Desmoworld GPS/Sat nav/camera mount - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Desmoworld GPS/Sat nav/camera mount

I've spent a long time looking at options for mounting a GPS on the SSS. I'm not keen on the bar stem mount or anything screwed into the fittings near the ignition and came across this which I think looks very nice. Any one got one?

https://www.desmoworld.com/desmoworl...uer-ducati-105
Ed K likes this.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:54 PM
Elbow Dragger

John L
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Thereís a lot of options ranging from custom made mounts to various off the shelf products posted on the Forum that can found using the Search function.

A number of guys, including me, are using this (fits SS) together with a RAM mount for cell phone and GPS depending on the need.

Buybits 25mm Ball Motorcycle Mount Base for Ducati 848 evo (SKU 11780) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005K91802..._W3bfDbQNJEQK2

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:49 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBird View Post
I'm not keen on the bar stem mount or anything screwed into the fittings near the ignition and came across this which I think looks very nice. Any one got one?
With your above limiting factors, your options dwindle quickly. Not even the Aella product tickles your fancy?

That is a slick little ball mount you discovered...think you might be the first to post that here.

I like my two bits....they’re symmetrical and staged fore and aft just right to be immediately visible if needed but also out of the way when not.

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
Thereís a lot of options ranging from custom made mounts to various off the shelf products posted on the Forum that can found using the Search function.

A number of guys, including me, are using this (fits SS) together with a RAM mount for cell phone and GPS depending on the need.

Buybits 25mm Ball Motorcycle Mount Base for Ducati 848 evo (SKU 11780) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005K91802..._W3bfDbQNJEQK2
@BlueBird Although, re-reading your starter post, it appears you may want something prettier than this option. I donít recall anyone on the Forum posting about the option you posted. If you decide to go for it, please let us know how it works out!

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:58 AM
Training Wheels

Oh, I was not looking for it, just want to do the same for myself using 3D printer. Apparently it's already done but sorry, I can't accept such price - even if it's really great and I'm sure it's impossible to be dissatisfied. : )

I was really disappointed by using RAM MOUNT rubber mounted into the clip-on... it never fitted solid, I always had problems with it and removed completely. This option in the middle is what I'm trying to finish soon before my vacations this year. Symmetry and harmony in my heart
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grossi.BP View Post

I was really disappointed by using RAM MOUNT rubber mounted into the clip-on... it never fitted solid, I always had problems with it and removed completely.
Oh, interesting, what problems did you have? Also, do you have the cradle for the GPS/Phone or X mount?

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:00 PM
Training Wheels

It's not that it moves by touching one finger (I would want my money back) - however it won't hold the phone in one position - I used a waterproof phone, attached to its flat back an action camera 360 connector on 3M sticker with my 3D printed "ball" to connect RAM - RAM 'arm' - "ball" on the phone. Yes, it held the phone pretty well : ) - just the rubber in the clipon rotated the whole "construction".

My only problem is that the rubber inside the clip-on rotates just as much that during the ride the phone is eventually changing the angle. I'm pretty sure I made good cut of the rubber - before I also watched instructions. It's not that tight as put vertically into the head of the steering "wheel" (sorry I miss the word). My friend mounted the same ram mount and it also slightly rotates with two fingers. At the begining she has it more solid but I can see on mine it's not worth after a while.

Just too bad I didn't find a year ago this metal made element to put inside a clipon - my advice also would be to >delicately< scratch the surface of the rubber around to receive more resilience.

Anyway, now I'm focusing on the solution demonstrated in this topic : )
Ed K likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Could it be the rubber in your 3D printed ball was too soft?

I’ve not had any issues with movement of the RAM clamped phone or GPS cradles over a 5000 mile trip through a lot of inclement weather, and countless shorter trips. I did need a spot of locktite for the ball that “screw-expand” fits into the inside of the bar end.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:51 PM
Training Wheels

OK, maybe I internally didn't like this solution all the time and just found a reason to change I'm glad you don't have issues.

The RAM ball is super fine. I'll try with new solution. That's it.
Ed K likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page