Ducati sales numbers 2019 - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Garage
Ducati sales numbers 2019

Domenicali has published this photo on his Twitter profile where only the sales by model and by geographical area are listed.

Unfortunately SuperSport sells less and less, only XDiavel does worse. And in Italy it is out of the Top 100 of the best-selling motorcycles, the last in the standings (Honda CBR 650 R) has sold 252 units. In 2017 SuperSport closed in 43rd place with 487 units sold, in 2018 in 80th place with 293.
I thought the SuperSport was a little "understood" bike in the Italian market but I see that the numbers are low even in the global market
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8951.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	39626  
Ed K, Lambo, Oldrider and 1 others like this.
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 08:54 AM
Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany65 View Post

Domenicali has published this photo on his Twitter profile where only the sales by model and by geographical area are listed.

Unfortunately SuperSport sells less and less, only XDiavel does worse. And in Italy it is out of the Top 100 of the best-selling motorcycles, the last in the standings (Honda CBR 650 R) has sold 252 units. In 2017 SuperSport closed in 43rd place with 487 units sold, in 2018 in 80th place with 293.
I thought the SuperSport was a little "understood" bike in the Italian market but I see that the numbers are low even in the global market
Thank you for this information!

In my opinion, you can clearly see from the sales figures that Supersport does not have an independent market position. It misses the clear profile. It is far too close to the Panigale family. With the Streetfighter family (V4 and later V2) the situation gets even worse. The Streetfighter V4 and V2 will fill the role of the sporty everyday machine. Ducati will have to develop the touring qualities of the Supersport to a much greater extent. Otherwise the model can only be discontinued.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 10:34 AM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuXseN View Post
Thank you for this information! In my opinion, you can clearly see from the sales figures that Supersport does not have an independent market position. It misses the clear profile. It is far too close to the Panigale family. With the Streetfighter family (V4 and later V2) the situation gets even worse. The Streetfighter V4 and V2 will fill the role of the sporty everyday machine. Ducati will have to develop the touring qualities of the Supersport to a much greater extent. Otherwise the model can only be discontinued.
IMO the Supersport does, indeed, have a clear market position as a comfortable sport bike, but it is fighting human nature. People's egos get in the way here and the Panigale models will always be the "cooler", go-to sport bikes in the Ducati family. "Settling" for a Supersport shows the world that you aren't ready for the real thing to some folks. A Supersport is the rational choice for street riding, but motorcycles are anything but rational.

Ducati will keep the SuperSport around, but due to its slow sales there won't be many changes/updates.
Derek, gnelson, djcmx49 and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 11:49 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz33v4 View Post
IMO the Supersport does, indeed, have a clear market position as a comfortable sport bike, but it is fighting human nature. People's egos get in the way here and the Panigale models will always be the "cooler", go-to sport bikes in the Ducati family. "Settling" for a Supersport shows the world that you aren't ready for the real thing to some folks. A Supersport is the rational choice for street riding, but motorcycles are anything but rational.
This is very true and the Supersports “problem” when it comes to selling it. Remember the boyfriend/girlfriend video tests from last week we were all discussing? That’s the US in a nutshell: if it isn’t ridiculous and over the top for what I actually “need” or should get I don’t like it.

The Honda 650F suffered the same fate, it was a flop until they spiced it up and made it look racerboy, called it the 650R and now it’s actually, kinda, selling. too bad, the F was a nice bike.

I for one am glad Ducati made this bike and am not going to dwell on the fact it’s not a worldwide hit, doesn’t matter regardless. I will hold onto mine until something better comes along or the bike doesn’t do what I want it to, until then, anyone who doesn’t get it is the dumb one, not me.

The other thing I’ll add is the graphic is misleading because every Panigale model is lumped under one heading so individually their sales numbers are probably closer to the SS numbers.
Hilly712, Rhino, Derek and 4 others like this.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 01:56 PM
Elbow Dragger

I wonder who these folks are that purchase these Panigales? Certainly a different demographic from the 20 years olds that bought cheap GSX-R's 15 years ago. I am guessing those Panigales don't get ridden a heck of a lot of miles by their 50+ year old owners, nor many folks running a track day with a $25k work of art.

Just a thought.

I am surprised when I go to a dealer and find someone traded a Harley for a Duc, or vice versa. And note how many low mileage Harley and Ducati garage queens are for sale.

