Is the SS a Keeper or not? - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 126Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Is the SS a Keeper or not?

So, I have owned a Red SS since Sept 2017. Covered 3000 miles and like the bike a lot.

But....... it has had many of the faults listed and discussed on these forums. 2 Recalls for melting bits, 1 for the gear lever, fuel sender failure, self cracking instrument glass, blurry mirrors. Thankfully I don't have DQS to contend with and the snatching clutch was cured by the dealer putting in the correct oil. The last episode of Engine Management Light on, this led to a tow truck recovery, the cause? We will never know, but it was something to do with the exhaust valve and probably me starting the bike with the side stand down!

Anyway, with only a few moths remaining until the warranty is due to expire, I'm feeling a bit doubtful about keeping the bike. After 31st August the local dealer are going to charge £100+ an hour labour for any future issues.... can I justify the risk?

What do you think? Keep or flip it?

Last edited by Airbus330; 04-16-2019 at 05:10 AM.
post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:22 AM

Hmmm I'm hearing you I trump you on the list and my bike has done over 20000k and its just getting better to ride. I'm having the same dilemma so cant help you with an answer, the real question is what do you replace it with, will you regret getting rid of that bike that you should keep till your 80...? maybe another SS with new bike warranty ? just cant find a better bike at the moment but I'm looking.
Chuck-Duc and NothingClever like this.
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Rhino. Had thought about chopping it for a (discounted) new version, hopefully they are being sold fully sorted now! Ducati appear to offer a warranty extension, but its hard to get info apart from the Ducati.com reference. Got to say I'm hugely unimpressed with Ducati, the dealer tries to help but getting info directly from them is hopeless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:48 AM

There are tons of bikes out there to play around with, if this Ducati hadnít impressed you then maybe itís time to move on and see if another manufacture doesnít do things better by you. So far my dealer and Ducati have been great and the 3 recalls that mine has had have been handled quickly, painlessly and all were proactive which I like. I went knowing there would be ďcharacterĒ issues so the wiggles are what they are in my book.

When these types of threads pop up I always say they same thing: lifeís short, buy the bike. These are not rare machines, thereíll be others if you decide to come back.

djcmx49 likes this.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2004 Yamaha WR450F
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:04 AM

Garage
Iím keeping mine

I have a red SS I bought in May of 2017. I have 8225 miles on it. I have had all the maintenance done on schedule by the dealer. I have modified absolutely nothing. Still has the stickers on it (I know). I check the chain, itís always in spec. I check the oil itís always fine. I start it with the side stand down all the time. I have never seen the CEL outside the normal start routine. It has been nothing but Japanese-like reliable for me.

I donít hit redline every time but I donít baby it either. I have been well into triple digits (mph) on the speedo and lit up the traction control light on corner exit in Sport (factory settings). I have tested the ABS on occasion as well. My tireís worn down the letters on the right and well into the letters on the left.

Due to the distance to the dealer and the time involved, I havenít even bothered with the recall work. I have had no negative repercussions whatsoever. Nothingís melted. I have never failed to see when something is behind me although it is blurry and playing cop or not a cop is a challenge. The shifter is fine.

If I had had your experience, I would definitely be asking the question you are but mine is a keeper. I love riding it and it has never given me a moments worry.

I canít help but wonder whose experience is the outlier.
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Ultimate commuter and old-guy sport bike.

Definitely a keeper.

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:56 AM

I have had mine since May 2017. The only issue Iíve had with mine other than recalls is the DQS crapping out on me, which was covered under warranty. Yeah, itís a keeper, warranty ending anxiety aside.
amoslws likes this.
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Thereís something special about the SS.

But if you see a bike that suits you better, go for it! (And let us know!)
Miweber929 likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbus330 View Post
So, I have owned a Red SS since Sept 2017. Covered 3000 miles and like the bike a lot.

But....... it has had many of the faults listed and discussed on these forums. 2 Recalls for melting bits, 1 for the gear lever, fuel sender failure, self cracking instrument glass, blurry mirrors. Thankfully I don't have DQS to contend with and the snatching clutch was cured by the dealer putting in the correct oil. The last episode of Engine Management Light on, this led to a tow truck recovery, the cause? We will never know, but it was something to do with the exhaust valve and probably me starting the bike with the side stand down!

Anyway, with only a few moths remaining until the warranty is due to expire, I'm feeling a bit doubtful about keeping the bike. After 31st August the local dealer are going to charge £100+ an hour labour for any future issues.... can I justify the risk?

What do you think? Keep or flip it?
Seems to me the common issues have already been fixed, so why change it now.
Ed K likes this.
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:03 PM

I took delivery of my SSS May 2017. It was one of the first bikes to be delivered in Austin.

I probably have had more issues than most owners. Multiple recalls, fuel sending unit, mirrors, and huge issue with the false neutral when engine breaking. I have also scratched the tank, side and front fairings, and the bike fell off my trailer when my wife was driving my truck (over $4,000 in damage- filed my first insurance claim). So I have been somewhat cursed with this bike.

Ducati Austin had my engine completely apart to replace the shift forks and other transmission parts. I was wondering if the mechanic can put the **** bike back together. The table was covered with parts. I was starting to lose confidence in keeping the bike. I have over 9,000 miles, and my warranty expires next month.

Aprilia sponsored a track day at COTA today. They offered test rides on the Aprilia RSV4 and Tuono. I took the Tuono out for a session. It was a fabulous bike. The Tuono was very fast, had a great quickshifter, and was very smooth. Of course, it was a demo bike, so I did not rev the engine high and did not want to wreck the bike.

When I got back on my SS for my next track session, I just felt at home. The SSS seemed lighter and more nimble and gave me more confidence. I can flat foot when sitting on bike and could not with the Tuono. I also like the riding position better.

I have ridden over 700 miles since the shift forks were replaced and completed two track days using the quickshifter extensively under hard breaking and acceleration. It has been absolutely flawless. When shift forks were replaced, I purchased the slip on Akrapovic exhaust system since it would be installed at no labor cost. Bike was in the shop a while. I can't say the exhaust sounds any different, but it looks good.

My 2014 Multistrada is due for its 15,000 valve service. I have had two fuel sending sensors go out- both were replaced under warranty. Ethanol fuel is the cause of the failure, and this is an issue on other bikes and also expands plastic type gas tanks. The Multistrada sending unit was updated with a new part number, and it has worked longer than previous ones. Otherwise, the bike has had no issues.

So even though I have had problems with the SSS, I am hoping everything is now sorted. I plan on keeping the SSS at least for now. I thought I would be wooed by the Tuono today. But the SSS is truly a fantastic bike.
amoslws, Rhino, Chuck-Duc and 3 others like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page