Sport Touring - Page 3 - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 134Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:40 AM
SuperSport Master

Great thread....really good perspectives here.
gnelson likes this.

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

@theresanothersteve Thanks on your perspective about the SS with you and your wife. I have not ridden the SS with a passenger and had assumed it would not be a good choice for two up touring.
theresanothersteve likes this.

post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:28 AM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnelson View Post
@theresanothersteve Thanks on your perspective about the SS with you and your wife. I have not ridden the SS with a passenger and had assumed it would not be a good choice for two up touring.
Neither my wife, or I, do the pillion thing. She is a rider in her own right...
macraige and gnelson like this.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:01 PM
Training Wheels

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post
Neither my wife, or I, do the pillion thing. She is a rider in her own right...
Same here, which is why we have his and hers SSS.

Mark Craige
Tulsa OK
'17 SuperSport S, Akra Slip-ons, touring w/s, hard bags, etc.
'12 Multistrada 1200S Touring, full Termi., (sold)
'10 848 Hayden SE, full Termi. (sold)
Ď04 ST4s, full Termi., PCIII (sold)
'04 BMW R1100SA BCR, Staintune, Ohlins
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:11 AM
Dox
Training Wheels

The SS is a fantastic Sports Tourer. Day after day in the saddle and never once got any aches or pains. Get to some twisties and it's engaging and exciting. Carries enough luggage for a couple of weeks away.

And I can never get off without taking a glance back at her.
Ed K, gnelson, djcmx49 and 5 others like this.
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:12 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dox View Post
And I can never get off without taking a glance back at her.
This. Been a long time since I had a bike I look back at ALL the time, even to walk out into the garage and linger a bit........
Ed K, macraige, gnelson and 3 others like this.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:21 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnelson View Post
I haven't toured with it, only shorter trips, and I’ve heard no complaints regarding comfort from the current Ms de Laurentiis for that. That said, she did say she felt like she didn’t feel as securely seated on the SS as on my previous SV650 (which is hardly a model of passenger comfort). I don’t think she’d be very happy on a multi day trip though, or at least her bum wouldn’t.

The riders seat though, it’s so good that I want to meet the designer in person to thank him (or her). In my opinion, it’s very much a worthy trade off for the crappy mirrors.
Ed K, Derek, Miweber929 and 1 others like this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2003 CCM R30 (project build)
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino de Laurentiis View Post
I haven't toured with it, only shorter trips, and I’ve heard no complaints regarding comfort from the current Ms de Laurentiis for that. That said, she did say she felt like she didn’t feel as securely seated on the SS as on my previous SV650 (which is hardly a model of passenger comfort). I don’t think she’d be very happy on a multi day trip though, or at least her bum wouldn’t.

The riders seat though, it’s so good that I want to meet the designer in person to thank him (or her). In my opinion, it’s very much a worthy trade off for the crappy mirrors.
Believe the overall lead responsible for that would be Julien Clement. I recall reading an interview with him a few years ago where he indicated there were many arguments as to whether the seat should be made the way it ended up, or more race style. He also said, as I recall, the visual design element he was most proud of was the integrated gas tank design.
gnelson and Dox like this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:55 PM
Training Wheels

Since 1997, having only ridden BMW (K1100RS, K1200RS, K1200S, K1300S, then back to K1200S), I was skeptical that the SS would be as balanced as a SPORT tourer. Took a 3 day, 1400 mile run into the Blue Ridge mountains over Father's Day weekend. About 2 hours of slab on either end, the rest on some great sweepers and twisties, including the Devil's Backbone, Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and numerous other roads where the NC, TN, GA and SC borders intersect in the mountains.

On the way up, I missed the KS, but not as much as I thought I might. The extra 100 lbs., as well as incredible power available in any gear, is a benefit on the slab.

But once you start leaning, the SS made me ALMOST forget the KS. If you haven't ridden a KS, I would say it comes as close to perfect for those that like to ride aggressively, but don't want a full-on crotch rocket.

Love the flick-ability, torque, and balance of the SS, especially on downhill technical roads. Love the styling and ergos, but distance between my crotch and the tank could use another inch or two. (5'10", 178 lbs. with a 32" inseam). Otherwise, the seat was surprisingly comfortable.

After the first day, I made the decision to sell my K1200S as soon as I got back home, as the pros of the SS over the KS outweighed the cons. To be honest, if BMW hadn't discontinued the KS and not announced a replacement, I wouldn't have found my way to the SS. Now I believe the SS could be that perfect SPORT tourer for one-up road strafing, particularly when you have to slab a good ways to get there.

I will let others debate what refinements need to be made, if any, but for me, other than more crotch room, mirror stalks somehow attached to the frame under the fairing, and possibly a few more ponies, she is perfect.

Just turned 59 and love to see the guys older than me on the SS. I hope I will be one as well, as the thought of a full-on touring bike just isn't appealing.
djcmx49, Miweber929, Dox and 1 others like this.
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Great stuff here.

I love my SS, but I didn't buy it as a Sport Tourer. I bought it as an older man's Sportbike. Period. No touring in the name.

If I wanted a true Sport Tourer with an emphasis on Sport, I would have bought another Kawasaki Ninja 1000. To me, that is a Sport Tourer with an emphasis on sport. On paper, it beats the SS in every category, except one important one. As you that know me, I've said this before...the SS has that "it" factor. Not sure what "it" is, but it resounds deeply in me when I ride the SS...and look at her.

But, I would have another N1K in a second. D4mn good machine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140506_103319.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	38060  
djcmx49, Miweber929, Dox and 1 others like this.

~David~

Last edited by se7en; 07-18-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page