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:26 AM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Ya know, there has been a lot of consternation, and fun ribbing, over the white vs red debate for the last couple years. I thought it would be fun to start a new discussion, in one thread, instead of bits and pieces all over. Here's my honest reasoning for my choice. As with any choice in life, YMMV.

--------------------------

Yeah, yeah...Ducati is red, I get it. Practically every bike they make has a red scheme, and truthfully, I love red. Not just in bikes, but in general.

However...

Park a red SS next to a white SS, and most every eye goes to the white....because its eye catching and sexier. Not that red isn't sexy, just red seems much more common. I went to buy a red one, then saw the white in person (being prepped for someone else), and decided to wait 7 weeks for another to arrive. Could have bought red immediately, but didn't. That red sat there for an additional 3 weeks before being sold and that was during the early days when they were exceedingly hard to get.

When my wife walked in the dealer with me to pick it up, my bike was sitting straight in the entrance with 4 people mulling over it (thank God, it had a "Do Not Touch" tag on it). My wife asked, "is that yours?". I said, "yup". She said, "that's pretty. I like it a lot". In all our years and my many bikes, she has never uttered a word about the looks of any of my bikes, until this one.

When I park my bike at The Gap store (for those that don't know, this is a store at the end of The Dragon in NC known for many motorcycles daily), I will nearly always have someone walk up and start a conversation about the bike and they always seem to mention, "I love that white" at some point during the conversation. When I go to Meets with other bikers, my white bike gets most all the attention. When its parked at the Lodge I visit for those Meets, it gets drooled over more than any other. And it's not becuase it's a Ducati as there are a couple Ducati's there and one is an 899. Both the others are red. Last year, I asked one of the gawkers (female) why she was so wound up about my bike as she had stopped to look several times over the 3 days, she said "because it's the sexiest bike here. That white is gorgeous".

Chicks dig the white. I like added attention from chicks. Works for me. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ducatisupersport939.net/forum/images/DucatiSuperSport939_toucan/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]

That's my two cents. Honestly, though, it's all good as long as it's a Ducati, and even better if it's an SS!
Lol I was trying to figure out wtf happened so from the other post Se7en disjointed this is my response

Well my wife and I walked into the dealer and she saw the white one and was all like why would anyone want a white Ducati? Ducatis are supposed to be red! Also I had a white Honda interceptor before. I will say I had more random people talk to me or try to talk to me at stop lights on the interceptor (all dudes) \_(ツ)_/. I just figured Ducati owners are seen as less approachable.
se7en, Rhino and Miweber929 like this.

Skywurz

2017 Supersport
2008 1098
post #5 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigio939 View Post
Now you've done it, what are we the step children here or something?
I didn't forget the Titanium. It's just that this debate has been between the white and red. Ti is new to the argument. And, for the record, I would buy the Ti before the red. So, in my book, red is last. In fact, if they had offered Ti initially (and in an SS-S), it would have been a tough decision between the white and Ti...I like it that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywurz View Post
Lol I was trying to figure out wtf happened so from the other post Se7en disjointed this is my response.
Sorry, I tried to fix it correctly, but the site isn't cooperating. I originally posted this in the other thread, then quickly (like within 10 seconds) decided that we need not muddy up another thread. But, h3ll, by the time I got it deleted and moved to this thread, you guys had already quoted it and responded. The whole process took me about 20 seconds. [email protected] fast responses, lol.
grigio939 likes this.

~David~

post #6 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
A post on behalf of @JaggerCat :

Which one stands out the MOST?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	36150  

~David~

post #7 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:09 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
A post on behalf of @JaggerCat :

Which one stands out the MOST?
you dont even have a properly red bike in that picture

Skywurz

2017 Supersport
2008 1098
post #8 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:30 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Am I going to have to say it all over again?

Also, I do think Red on the Supersport 939 is too monochromatic with the black. A few of us have been working on adding gold as a third highlight color to our red bikes and it makes them stand out MUCH more. I need to work on getting better photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1538105781850.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	36152  
Rhino, IL_Mostro, djcmx49 and 1 others like this.

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 SuperSport S

It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.
post #9 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:39 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
I tried to fix it correctly, but the site isn't cooperating. I originally posted this in the other thread, then quickly (like within 10 seconds) decided that we need not muddy up another thread. But, h3ll, by the time I got it deleted and moved to this thread, you guys had already quoted it and responded. The whole process took me about 20 seconds. [email protected] fast responses, lol.
All good, let's get this going!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywurz View Post
Lol I was trying to figure out wtf happened so from the other post Se7en disjointed this is my response

Well my wife and I walked into the dealer and she saw the white one and was all like why would anyone want a white Ducati? Ducatis are supposed to be red! Also I had a white Honda interceptor before. I will say I had more random people talk to me or try to talk to me at stop lights on the interceptor (all dudes) \_(ツ)_/. I just figured Ducati owners are seen as less approachable.
In the other thread I said my wife said EXACTLY the same thing. Both she and I dislike matte finishes so we easily picked red over the white.

Quote:
I didn't forget the Titanium. It's just that this debate has been between the white and red. Ti is new to the argument. And, for the record, I would buy the Ti before the red. So, in my book, red is last. In fact, if they had offered Ti initially (and in an SS-S), it would have been a tough decision between the white and Ti...I like it that much.
The Ti is awesome, but again, it's sort of a "matte" finish and I love nothing more than putting a nice coat of wax on my bike after a nice morning spent washing it. Just seeing it glow in the light brings a smile to my face

To comment on your original post, funny thing is, for me at least, at the Gap Store, which you are there far more than I am, and everywhere else I stop, every time I have someone stop to look at the bike they mention the how good a Ducati red looks.
djcmx49 likes this.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #10 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Chicken Strips

Well, for me, there was never any question about which colour my SSS should have. I mean the white looks really sleek and stylish, especially how it contrasts the red wheels with the white body, and the gray looks totally badass too, but for me either don’t make my heart race the way the red do. It’s just something special, even if most other Ducatis are red. Like was stated in the other thread, there’s a reason Rosso Corsa is a thing whereas Bianco Corsa isn’t.

To me, a white or black bike could be just any bike, but only a Ducati has that special red (red Hondas doesn’t count obv...). Much like a Ferrari Testarossa doesn’t look nearly as good in white as it does in Ferrari red. The white is somehow both too bland and too much showing off. Can’t explain rationally, it’s just a feeling, but I guess it’s same for the owners of the white one.

I do wish for a pair of gold Marchesinis though, just like stoppers, that’d be the cherry on top. Black wheels with black rubber does look a bit bland always, unfortunately.

Disclaimer: I’ve never seen either white or gray in the flesh, so there’s that, but I doubt it’d change my mind.
Rhino and Miweber929 like this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2003 CCM R30 (project build)

Last edited by Dino de Laurentiis; 02-19-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page