Anyone attending the Ready 4 Red Event? - Page 2 - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:56 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper View Post
I'm most looking forward to seeing the MIG-RR electric mountain bike.
There's a battle going on between the motorcycle manufacturers on one hand and the traditional bicycle makers on the other for dominance in the e-bike market. It's not clear yet who will win, but I'd give my vote to the bicycle guys, who know a lot more about these vehicles than the cycle guys and have the volume infrastructure to make it happen.
psyopper likes this.
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:03 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz33v4 View Post
,but I'd give my vote to the bicycle guys, who know a lot more about these vehicles than the cycle guys and have the volume infrastructure to make it happen.
I donít know, though, because some bicycle manufacturers kind of hesitated to accept them right away and Iím not sure everyone associated with them still really gets it. The other thing is people arenít used to walking into a Trek dealer and dropping $2500 for a very much beginner ebike with the high ends reaching $9-$10k. If it has a Yamaha, KTM or Ducati name plate on it, I think itís less of a shock.

I was hesitant at first due to the cost but test rode a couple and bought my wife one, best money we ever spent. Now Iíd like one because id like to get out more like I used to and just donít have the time which makes the time I do get out a struggle and keeps me from riding more. Itís on me to find the time and get in shape but itís hard to do with my schedule. I can say its more fun to ride a while and get tired than ride a little and be spent.

There are some great bikes out ther, however.
djcmx49 likes this.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 04:31 PM
Chicken Strips

Garage
Big dump of snow then rain and then back to snow on Saturday here so I was unable to make the 2+hr drive to the Detroit show...

Don C.
Sunshine and my ride is all I need...
2018 Ducati Supersport S, "Solana"
2017 Ducati Supersport S, "Annabella"
2006 Honda CBR600RR, "Red-Rocket"
1990 Honda VFR400 , "Baby V"
and a dozen more previously owned bikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 06:40 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
I don’t know, though, because some bicycle manufacturers kind of hesitated to accept them right away and I’m not sure everyone associated with them still really gets it. The other thing is people aren’t used to walking into a Trek dealer and dropping $2500 for a very much beginner ebike with the high ends reaching $9-$10k. If it has a Yamaha, KTM or Ducati name plate on it, I think it’s less of a shock.

I was hesitant at first due to the cost but test rode a couple and bought my wife one, best money we ever spent. Now I’d like one because id like to get out more like I used to and just don’t have the time which makes the time I do get out a struggle and keeps me from riding more. It’s on me to find the time and get in shape but it’s hard to do with my schedule. I can say its more fun to ride a while and get tired than ride a little and be spent.
I'm really conflicted on these e-bikes. On the one hand, if they are allowed on regular mountain bike trails, that could be a bad mix - I don't want a guy on his motorized bike to blitz by me going up a steep hill on singletrack. On the other hand, if e-bikes get people on bicycles who otherwise wouldn't ride, that's a good thing. OBTW, I've been riding mountain bike trails for over 30 years and still ride 3 to 4 times per week, weather permitting, and find that activity the perfect compliment to motorcycling. Oh, and I'll turn 72 this year.
Miweber929 likes this.
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 09:27 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
I'm really conflicted on these e-bikes. On the one hand, if they are allowed on regular mountain bike trails, that could be a bad mix - I don't want a guy on his motorized bike to blitz by me going up a steep hill on singletrack. On the other hand, if e-bikes get people on bicycles who otherwise wouldn't ride, that's a good thing. OBTW, I've been riding mountain bike trails for over 30 years and still ride 3 to 4 times per week, weather permitting, and find that activity the perfect compliment to motorcycling. Oh, and I'll turn 72 this year.
Iím not up on all the different classes if ebikes, but Iím all for the pedal assist bikes like my wife has which I think are called Class A. I think thatís where the confusion comes in, lots of people assume an ebike is a bike with an electric motor what you twist a ďthrottleĒ like you would a motorcycle, THAT I am against, and I believe those are class C. My wifeís bike, and most GOOD ebikes, you have to pedal to get an assist and they are top speed and ďassistĒ limited so you canít just gas it and go, you have to pedal. It just eases your pedal strokes, but itís up to you and your pedaling to make it move.

