Hi there ... and luggage - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mvaug10087
  • 1 Post By mvaug10087

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Hi there ... and luggage

Been lurking fo a while but this is my first post. Anyone had any problems with panniers falling off?? My rhs one did on Saturday on a busy 4 lane road. I didn’t notice until I got home. I went to look for it and found the side of the road. It had crossed both lanes somehow and was a bit scratched but intact. Obviously this could have been a lot worse if it had hit a following vehicle. I was probably doing 45-50mph when it happened. Not sure how to pursue this with Ducati...
Ed K likes this.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:00 AM
Elbow Dragger

I've not had that issue but I only install them when I need them. I have seen a couple of posts here mentioning the difficulty involved with installing and removing them.

There was also one photo here of the bags installed on the wrong sides of the bike, I would imagine in the circumstance the bags probably would not mount firmly.

Those are the only two possibilities that I can pass on.

Also, did you lock the bags when you installed them?

John L
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:55 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaug10087 View Post
Not sure how to pursue this with Ducati...
Provided you properly secured it to the frame, I recommend you pursue it assertively.

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 01:26 PM
Elbow Dragger

I had one knocked off by a friend. We were on tour and when we stopped to discuss the route he pulled alongside to talk, forgetting that we both had panniers on our bikes. The LH one on his Triumph clouted the RH pannier on my SS knocking it off the mount. It was completely undamaged but I was surprised by how easily it was detached.
I have always noticed that the LH pannier is quite difficult to fit to the frame, requiring a very firm push to get it on whereas the RH one slips on easily. I'd been thinking that I should use a small jack or something to expand the RH frame by a mm or so for a tighter fit, mvaug10087's incident confirms that I should.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:53 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I had one knocked off by a friend. We were on tour and when we stopped to discuss the route he pulled alongside to talk, forgetting that we both had panniers on our bikes. The LH one on his Triumph clouted the RH pannier on my SS knocking it off the mount. It was completely undamaged but I was surprised by how easily it was detached.
I have always noticed that the LH pannier is quite difficult to fit to the frame, requiring a very firm push to get it on whereas the RH one slips on easily. I'd been thinking that I should use a small jack or something to expand the RH frame by a mm or so for a tighter fit, mvaug10087's incident confirms that I should.
yeah, now I'm concerned as well. I don't want to bend the frame any because it can weaken the metal and cause more bending. I might just tie it with a rope or a rubber bungee strap or something as a secondary measure.

A friend has the yellow Wolfman drybag panniers that he's willing to sell me cheap. Maybe I'll just buy those and strap them onto the OEM rack.

Last edited by 1uglybastard; 09-16-2019 at 02:56 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 07:04 PM
Elbow Dragger

I've got about 2k miles traveling with the bags packed with clothes, shoes, sundries, DSLR + lenses, and heavy tools (1/2 in ratchet and wheel socket, hook wrench, other tools).

I will admit that it doesn't look like a terribly strong mount.

John L
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaug10087 View Post
Been lurking fo a while but this is my first post. Anyone had any problems with panniers falling off?? My rhs one did on Saturday on a busy 4 lane road. I didnít notice until I got home. I went to look for it and found the side of the road. It had crossed both lanes somehow and was a bit scratched but intact. Obviously this could have been a lot worse if it had hit a following vehicle. I was probably doing 45-50mph when it happened. Not sure how to pursue this with Ducati...
The latch and locking mechanism is not the strongest...a few members have broken the latch only when taking them on and off.

Did you go over any big bumps when it fell off? Was it heavily weighted?

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Ive noticed the same, and thought it was just mine... one side is tighter than the other. But I don't recall which side it is, off hand. Although it has kinda loosened up closer to the other side now with use.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Actually since new the rhs box slipped on really easily while the left one requires a firm push, which ties up with other posts here. Don’t know whether it’s a problem with the locking mechanism or the frame dimensions. Away from home atm but will measure it when I get back. In any event I will take it up with the dealer.
NothingClever likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page