Ducati SuperSport Forum banner

5K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Paddlefoot64 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well! Looking to get my first Ducati and instead of lurking am now looking for some advice before diving in!

I'm currently on a Ninja 400, really attracted to the SuperSport S and have only had the chance to see and sit on one. I will be test driving one soon to help with the decision. The small dilemma I have is that there is a very low mileage (under 500m) 2017 with a lot of aftermarket upgrades. Carbon fiber, caps, Akrapovic Slip-on, comfort seat and some others. Would this be a better option than a new 2019? I could not find any differences across the models years and wanted to reach out to the masses.

Of course I'll also be looking at others like the ZX-6R and ZX-10R. Wife asked me, "why not the H2 SX/SE+?" Maybe I'll go take a look, but that just seems like overkill for me and my needs/skill level. Still new to riding, but very comfortable with maneuvering and safety moves. I will be riding this on the streets with no plans for track and to just enjoy riding around in a sport fashion. I'm not the type to go insane and try to race, just want enjoyment out of the ride.

Thanks in advance for the advice and opinions!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome aboard, Panda.

Lots of helpful folks here. Pretty mature crowd. Well, except for me....I strive to be pretty juvenile.

Anyways, how can we help?

BTW, don’t get a white bike. I’ll call you names and fart in your general direction....over the internet, of course.

#3 ·
As far as I'm aware there are no differences between the 17 and 19 that shouldn't have been addressed through recall. Is the 17 an S? The only thing I'd be suspicious of is the milage. Why was it sold with only 500mls. Most who ride it love it. I've been riding for 47 years and the SuperSport has all the engine I need. For all those 47 years I've heard many talk of needing more power. Then you ride with them and find that most aren't using anywhere close to the power they already have. To be fair, a few do soop up their rides and use it to the full. Some of them are even still alive and riding.

Anyway, whatever you end up with, stop looking at others - until you're ready to change again - ride the wheels off and enjoy whatever you buy. Pretty hard to pick a bad machine these days.

#4 ·
I bought my ‘18 that had a few miles on it. If I were you, I’d decide if I needed the warranty or not and let that decide for you. Remember the warranty starts when the bike was put in service even if it was a demo.

#5 ·
LoL...

Panda, I can see you went back and clarified your decision considerations and so forth. My response looks like I have trouble with reading comprehension (although I’m not sure today is any different than any other day).

I think Keith and Paddlefoot gave great advice.

I wouldn’t be put off so much by the low mileage. I just had a 2015 899 Panigale evaporate under my eyes...it only had 476 miles on it. Probably a dentist or an accountant bought it and decided it was too much bike. Anyways, find the shop it was serviced at, ask questions, etc, etc.

I will say based on your description of intentions, I think the SS will hit the sweet spot.

I’m probably lending to your confirmation bias but sometimes that isn’t a bad thing.

#7 ·
I think you are too. Haha, which isn’t a bad thing! Overall I think I know why type of ride I want and it’s a sweet spot. I’m not too concerned with the low mileage, I am notorious for switching toys way too early as well. I just wanted to see if there was something I missed. Though the lack of LED lights is a bummer.

#6 ·
I asked about the low mileage and why. I’m pretty sure the reason was random, went from not sure why, to Ducati customers having too much money and was a short lived endeavor that scared them. Either way, they said it checked out and all recalls were done. The warranty is something that I keep considering, while over two thousand in savings is great, so is peace of mind for me with these things. But I also haven’t found any huge potential issues. There’s also the other side of me that’s wondering if they will unveil a new model this fall.

#8 ·
While it’s purely my gut feel, I don’t think we’ll see a new SS model this fall.

There’s a lot of attention on getting the V4 power plant all smoothed out and the likely introduction of a V4 Streetfighter model. Plus, the EU sales of the SS have been modest. If Ducati weren’t on a trajectory of re-inventing themselves a bit with the V4, then maybe they’d try to spice up the SS to stimulate sales.

However, I think this next year they are going to trim back production to match historical demands and focus attention on the V4 series.

#12 ·
Small update, th 2017 is most likely sold!
If you’re in the United States and have the option of doing a fly-n-ride, AMS Ducati has some lightly used and new previous MY ones for sale. If I were in the market for an SS, I’d be all over that option. The few track bikes they’ve had have evaporated before I could get off my butt to purchase and arrange shipping to Florida.

Pretty sure @LowRyter bought his bike there. He’ll probably have great first hand info about the dealership and the area, too.

#14 ·
Welcome mate. In short this is a great bike by any standards and quite exciting to ride at any level the torque is really great fun on the street...... Now the ZX10 is the opposite !! I know some great riders that have come short on that bike. It’s a great bike but it can catch you out quick if you get cocky that bike is best suited to the track and a bike you move onto once you have honed your liter bike skills. Enjoy the forum

#15 ·
#17 ·
Y'all are great! I'm in the US and will look into the fly and ride option. I plan on going solo for a long time, wife is up for riding on the back but that won't come for a while. We have kids and that, "just in case" mentality. Should be able to test ride the SSS this week, looking forward to deciding on either a 2018 or 2019 since there aren't changes. I'll probably entertain a ZX-6R or other just to make sure, even have some other Ducati models on the radar. Hopefully I'll have one to officially join the family before the weekend!

#18 ·
In my opinion, for a ‘17 you should probably see more than a couple of thousand off. Dealers probably can’t offer too much off a new bike (or get in trouble with Ducati), some may even designate one as a demo just to be able to reduce price. A used bike, they should be able to be competitive. Look through Cycle Trader to see what the going prices are for 2017 models. Make sure you’re comparing apples to apples as some listings may say S model, but you can see from photos they are not.
Good luck. I know I love my SSS.

Reactions: NothingClever
#20 ·
Reactions: NothingClever
#25 ·
Welcome Pandamoanium!

I'm in the UK so things may be different here than there...but regarding the 'extras' on the '17 bike...that's the first buyers loss, don't let it be yours.

There are very few aftermarket additions that hold any value. Case in point: as a second bike to my SS, I just bought a '14 Multistrada with over £5k of extras. Titanium full exhaust system, and carbon everything. It cost me the same as a comparable standard bike. I bought it from my local Ducati main dealer with warranty etc. I even got all the swapped out parts in with the deal. Basically the previous owner lost every penny of the cost of those extras.

Have you ever offered a car or bike to a dealer and they've added money because of the extras? Neither have I.

If you go for an SS, and I highly recommend you do, get the best deal you can, and don't factor in the cost of extras.

Good luck!

#28 ·
Small update: Finally had time to test the SSS, looked out for the nuances I discovered in the forums and such. Definitely a bike in the top of the list of potential purchase. I’m going to try out and test the S1000RR. Even though they’re different in class and ergonomics among other things, the price point is bringing them together for me. Some sweet deals to be had for the 2018-2019 models and while the new 2020 is nice, I think it’ll be a year or so before things are worked out and I’ll comfortably do stuff to it.

The small test drive I had was pretty good, I think my expectations were way too high and I hyped up myself and the bike too much. Only feature I really paid attention to was the QS and I liked it. Heat definitely was apparent even 5 minutes in but not a huge deal in my opinion.

#32 ·
Thought my SSS was hot, but rode the Thruxton this weekend. Not a whole lot of difference, it’s just that the Duc sort of concentrates it to the thigh area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.