New member thinking of a supersport - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

New member thinking of a supersport

Hey guys and gals, 46m from NY and im thinking of picking up a supersport. Its between ss, t120bonnie, monster. I have always loved this bike, im looking for something fun, not to worried about crazy top end speed, something i can ride all day with out breaking my back.

I ride an R3 on the track, enjoy german sports cars.

S vs non S, pros cons, thinking 2020 unless i find a 19 left over.

Thanks for having me

AC
Rhino, djcmx49 and Oldrider like this.
post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 10:04 AM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajcjr View Post
Hey guys and gals, 46m from NY and im thinking of picking up a supersport. Its between ss, t120bonnie, monster. I have always loved this bike, im looking for something fun, not to worried about crazy top end speed, something i can ride all day with out breaking my back.

I ride an R3 on the track, enjoy german sports cars.

S vs non S, pros cons, thinking 2020 unless i find a 19 left over.

Thanks for having me

AC
I too was looking at the SS and Bonnie Thruxton with the half fairing. I like a degree of wind protection so the Monster was never on my radar.

Settled on the SS because the Thruxton is carrying weight to look like something it's actually better than ..... eg faux carb covers. The SS isn't trying to look like anything that it isn't. In 17k mls I haven't regretted the decision once. But both are great bikes, and I might well have been saying the same thing on the Triumph site if I'd gone the other way.
Ajcjr likes this.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 10:38 AM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajcjr View Post
Hey guys and gals, 46m from NY and im thinking of picking up a supersport. Its between ss, t120bonnie, monster. I have always loved this bike, im looking for something fun, not to worried about crazy top end speed, something i can ride all day with out breaking my back. I ride an R3 on the track, enjoy german sports cars. S vs non S, pros cons, thinking 2020 unless i find a 19 left over. AC
If you've always loved the look of the supersports bikes but didn't like the discomfort experienced when riding them, the SS might be your bike. It's such a great bike for the street, with a sporty but not uncomfortable riding position, a great seat, a wonderful quick shifter and plenty of mid-range torque. It's one of those machines which has all the attributes in harmony (looks/engine/chassis/brakes) rather than focusing on just one element. I owned a Monster 1200 before, but didn't like the lack of wind protection.

For me the S versus non-S model decision was easy - the Ohlins suspension and quick shifter were worth every penny (I had owned a 748R with Ohlins and an MV F3 with a quick shifter previously) - the seat cowl was just an added bonus. What I would suggest is to buy a past model year bike, as there have been no mechanical changes since the 2017 model introduction (mine was a low-mileage 2017 bought this past Spring). OBTW, my car is a 2017 VW GTI, so I understand the attraction of German machines as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BeaverRun photo.PNG
Views:	21
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	39398   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-27 15.22.39.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	39400   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-05-15 12.37.57.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	39402   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-26 15.53.21.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	39404  
Ajcjr likes this.

Last edited by rz33v4; 11-24-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 12:04 PM
Elbow Dragger

I think the standard model is the way to go. I couldn't justify the cost and maintenance of the Ohlins nor the reliability issue with DQS (but I personally enjoy shifting and throttle matching).

The negative with these bikes are buzzy mirrors and abrupt grabby clutch when the engine is cold.

So far as handling and control, it's in another category. It's light, torque-y, turns on a dime. Also can get factory bag package. The most comfy bike I own and have done several 400 miles days on it for the 8 months and 9k miles that I've owned it.

The only modification is to go with smaller countershaft sprocket (14T) (-1).

I don't see a direct comparison to the other two bikes for reason Keith mentioned.

There are lots of leftover bikes out there for good prices. A fellow rider in Vermont mentioned a great deal in the area, so you might check around. I'd recommend that if you purchase one, have the dealer install the 14T sprocket and set the suspension sag when you sit on the bike before you leave with it (especially the later if you get the S model).
Ajcjr likes this.

John L

Last edited by LowRyter; 11-24-2019 at 12:28 PM.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 01:25 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
I think the standard model is the way to go. I couldn't justify the cost and maintenance of the Ohlins nor the reliability issue with DQS (but I personally enjoy shifting and throttle matching).
Cost is always an issue for buyers, but the ability of the Ohlins suspension to both soak up poor road conditions and yet be fully adjustable for track duty makes them worth the money to me. On the quick shifter, I only use the clutch for first gear take-offs, then leave the clutch alone on upshifts. I'm still experimenting with it on downshifts. It's one of those things that once you have it, you'll not want to go back.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 01:31 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
Wow. You just take every possible opportunity to trash Ohlins don't you?

I've had my S bike with Ohlins since June of 2017 and have had $0 maintenance costs associated with the suspension so far. I only had one issue with the quick shifter, and it wasn't actually quickshifter issue, it was the gear select return spring that needed to be replaced, which is the same part number on any of the bikes.

The reality is that the Ohlins bikes are $1500 more than the stock bikes. However, buying the Ohlins suspension and retrofitting it is actually more expensive on a component cost basis. IIRC, the forks were $2200 and the shock was $1250. So - the S bike saved you over 50% of the cost of the upgrade, and got you a bonus free up/down quick shifter.

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 SuperSport S

It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 01:59 PM
Elbow Dragger

Garage
Welcome to the forum, I have the non ďSĒ, I think itís a great bike. Iíve not ridden the S model so donít know if I would prefer it for my riding.
Get a test ride on both if you can then decide for yourself.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 03:40 PM
Knee Dragger

Hello and welcome!!!!

Tons of info on the forum already going over every question you have so feel free to search around a bit and see what others have said. Personally, I think the S is absolutely the way to go but it’s up to you to decide where your money is best spent.

There is nothing out there quite like this bike. Ride one, you’ll either love it and want it or you won’t and there are a ton of other great options out there. I rode mine just to discount it as an option and immediately realized this was the bike I’ve been wanting for years. Just finished up my first full year of ownership and I still day dream about riding it more than any other bike I’ve owned in 40+ years of riding motorcycles and owning over 35 different bikes.

That should say something.
Alley Oop, djcmx49 and Ajcjr like this.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 03:47 PM
Chicken Strips

Missed the S vs non S. I have the S. Went to a dealer that had both to test. Tried the S first and didn't even bother taking the base model out. I'd never ridden with QS before, but loved it. And those Ohlins work great, and look SO sexy.

I keep my bikes for life. Pretty sure I'd have regretted not getting the S long after I'd stopped missing the dollars I saved.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 04:54 PM
Training Wheels

For me the Ohlins suspension on the S is a must! It happened a couple of times for me when in a bend I notice some rough surface but the suspension just eats them up, it's a great feeling that I can rely on the bike so much!

The quick shifter is also great, although it's my first. I use it mainly to downshift and engine break, although it might be bad for the engine, I really like using it like that and the sound the Akra slip ons make. It's super fun to up shift too!
Ajcjr likes this.

Ducati SSS 2017 - Loving it!
Harley Davidson Forty Eight 1200 2018 - Loved the looks, hated everything else. Traded in for the SSS
Ducati Monster S4R 2005 - My love and pride. Unfortunately sold for HD
Suzuki Bandit 650 2007 - Great "starter" bike sold

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page