Sport Touring - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 114Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Sport Touring

I have noticed some have posted that the SuperSport is not a sport touring motorcycle.

From my perspective sport touring is not interstate highway cruising or riding with a pillion. I consider sport touring as a multi-day ride on scenic and challenging roads.

The SS meets my needs perfectly with the OEM panniers, DQS and heated grips. It is light enough that the curvy roads are fun rather than tiring. It is comfortable enough to ride more than 500 mi/day. The 4 gal fuel tank is adequate for most routes with good gasoline mileage. The mid range torque is fabulous for twisty mountain roads. The DQS allows effortless shifting in the twisty mountain roads. The heated grips are nice on cool morning when Gerbing heated gloves are not needed. I use Gerbing gear in Winter riding.

I have ridden several multi day rides and can vouch for the suitability of the SS to be a great sport touring motorcycle. I would not want to tour on a motorcycle that was any heavier or taller than the SS. The panniers are adequate for a 5 day ride without even expanding them or adding a tank or tail bag.

A few weeks ago I rode from Las Vegas to Oregon and back through the challenging Siskiyou mountain roads near Yreka, CA. A week from Sunday I will ride up to MT via Escalante, UT, Berthoud Pass and Trail Ridge Road. On my way back I will ride the Beartooth Highway and the Chief Joseph Highway.
Ed K, Derek, djcmx49 and 4 others like this.

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:42 PM
Training Wheels

No argument from me. It would certainly have fit the category when the term was quoined and bikes like the VFR750 and BMW RS ruled. Even BMW must be confused; don't we understand that the RS is the sport tourer and RT is the tourer.
Ed K, gnelson and NothingClever like this.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:44 PM
Training Wheels

Are you taking highway 12 near Escalante? If so be careful you go off their your a goner. The factory bags look nice but 1500 dollars that's insane!!
gnelson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:13 PM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnelson View Post
I have noticed some have posted that the SuperSport is not a sport touring motorcycle.

From my perspective sport touring is not interstate highway cruising or riding with a pillion. I consider sport touring as a multi-day ride on scenic and challenging roads.

The SS meets my needs perfectly with the OEM panniers, DQS and heated grips. It is light enough that the curvy roads are fun rather than tiring. It is comfortable enough to ride more than 500 mi/day. The 4 gal fuel tank is adequate for most routes with good gasoline mileage. The mid range torque is fabulous for twisty mountain roads. The DQS allows effortless shifting in the twisty mountain roads. The heated grips are nice on cool morning when Gerbing heated gloves are not needed. I use Gerbing gear in Winter riding.

I have ridden several multi day rides and can vouch for the suitability of the SS to be a great sport touring motorcycle. I would not want to tour on a motorcycle that was any heavier or taller than the SS. The panniers are adequate for a 5 day ride without even expanding them or adding a tank or tail bag.

A few weeks ago I rode from Las Vegas to Oregon and back through the challenging Siskiyou mountain roads near Yreka, CA. A week from Sunday I will ride up to MT via Escalante, UT, Berthoud Pass and Trail Ridge Road. On my way back I will ride the Beartooth Highway and the Chief Joseph Highway.
Been a while since you've been seen in here. Welcome back. Safe journey next week!
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Training Wheels

Just did 300 miles via Utah 12 last Sat

it definitely is on the far Sport edge of sport touring bike in my opinion....but, that is why I bought it My only complaint is that my legs get cramped and I have to pause often for a stretch......but, I don't want a change. i want it just like that and i will just keep pausing
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopula View Post
Are you taking highway 12 near Escalante? If so be careful you go off their your a goner. The factory bags look nice but 1500 dollars that's insane!!
One of the more spectacular rides and enjoyable rides I’ve had the pleasure. Hope you had a safe ride there. I don’t recall it particularly risky. But riding a long wheelbase, fully-loaded street bike over the nearby Moki Dugway, well, a little care was needed there...
gnelson likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboard Duke View Post
Just did 300 miles via Utah 12 last Sat

it definitely is on the far Sport edge of sport touring bike in my opinion....but, that is why I bought it My only complaint is that my legs get cramped and I have to pause often for a stretch......but, I don't want a change. i want it just like that and i will just keep pausing
I will be riding on Utah 12, I have ridden it before. It is much less challenging than the route I rode recently in northern CA or Trail Ridge road or the Beartooth.
Ed K likes this.

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:27 PM
Training Wheels

I did an Iron Butt about 6 weeks ago. It needs cruise control to be perfect.
Ed K, gnelson and brucemswan like this.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:30 PM
Knee Dragger

...........for sure the SS isn't an FJR, MS, Trophy, Versus, Norge, RT, RS, K bike, Duke, VFR, or ST.

Another category?

I've taken the SS for a week's trip for 1500k+ miles. But it ain't them. 6k miles in 6 months.

John L
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
...........for sure the SS isn't an FJR, MS, Trophy, Versus, Norge, RT, RS, K bike, Duke, VFR, or ST.

Another category?
There’s “Sport Tourers” (things from the distant Past) and “SuperSport Tourers” (of Today)... Haha...
Miweber929 and Paddlefoot64 like this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page