New Member - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well! Looking to get my first Ducati and instead of lurking am now looking for some advice before diving in!

I'm currently on a Ninja 400, really attracted to the SuperSport S and have only had the chance to see and sit on one. I will be test driving one soon to help with the decision. The small dilemma I have is that there is a very low mileage (under 500m) 2017 with a lot of aftermarket upgrades. Carbon fiber, caps, Akrapovic Slip-on, comfort seat and some others. Would this be a better option than a new 2019? I could not find any differences across the models years and wanted to reach out to the masses.

Of course I'll also be looking at others like the ZX-6R and ZX-10R. Wife asked me, "why not the H2 SX/SE+?" Maybe I'll go take a look, but that just seems like overkill for me and my needs/skill level. Still new to riding, but very comfortable with maneuvering and safety moves. I will be riding this on the streets with no plans for track and to just enjoy riding around in a sport fashion. I'm not the type to go insane and try to race, just want enjoyment out of the ride.

Thanks in advance for the advice and opinions!

Last edited by Pandamoanium; 07-31-2019 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Changes didn't post.
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:07 PM
SuperSport Master

Welcome aboard, Panda.

Lots of helpful folks here. Pretty mature crowd. Well, except for me....I strive to be pretty juvenile.

Anyways, how can we help?

BTW, don’t get a white bike. I’ll call you names and fart in your general direction....over the internet, of course.

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:40 PM
Training Wheels

As far as I'm aware there are no differences between the 17 and 19 that shouldn't have been addressed through recall. Is the 17 an S? The only thing I'd be suspicious of is the milage. Why was it sold with only 500mls. Most who ride it love it. I've been riding for 47 years and the SuperSport has all the engine I need. For all those 47 years I've heard many talk of needing more power. Then you ride with them and find that most aren't using anywhere close to the power they already have. To be fair, a few do soop up their rides and use it to the full. Some of them are even still alive and riding.

Anyway, whatever you end up with, stop looking at others - until you're ready to change again - ride the wheels off and enjoy whatever you buy. Pretty hard to pick a bad machine these days.
NothingClever and Miweber929 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 03:59 PM
Chicken Strips

Garage
I bought my ‘18 that had a few miles on it. If I were you, I’d decide if I needed the warranty or not and let that decide for you. Remember the warranty starts when the bike was put in service even if it was a demo.
NothingClever and Miweber929 like this.

Mike

1976 BMW R”1000” Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:12 PM
SuperSport Master

LoL...

Panda, I can see you went back and clarified your decision considerations and so forth. My response looks like I have trouble with reading comprehension (although I’m not sure today is any different than any other day).

I think Keith and Paddlefoot gave great advice.

I wouldn’t be put off so much by the low mileage. I just had a 2015 899 Panigale evaporate under my eyes...it only had 476 miles on it. Probably a dentist or an accountant bought it and decided it was too much bike. Anyways, find the shop it was serviced at, ask questions, etc, etc.

I will say based on your description of intentions, I think the SS will hit the sweet spot.

I’m probably lending to your confirmation bias but sometimes that isn’t a bad thing.
Miweber929 likes this.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

I asked about the low mileage and why. I’m pretty sure the reason was random, went from not sure why, to Ducati customers having too much money and was a short lived endeavor that scared them. Either way, they said it checked out and all recalls were done. The warranty is something that I keep considering, while over two thousand in savings is great, so is peace of mind for me with these things. But I also haven’t found any huge potential issues. There’s also the other side of me that’s wondering if they will unveil a new model this fall.
NothingClever likes this.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingClever View Post
LoL...

Panda, I can see you went back and clarified your decision considerations and so forth. My response looks like I have trouble with reading comprehension (although I’m not sure today is any different than any other day).

I think Keith and Paddlefoot gave great advice.

I wouldn’t be put off so much by the low mileage. I just had a 2015 899 Panigale evaporate under my eyes...it only had 476 miles on it. Probably a dentist or an accountant bought it and decided it was too much bike. Anyways, find the shop it was serviced at, ask questions, etc, etc.

I will say based on your description of intentions, I think the SS will hit the sweet spot.

I’m probably lending to your confirmation bias but sometimes that isn’t a bad thing.
I think you are too. Haha, which isn’t a bad thing! Overall I think I know why type of ride I want and it’s a sweet spot. I’m not too concerned with the low mileage, I am notorious for switching toys way too early as well. I just wanted to see if there was something I missed. Though the lack of LED lights is a bummer.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:29 PM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamoanium View Post
I asked about the low mileage and why. I’m pretty sure the reason was random, went from not sure why, to Ducati customers having too much money and was a short lived endeavor that scared them. Either way, they said it checked out and all recalls were done. The warranty is something that I keep considering, while over two thousand in savings is great, so is peace of mind for me with these things. But I also haven’t found any huge potential issues. There’s also the other side of me that’s wondering if they will unveil a new model this fall.
While it’s purely my gut feel, I don’t think we’ll see a new SS model this fall.

There’s a lot of attention on getting the V4 power plant all smoothed out and the likely introduction of a V4 Streetfighter model. Plus, the EU sales of the SS have been modest. If Ducati weren’t on a trajectory of re-inventing themselves a bit with the V4, then maybe they’d try to spice up the SS to stimulate sales.

However, I think this next year they are going to trim back production to match historical demands and focus attention on the V4 series.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Interesting, that's a good angle on it. Small update, th 2017 is most likely sold!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:47 PM
Knee Dragger

No difference between the ‘17 and ‘19 save for colors.

Welcome!!!!

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page