Ducati Panniers - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Ducati Panniers

I finally broke down and purchased the Ducati panniers today. My local dealer had them in stock so I brought them home and started assembling them. The carrier was no issue to fit. The right bag clasp was a tight fit but I managed to get it to slip in place. The left bag will not go in place; there is not enough clearance for the lower clasp to fit under the rail. I was afraid to try and force it as it is plastic. Anyone else have any issues fitting these bags?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1414.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	35692  

Looking for the Road Less Traveled...and a good cup of Joe.
http://motorheadcoffee.com/
post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:14 PM

I've had my set for 9 months and it's still a little stiff. I find using the side of my upper leg (hip if you're shorter) to push the pannier helps. The plastic deforms just enough so the lug can be seated on the framework.
Ed K likes this.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:16 PM

I have the Ducati panniers as well. I believe it was the left side for me that was a tight fit. It has gotten easier to take on and off the more I've used it.

It's hard to tell from your picture how close it is to fitting. If it obviously won't go on, I'd probably call the dealer and see what they want to do about it. Maybe you got a faulty one. If it's close to fitting, maybe try a little lubricant. Press down on the bag as you try to press it in, it might buy you a little extra space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll give it another go and see if I can make it fit. If not, I already talked to the the mechanic at my dealership about it and will take it down one day and let him take a look.

post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
I finally broke down and purchased the Ducati panniers today. My local dealer had them in stock so I brought them home and started assembling them. The carrier was no issue to fit. The right bag clasp was a tight fit but I managed to get it to slip in place. The left bag will not go in place; there is not enough clearance for the lower clasp to fit under the rail. I was afraid to try and force it as it is plastic. Anyone else have any issues fitting these bags?
I did my assembling today and canít fit any of them.... Its to tight. And you need to have the key in the lock while you do it and of course, i broke it when i tried...
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I have the key and opened the locks. Breaking it is what I'm afraid of, which is why I didn't force it to hard. A high price to pay for bags that don't fit well.

post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:49 PM

Garage
Yeah. Expensive bags and really crappy fit.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

The panniers are stylish and functional if not very capacious, but the latching mechanism is not robust.

At least one other member I can recall broke the latch too.

Mine are also very tight. But knowing they are fragile, was very careful when I used them on an extended trip. Also brought Rok Straps on the trip in the case that the latch failed and needed to otherwise strap them on thousands of miles from home. Thankfully, that didn’t happen.

However, I did find, as did at least one other Forum member, that a pannier frame screw sheared off, as noted in this thread. (A different member than the one who broke the latch.)

https://www.ducatisupersport939.net/...ft-off-15.html

They’re nice panniers, and the mounting point does loosen-up with time, but they need to be handled carefully.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:17 AM
owl

Garage
I found that a little silicone grease helped a bit.
Ed K, macraige and PeeWee939S like this.

Ducati Supersport S
KTM 1290 SuperDuke R-SE
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 05:27 AM

Garage
Fitting mine next week in readiness for a 2000km trip. Thanks for the warnings
Ed K likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page