Seeking Widest Audience - Are LED bulbs possible? - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Question Seeking Widest Audience - Are LED bulbs possible?

First off, I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I'm failing to find any conclusive, "I bought this XXXX LED headlight product (with link) that I didn't have to rewire my bike for and here are before and after pictures of said quality product."

For goodness sake, has anyone bought a plug and play high and low beam, LED bulb replacement that actually allows for seeing into a corner at night?

Please forgive my tone, but it seems like someone out there should have done it by now. And I really mean that, I don't mean to sound "that way" and I know I am (my apologies up front). But, I can't go into the next riding season going into turns on back roads on faith and a nervous throttle wrist because I can't see anything in the upcoming turn.

Does anyone have any ACTUAL knowledge or experience with better lighting and not just Sylvania's brightest halogen, but an HID or LED kit that you can see from space? To be clear, I've seen a lot of speculation like hey, "This product looks good..." but I want someone to respond who has purchased the bulbs, installed them, and are absolutely wowed and impressed by them (and pics would be great).

Please help... and thank you in advance.

-RC

2003 Yamaha R6 > 2005 HD Road King Classic > 2018 Ducati Super Sport S (white)

Last edited by 3rdGearAddiction; 11-07-2019 at 11:31 AM.
post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:50 AM
Elbow Dragger

I have a couple of LED plug n plays on my Guzzis. They are Chinese H4 replacements and fit a round headlight bucket. Also got one in Suzuki Bandit (that didn't fit in a standard headlight bucket). My take is they are about as bright as 55wt bulb. They draw less current, so it's OK considering the Italian electrics in my Guzzis. Regarding the Bandit, 100 wt bulb was so hot over 70k miles of use that the lens was starting to brown.

Overall I didn't get the bright light I was hoping for. It's no worse than the standard 55wt H4.

If someone discovers a really good plug in bulb for a good cost, please share.

John L
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
I have a couple of LED plug n plays on my Guzzis. They are Chinese H4 replacements and fit a round headlight bucket. Also got one in Suzuki Bandit (that didn't fit in a standard headlight bucket). My take is they are about as bright as 55wt bulb. They draw less current, so it's OK considering the Italian electrics in my Guzzis. Regarding the Bandit, 100 wt bulb was so hot over 70k miles of use that the lens was starting to brown.

Overall I didn't get the bright light I was hoping for. It's no worse than the standard 55wt H4.

If someone discovers a really good plug in bulb for a good cost, please share.
Not to hijack my own post but it is extremely frustrating that there isn't a go-to solution for brighter headlights on the Supersport by now. I would've thought for sure someone had bought a set, installed them, and had that ah-ha moment to share with us all, but this seems to be a major mistake on Ducati's part. Horrible lighting and no cruise control... holy crap, how did they miss the mark so far on these two items?

Both the Yamaha FJR1300 and Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE (at least those two) have lean-angle LED lighting built-in to their fairings. One, two, three LED lights light up the more you turn. I wish some third party would make additional lights in the same vein as those lean-angle systems. Imagine instead of the blinkers being in the mirrors, it was an LED array aimed at the corner and the light would be emitted high enough to be useful and only come on once a slight lean is detected, and it wouldn't negatively effect other drivers.

Also, boo on Ducati for not using projector beam headlights at least like my old 2003 R6 did. I mean come on...

-RC
LowRyter likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 01:49 PM
Training Wheels

Garage
I looked at the whole LED bulb thing and I came to the conclusion that the reflector is not specifically designed for LEDs and therefore there would be any particular advantage, despite the fact that generally I really like them.

There also isn't really much space behind the housings for the heat sink that many of the bulbs have.

The bit that was frustrating me was that we have a really nice DRL, but the headlight bulbs didn't match it, and were also a bit feeble.

I ended up fitting Osram Nightbreakers which match the DRL and also produce a really good light. They won't spread to light up corners and have about the same spread as the standard bulbs albeit a lot brighter.

Hope that helps...
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwoodd View Post
I looked at the whole LED bulb thing and I came to the conclusion that the reflector is not specifically designed for LEDs and therefore there would be any particular advantage, despite the fact that generally I really like them.

There also isn't really much space behind the housings for the heat sink that many of the bulbs have.

The bit that was frustrating me was that we have a really nice DRL, but the headlight bulbs didn't match it, and were also a bit feeble.

I ended up fitting Osram Nightbreakers which match the DRL and also produce a really good light. They won't spread to light up corners and have about the same spread as the standard bulbs albeit a lot brighter.

Hope that helps...
allwoodd,

I was heading towards that same conclusion until I saw Ryan's (from FortNine) review of different bulb types and he stated that basically they're meant to "spray light in a 360 direction just like halogens" meaning that they should work and not be reflector specific.

I hope this is the case and someone here has at least tried some... thanks for the input on the Osrams.

-RC

post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 03:48 PM
Elbow Dragger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGearAddiction View Post
allwoodd,

I was heading towards that same conclusion until I saw Ryan's (from FortNine) review of different bulb types and he stated that basically they're meant to "spray light in a 360 direction just like halogens" meaning that they should work and not be reflector specific.

I hope this is the case and someone here has at least tried some... thanks for the input on the Osrams.

-RC
I saw that vid too, but i agree with an earlier post, there isnt much room there for the heat sink.

Keeping It Simple
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 05:17 PM
Training Wheels

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by klev View Post
I saw that vid too, but i agree with an earlier post, there isnt much room there for the heat sink.
I have the ODX bulbs that Ryan @ F9 referred to.

I tried their Sparks, but they weren't bright enough. I eventually went to their Compak line which just BARELY rub the fork legs. This never caused me any issues with the bulbs.

Here's a video of the tight squeeze!

The Ducati reflector plays nice with the Compak, but it isn't near as nice as a projector would be, the same bulbs in my KTM RC390 "seem" twice as bright.
3rdGearAddiction likes this.

My garage:
  • 2008 Ford Expedition MAX
  • 2018 BMW S1000RR
  • 2017 KTM RC 390
Old Bikes:
  • 2011 Honda CBR250R - Sold and is teaching other new riders now.
  • 2017 Ducati SuperSport - Killed in Action May 2019.
The Next Bike: (In order of likelihood to replace S1000RR.)
1. Aprilia Tuono 1100 RR 2. KTM SuperDuke GT 3. Ducati SuperSport S 4. BMW S1000R
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 05:59 PM
Training Wheels

Iíve been on the same mission to find some LED H11s to match the LED DRL. I found some on Amazon which have the drivers built into the case of the bulb - they are the same size as a halogen H11. Iíve just received them and fitted them today. There are no clearance issues between the bulb and forks and the result is that the DRLs and headlights now match in terms of colour temperature. Iíve not yet had chance to take the bike out in the dark to assess the spread on the road. It wonít be this weekend as Iím away but hopefully next week sometime.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:49 AM
Training Wheels

Doh! Forgot to include the link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3rdGearAddiction likes this.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:39 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throbber View Post
Thanks for the link, ordered a set from the US Amazon site.
JaggerCat likes this.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page