Pannier Bracket Bolt Broke - Page 9 - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

@LowRyter Sorry you have to go through this...but good idea to check the work.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #82 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 11:40 AM
Elbow Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I've scanned the installation instructions and combined the images into the attached pdf file. I hope that helps.
I can't really be sure if the installation by the dealer was the cause but I can't help wondering. 20Nm for the special bolts is not a lot of torque.

Edit: the file is too big I have uploaded the images instead.
Thanks so much. I appreciate all the effort it took to find that and scan it. I was shocked how loose the bolts were on the rack after I took it off yesterday. No doubt the previous owner or shop had it way tight. I did see the passenger pegs torque listed 30nm (22 ft lb) (+ what color Loctite not on mine?), that also surprised me.

I think the whole deal is meant to be bolted up with simple allen wrenches. I used a swivel ratchet to get it apart the first time.

I'll admit I was a little pissed at Ducati when they made me eat the bill and still wouldn't give me the torque values to prevent this from happening again. I am going to keep the rack off until I put the bags on. It's only 6 bolts and a 5 minute job.

John L
post #83 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 11:45 AM
Elbow Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
@LowRyter Sorry you have to go through this...but good idea to check the work.
Thanks. I hope other members here can avoid what I went through. I'm keeping the rack off the bike when not using the bags.

I've seen several posts, including here and Youtube, that those lateral bolts are prone to shearing (certainly better failure vs the special bolts as I had). I think for sure they are too short. I noticed that the tech that reinstalled my brackets used the longer ones I supplied rather than original ones. Perhaps this was posted by someone here?

John L

Last edited by LowRyter; 10-24-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yes, the vid in the post immediately above was posted on this Forum by a Forum member. As I recall, he was the first to report the shearing of this right-side, non-load bearing bolt, that connects frame pieces. This is exactly the same as what happened with mine. Also on the right side.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the connecting frame pieces (on the right side of mine) don't align and I believe is causing shearing stress on the small bolt. Perhaps suspension flex could also be causing shearing stress, not sure.

I haven't gotten to it yet, but whatever the cause may be, I will bend the pieces to proper alignment, as well as replace the bolt with a 12.9 to see if that helps, and advise.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #85 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 10:47 PM
Elbow Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
Yes, the vid in the post immediately above was posted on this Forum by a Forum member. As I recall, he was the first to report the shearing of this right-side, non-load bearing bolt, that connects frame pieces. This is exactly the same as what happened with mine. Also on the right side.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the connecting frame pieces (on the right side of mine) don't align and I believe is causing shearing stress on the small bolt. Perhaps suspension flex could also be causing shearing stress, not sure.

I haven't gotten to it yet, but whatever the cause may be, I will bend the pieces to proper alignment, as well as replace the bolt with a 12.9 to see if that helps, and advise.
When I attempted to replaced mine, the right side does indeed bind. Again, you still might check the bolt length. I don't think replacement 20mm can sink completely, much less the supplied 18mm.

12.8 grade 20mm are available at Lowe's for $1/pair.

John L

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page