A Little Too Hot - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 46Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Lower Alabama (LA) USA
Posts: 447
Likes Received: 321
Garage
A Little Too Hot

Not sure what happened, but meant to brake, slow, release and turn. Don’t remember sliding, maybe I just didn’t brake hard enough. Result was almost hitting Armco barrier in other lane. Thompson Gap, near Leeds, AL.


Mike

1976 BMW RĒ1000Ē Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)

Last edited by Paddlefoot64; 10-07-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Paddlefoot64 is online now  
post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:41 PM
Elbow Dragger
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 1,075
Likes Received: 568
look out.

John L
LowRyter is online now  
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Lower Alabama (LA) USA
Posts: 447
Likes Received: 321
Garage
Was more exciting being there than on video.

Mike

1976 BMW RĒ1000Ē Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
Paddlefoot64 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 04:04 PM
Chicken Strips
 
skywurz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA - USA
Posts: 394
Likes Received: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddlefoot64 View Post
Not sure what happened, but meant to brake, slow, release and turn. Donít remember sliding, maybe I just didnít brake hard enough. Result was almost hitting Armco barrier in other lane.

You forgot potentially getting clobbered by incoming around a blind corner.


Where is your camera mounted?if it's on your head this looks like object fixation to me. You should have been looking through the corner.

Skywurz

2017 Supersport
2008 1098
skywurz is online now  
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Lower Alabama (LA) USA
Posts: 447
Likes Received: 321
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywurz View Post
You forgot potentially getting clobbered by incoming around a blind corner.


Where is your camera mounted?if it's on your head this looks like object fixation to me. You should have been looking through the corner.
No, mounted on ignition, but good point about fixation. Itís like I didnít brake hard enough, or was afraid of sliding into barrier. I donít remember ABS kicking in.
Rhino likes this.

Mike

1976 BMW RĒ1000Ē Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
Paddlefoot64 is online now  
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 05:24 PM
Knee Dragger
 
theresanothersteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Adelaide Hills
Posts: 752
Likes Received: 950
Garage
How long had you been riding since your last stop? Looks a bit like fatigue...
Zaphod likes this.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
theresanothersteve is offline  
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Lower Alabama (LA) USA
Posts: 447
Likes Received: 321
Garage
Maybe an hour to hour and a half. Could have been combo of sight fixation, fatigue and the road. Itís kind of off camber. Last year, riding Thruxton, didnít rev match on downshift, resulting in rear wheel slide on curve before that. Both times, near end of long ride.

Mike

1976 BMW RĒ1000Ē Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
Paddlefoot64 is online now  
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:07 PM
Chicken Strips
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 358
Likes Received: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddlefoot64 View Post
It’s like I didn’t brake hard enough,
My take, the very reason the bike stood up and ran straight on was because you applied the brakes when you realized the corner tighten up some.

All motorcycles will tend to stand up when the front brake is applied (initially or harder) when lent over. Understand why, and then you'll know what to do to prevent it.

BUT .... even on the previous corner I got a sense of tension and fighting the bike. It was like you are muscling the bike through corners. My take, it all relates back to a couple basic riding fundamentals.

P.S. And for what its worth, I don't believe 'target fixation' is the root-cause of any crash. It's just a symptom of some other skill failure which put the rider in a frozen panic situation in the first place. I look at all manner of things when I ride without running into them. And a rider must be able to look at many things nearly simultaneously e.g the car in the side street waiting to pull out, always taking in the complete 'environment'.
Snowboard Duke likes this.

Last edited by John; 10-07-2019 at 09:01 PM.
John is online now  
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:09 PM
Chicken Strips
 
spartan1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 521
Likes Received: 429
Garage
Oh My!!! Good that you are safe and that there wasn't an "incident."
Paddlefoot64 likes this.

spartan1984
2017 Ducati Supersport S
2014 Kawasaki Concours
spartan1984 is online now  
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Lower Alabama (LA) USA
Posts: 447
Likes Received: 321
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
My take, the very reason the bike stood up and ran straight on was because you applied the brakes when you realized the corner tighten up some.

All motorcycles will tend to stand up when the front brake is applied (initially or harder) when lent over. Understand why, and then you'll know what to do to prevent it.

BUT .... even on the previous corner I got a sense of tension and fighting the bike. It was like you are muscling the bike through corners. My take, it all relates back to a couple basic riding fundamentals.

P.S. And for what its worth, I don't believe 'target fixation' is the root-cause of any crash. It's just a symptom of some other skill failure which put the rider in a frozen panic situation in the first place. I look at all manner of things when I ride without running into them. And a rider must be able to look at many things nearly simultaneously e.g the car in the side street waiting to pull out, always taking in the complete 'environment'.
Thanks for analysis. I knew Iíd be critiqued thoroughly when I posted, but thought others opinion important. Iíve done panic stops with this bike for practice and a few where stop lights required, so believe Iíve got a good feel for effectiveness of the brakes. Good point on braking making bike stand up. Bottom line, I believe, is the bike would have made it fine through corner if brakes released properly. Didnít see any gravel or deposits that would have caused an issue.
Sunday morning, on the way back over mountain, rain storm had scattered rocks onto roadway that was clean on Thursday.
Snowboard Duke likes this.

Mike

1976 BMW RĒ1000Ē Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
Paddlefoot64 is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome