Monster to SuperSport - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 26Likes
  • 4 Post By Cksnffr
  • 5 Post By theresanothersteve
  • 1 Post By wig
  • 1 Post By 1uglybastard
  • 6 Post By Volambre
  • 1 Post By Ed K
  • 2 Post By amoslws
  • 1 Post By 1uglybastard
  • 5 Post By amoslws
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Likes Received: 4
Monster to SuperSport

Hey all. Currently riding a Monster 696, but looking at new options. I'm focusing on sport bikes that are a little more comfortable than track-only and that would be suitable for the occasional road trip. I also commute on my 696, and the first half of that commute is through canyon roads. (People travel from other states just to ride what amounts to my commute.)

I test rode a base SuperSport, and it's at the top of my list right now.
Ed K, Ventura17SS, gnelson and 1 others like this.
Cksnffr is offline  
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 06:51 PM
Senior Member
 
theresanothersteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Adelaide Hills
Posts: 680
Likes Received: 835
Garage
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cksnffr View Post
... I'm focusing on sport bikes that are a little more comfortable than track-only and that would be suitable for the occasional road trip. I also commute on my 696, and the first half of that commute is through canyon roads. (People travel from other states just to ride what amounts to my commute.)...
I'm in exactly the same position, including half my commute being through roads people seek out on the weekend.

After 18 months and nearly 18000 kms I still hate it when I can't get out on my SSS. I think nothing of riding 500ks in a day just for the joy of singing to myself as the miles roll away. I still go down to the shed just to admire, and brush away imagined specks of dust.

Whatever you buy I hope you get the same pleasure.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
theresanothersteve is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
 
Ed K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: America
Posts: 4,292
Likes Received: 2043
Welcome! @Cksnffr

You’ll love the SS!

What part of the world are you from?

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Ed K is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:05 AM
wig
Member
 
wig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Chicagoing
Posts: 77
Likes Received: 61
Garage
You are in a similar situation to where I was, albeit I came off a slightly more powerful bike (BMW S1000R), but the same riding style. The switch to the SSS was huge for me. The seating position is a perfect blend of sporty and comfortable at the same time. As a nice bonus you get the looks of a super bike, without the pains.

In your case I suspect you'll pick up a bit of performance from the 696, but expect to feel like some of the edges were softened. The SSS just feels more a part of you than almost any bike I've ever had. It truly inspires confidence in turns and general riding. Best way to say it - the bike feels a part of you. Highly recommend it!
Dino de Laurentiis likes this.

Dozens of bikes: $$$$
Look on neighbors' faces: Priceless
wig is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
1uglybastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NOLA
Posts: 760
Likes Received: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by wig View Post
You are in a similar situation to where I was, albeit I came off a slightly more powerful bike (BMW S1000R), but the same riding style. The switch to the SSS was huge for me. The seating position is a perfect blend of sporty and comfortable at the same time. As a nice bonus you get the looks of a super bike, without the pains.

In your case I suspect you'll pick up a bit of performance from the 696, but expect to feel like some of the edges were softened. The SSS just feels more a part of you than almost any bike I've ever had. It truly inspires confidence in turns and general riding. Best way to say it - the bike feels a part of you. Highly recommend it!
You got that right. The other day someone pulled up next to me and asked me if my SS was a Panigale.

To me, the SS is in between my old 696 and my 1100 Evo. I sometimes miss the boost of the 1100, though.
Volambre likes this.
1uglybastard is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Volambre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 138
Likes Received: 102
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cksnffr View Post
Hey all. Currently riding a Monster 696, but looking at new options. I'm focusing on sport bikes that are a little more comfortable than track-only and that would be suitable for the occasional road trip. I also commute on my 696, and the first half of that commute is through canyon roads. (People travel from other states just to ride what amounts to my commute.)

I test rode a base SuperSport, and it's at the top of my list right now.
Same i traded a monster 821 in for the SSS. it's everything i loved about the monster with the addition of things i wanted to add to the monster anyway (ie. more aggressive handle bars and stance).

i actually get tired of explaining to none riders its not a rocket ship. That it's actually very practical. think i might just start letting people think what ever... yup fastest bike in the world right here guys lol!!!
Ed K, amoslws, djcmx49 and 3 others like this.
Volambre is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
 
Ed K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: America
Posts: 4,292
Likes Received: 2043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volambre View Post
Same i traded a monster 821 in for the SSS. it's everything i loved about the monster with the addition of things i wanted to add to the monster anyway (ie. more aggressive handle bars and stance).

i actually get tired of explaining to none riders its not a rocket ship. That it's actually very practical. think i might just start letting people think what ever... yup fastest bike in the world right here guys lol!!!
Haha, yeah... know what you mean...
Miweber929 likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Ed K is online now  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:23 AM
Senior Member
 
amoslws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Somewhere South
Posts: 3,765
Likes Received: 2870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volambre View Post
Same i traded a monster 821 in for the SSS. it's everything i loved about the monster with the addition of things i wanted to add to the monster anyway (ie. more aggressive handle bars and stance).

i actually get tired of explaining to none riders its not a rocket ship. That it's actually very practical. think i might just start letting people think what ever... yup fastest bike in the world right here guys lol!!!
Yeah it's irritating when people ask if it's quicker than the Kawa H2, I say yeah with some gearing changes but the SS turns better and that's where the fun is. Gearing can be changed but handling, well that's a kawasaki for you.
djcmx49 and NothingClever like this.
amoslws is online now  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:05 AM
Senior Member
 
1uglybastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NOLA
Posts: 760
Likes Received: 563
Biggest compliment I got on my Ducati was from an older man who took one look at it and said, "That's a YOUNG man's bike!"
Miweber929 likes this.
1uglybastard is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:10 AM
Senior Member
 
amoslws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Somewhere South
Posts: 3,765
Likes Received: 2870
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post
Biggest compliment I got on my Ducati was from an older man who took one look at it and said, "That's a YOUNG man's bike!"

That's a nice way for someone to start a conversation. It's true though that it's a younger person's bike but still it's so comfortable for us older guys too.
amoslws is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome