OEM heated grips or new set of heated gloves? - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Bill Send a message via MSN to Mr. Bill Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Bill
Question OEM heated grips or new set of heated gloves?

Hello Everyone. I have been following the separate discussion on the OEM grips, but do not want to hijack the conversation.

Now that I have decided to keep my SS, and as I close in on the 600 mile service, I am deciding what upgrades I want to have done at the same time as the service. The 14T front sprocket is first on the list and already on its way to my house. I have also been thinking of heated grips, but am somewhat conflicted. I have an old Gerbing heated jacket, pants and gloves, and everything still works just fine. The gloves are ready to be replaced, and I am trying to decide b/n a new set of Gerbing heated gloves ($120) or the installation of heated grips. Given the cost of the heated grips (plus whatever I may be charged for the installation), I am leaning toward new gloves. The grips do look very convenient since you don't have to plug in each glove and then tuck the wiring away whenever you want to use them. For those of you who have experience with both, please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:34 PM
Chicken Strips

Heated gloves are warmer, heated grips are more convenient. I like to wear thin racing/sport gloves with effective armor and sliders. The heated grips allow me to do so down to the low 40's.

I have both for my snowmobile. I use the heated gloves for trail riding. Then switch to thinner gloves and heated grips for the powder.
gnelson and Dox like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:55 PM
Dox
Training Wheels

I had heated grips fitted. They're not as hot as BMW ones, but were perfectly fine with semi-winter gloves down to and just below freezing point for full day touring.

If you've got more than one bike then the gloves would make sense.

Last Thursday and Friday I went on a 500 mile ride with my touring buddies - temperature went between 6c and 22c and I only packed my standard gloves. With the heated grips I didn't need anything else.

I've never used heated gloves or clothing, but imagine they're a hassle for charging etc. The grips are always there when you need them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:01 PM
Elbow Dragger

The 14T sprocket will wake the bike up, if you want stronger acceleration and fewer downshifts, go for it.

Also, I might note, if the you find neutral sticky and notchy, you might consider the having the dealer perform the oil pressure service bulletin (listed elsewhere) since the sprocket will be off anyway. I wish I had known about the SB before I had service done.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...47320-9999.pdf

John L
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Bill Send a message via MSN to Mr. Bill Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Bill
Thanks for the responses, which is what I kind of expected, convenience at a higher cost vs. more warmth for less $. I do have two bikes and a bunch of off road vehicles, so the heated gear gets used regardless during the winter. I am just thinking that getting on my bike and not having to fuss with the gloves (the jacket is not such a hassle) would be a nice change. Then again, I have a bunch of mods I want to do to my XT250. Gotta love first world problems.

LowRyter, I have a 2019, which seems to have the neutral issue worked out. Thanks all.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:51 PM
Elbow Dragger

cool

John L
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:27 AM
Knee Dragger

Garage
I have battery operated heated gloves, each glove has a small battery.

They work for about an hour on the warmest setting, which seems fine for -2C. The other settings extend battery life, but I haven't tried them for long enough to know how much. The owner guide reckoned 21/2 to 3 hours on the green setting.
Ed K likes this.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:05 AM
Training Wheels

for me, the gloves are the best solution, they keep you warmer than the grips, and in the important place, where the wind meets your hand,
Ed K likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

I have battery operated heated gloves too, that work well.

Although have had heated grips on prior bikes.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

I hadnt considered battery operated gloves. Is the battery contained within the glove, or do you store the battery elsewhere and have a connection to the glove? Ed, since you have had the battery operated gloves and grips, how would you compare the two? Thanks!
Ed K likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page