Mike

- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 10:01 AM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Iím not up on all the different classes if ebikes, but Iím all for the pedal assist bikes like my wife has which I think are called Class A. I think thatís where the confusion comes in, lots of people assume an ebike is a bike with an electric motor what you twist a ďthrottleĒ like you would a motorcycle, THAT I am against, and I believe those are class C. My wifeís bike, and most GOOD ebikes, you have to pedal to get an assist and they are top speed and ďassistĒ limited so you canít just gas it and go, you have to pedal. It just eases your pedal strokes, but itís up to you and your pedaling to make it move.
I've ridden one of those e-assist bikes around a parking lot, so I have just a tiny amount of experience with them. I understand how they work, but am wary of their use on dedicated mountain bike trails. Anyone who has spent time on trails knows climbing separates "the men from boys", so-to-speak. It requires excellent physical fitness that is not easily obtained. The e-bikes are a short cut to fitness - you didn't do the work, but your performance makes it appear that you did. Kinda like taking diet pills to reduce weight rather than reducing food intake and increasing physical exercise.

On the other hand, it gets more people on bikes, so they get at least some exercise. I'm still conflicted.
Miweber929 likes this.
post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 12:12 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Anyone who has spent time on trails knows climbing separates "the men from boys", so-to-speak. It requires excellent physical fitness that is not easily obtained. The e-bikes are a short cut to fitness - you didn't do the work, but your performance makes it appear that you did. Kinda like taking diet pills to reduce weight rather than reducing food intake and increasing physical exercise.

On the other hand, it gets more people on bikes, so they get at least some exercise. I'm still conflicted.
Everyone has a right to their opinion, and I absolutely get where youíre coming from, I was very much conflicted about them as well early on. There was a time in my life I had the time to be in the shape to ride 75-100 road miles a day or spend 5 hours on the trail climbing but I donít anymore, and sold all my ďgoodĒ bikes because I couldnít find the time to ride all day like I used to which made it less fun and I hated seeing them sit. I was once a member of several bicycling clubs, worked building trails and donated to the causes mountain bikers face, I donít anymore because I donít ride much anymore. Itís a choice I made, I get it, but for this point in my life Iím choosing work and ďquiet timeĒ over riding enough to maintain that level of bicycle fitness to go alL day.

You can look at it being an ďearnedĒ thing, or separating Ēthe men from boysĒ but the simple fact is you do ďearnĒ because you still have to pedal, and if an ebike means I can go riding to places I normally couldnít because Iím not there yet physically, my wife can now ride as far as me and at the pace I do or I can take 3 laps instead of 1, Iím more likely to ride as are many others. For something that needs outside funding, participants and acceptance, the more people that do it, the better and an ebike is way to get it all. I know Iíd start back in helping and funding if I was doing it again. And still you build fitness because youíre going father and longer which eventually makes you use the E portion less and less.

My wife and I used to ride maybe 40 miles total a year together, her bitching the entire way and 3 days after about her legs. We now do 40-50 miles a weekend 9 or 10 times a summer and have a blast. No bitching, no real complaining and we talk about biking even more now which is a start.

I think thatís what ebikes bring.
djcmx49 and brucemswan like this.

Mike

- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:16 AM
Training Wheels

I attended the Detroit event and really enjoyed it. The rep from Ducati was very knowledgeable and his power point presentation was very entertaining. The new bikes look amazing and our local dealer had the event catered.
Ed K and djcmx49 like this.
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Going now!

If any pic requests, post here and Iíll try to capture!

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Does not appear a 1200 SS is even being considered...

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page