Harley and Duc make some models that are driven lots of miles, my guess is that the radical customs and most savage sportbikes are not so much.

John L

Ducs quack at midnight and 9am

Last edited by LowRyter; 01-19-2020 at 02:00 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

@Dany65 Thank you, very interesting.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 10:30 PM
Training Wheels

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
I for one am glad Ducati made this bike and am not going to dwell on the fact it’s not a worldwide hit, doesn’t matter regardless. I will hold onto mine until something better comes along or the bike doesn’t do what I want it to, until then, anyone who doesn’t get it is the dumb one, not me.
Exactly how I feel. Who knows, perhaps they’ll discontinue the SS and we all have something even more special. All good either way!
Rhino, Miweber929 and Oldrider like this.

2017 Ducati Supersport S
1997 Ducati 748 Monoposto
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200
2001 HD Road King Classic
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 07:45 AM
Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz33v4 View Post

Ducati will keep the SuperSport around, but due to its slow sales there won't be many changes/updates.
It is true enough for me. I'm thinking about why I didn't just buy a Panigale right away. The Supersport is a Panigale with higher handlebars. And this is supposed to be the clear and unique market position? Oh wow...

I'm currently installing wider handlebars from Ducabike on my Supersport and I bought the higher comfort seat. If I can't get the bike closer to touring with it, I will sell it. Then either the Tuono, the Streetfighter V4 (2020), Streetfighter V2 (2021) or the new S 1000 R (2021) will be coming in.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 09:37 AM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuXseN View Post
It is true enough for me. I'm thinking about why I didn't just buy a Panigale right away. The Supersport is a Panigale with higher handlebars. And this is supposed to be the clear and unique market position? Oh wow...

I'm currently installing wider handlebars from Ducabike on my Supersport and I bought the higher comfort seat. If I can't get the bike closer to touring with it, I will sell it. Then either the Tuono, the Streetfighter V4 (2020), Streetfighter V2 (2021) or the new S 1000 R (2021) will be coming in.
The SuperSport is more than a Panigale with higher bars; it also has lower pegs and a comfortable seat to improve the ergos. Also, fitting the 11 degree motor makes it smoother and less aggressive than the superbike tune, which makes sense for the street. Bikes like the Panigale are wonderful if you live near twisty roads in good condition or a race track, but if you don't they are too narrow focus, especially if it's your only motorcycle. The bikes you mention as alternatives are much more "sport" than "touring", with the exception of the BMW S1000R. Without wind protection these just aren't viable in my book, unless all your rides are for short distances at lower speeds.

The SuperSport market position is clear enough, but riders aren't often rational; they make decisions emotionally. I've been riding for over 50 years, have owned some 22 motorcycles in that time, from naked bikes to full-on superbikes and have 2 amateur road racing titles to my name. One of my favorite bikes was my '99 SuperSport, especially after I modified the chassis/brakes/engine to my taste and removed 50 lbs. With only 95 RWHP and 390 lbs wet it performed my sport touring duties impeccably, which is why I kept it for 15 years and 22,000 miles. The SuperSport 939 was a the next logical step for me.

Coming from the Domestic auto industry, I'd compare the SuperSport situation to that of Minivans versus SUVs. Anyone who has owned a minivan has to admit it makes a lot more sense for families than an SUV - more interior space and more adaptability by far. Somehow, however, minivans have the "soccer mom" image and have lost favor with the buying public, while SUVs, offering off-road capabilities most will never use, have flourished, despite the same duty cycle as minivans, in most cases. People buy Panigales (and other superbikes) because they make them look cool and to show they buy "the best", even though the bikes' capabilities can only be found on race tracks. It's what humans do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACP_2091 Compressed.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	39636   Click image for larger version

Name:	2000-09-26 08.38.18.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	39638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2117_zps073cdcde (2).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	39640   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-05-15 13.26.07.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	39642  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 12:25 PM
Elbow Dragger

Regarding riding twisty roads for the SS vs Panigale. I'd think the higher bars would give better leverage and would make the SS a better choice. Not much change to use all the extra power when the road is twisty, where momentum, handing and gearing work. Of course Panigale would leave the SS for dead on a track. The lower bars and a great aero advantage to keep a road race rider tucked out of the air stream.
rz33v4 likes this.

John L

Ducs quack at midnight and 9am

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page