SSS as fast as V4 - Page 2 - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 05:30 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post
I suspect most people on this forum will acknowledge it is much more than a beginner's bike
Beginner's bike? At 110 HP, 465 lbs and $13-15k pricing? I think not. What you are hearing is "ego talk", those who think anything less than a 200 HP superbike is for wimps. Most of those who belittle bikes like the SS can't ride their superbikes anywhere near their potential, and that's much more common in superbikes than supercars.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 05:53 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rz33v4 View Post
Beginner's bike? At 110 HP, 465 lbs and $13-15k pricing? I think not. What you are hearing is "ego talk", those who think anything less than a 200 HP superbike is for wimps. Most of those who belittle bikes like the SS can't ride their superbikes anywhere near their potential, and that's much more common in superbikes than supercars.
There is an argument for a single purchase, such as the Supersport, that lets a rider grow in their abilities.

Let's face it, who wants to buy a 250, then a 600, before graduating to the 'big' bike you always wanted. Back in the seventies, you could learn on a K series 750 Honda, a Z1. No restrictions.

Then they decided to place restrictions and the 250 two-strokes were born. RZ, RG, KR... I digress.

But you're right about people buying superbikes, that they are totally unable to get the most (or even a small part of it) out of. It cracks me up to see a superbike with the centre tread worn flat and chicken strips so wide you wonder if the bike was only used in a straight line. You see it with high-end cars as well. I can tell you stories about following Porsches in a pushrod engined V8 ute and seeing the back of the Porsche step out because the driver thought to have a Porsche made them a Senna but they had no idea how to drive.

When anyone starts banging on (and on) about maximum HP and top speed I leave them to it. When people talk about torque, damping, clearance and the like I'll listen. Much the same as most who frequent this forum.
mijube and DanSS939 like this.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 05:55 PM
Training Wheels

A beginners bike? I don't think so, unless all you read is magazine road tests and stats. Its an easy bike to ride quickly because it is so well thought out, and it is flattering to the averagely talented rider, but a real tool for a talented rider on public roads. As has been said before on this forum, if it had an extra 40hp the perception would change to it being an advanced riders bike, but in reality all it would mean is that it went faster on the stright bits! I think the ss is the most underated machine Ducati makes and am sad that they don't develop it a bit more. Funny how things have changed, a beginners bike in my world was an air cooled RD250 with a nice flexi frame!
djcmx49 and DanSS939 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 06:32 PM
Elbow Dragger

This bike is so easy to ride, I can imagine a well heeled beginner would like it. Just be good enough rider not to drop it. For most folks Id recommend an SV650 but if you have the cash, why not?

John L

Ducs quack at midnight and 9am
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 06:48 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbus330 View Post
Funny how things have changed, a beginners bike in my world was an air cooled RD250 with a nice flexi frame!
Beginners bikes in my day were Honda Sport 50s, Super 90s and Yamaha Twin-Jet 100s!
Miweber929 and DanSS939 like this.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Beginner bike for me was a lawnmower engine (a story in itself--direct drive between a cut off end of a baseball bat, jammed on output shaft and tire) that I mounted on a bicycle when I was about 12 years old. Long before having even a scrap of cash for a used dirt bike and even longer for a license!

Working on lawn mower engines in my pre-teen years was good fun for me and my buddies. I engineered a RAM Air scoop on mine, that was the talk of the Hood.

Haha... Well, at least until the LEOs caught me and my buddies riding the lawnmower engined motorbikes through the neighborhood (never found out who turned us in!)... I almost got away! But made a silly mistake...and got caught. Another story...

When the policeman brought me to me Dad, he listened carefully to the policeman, unloaded my bike from the trunk of the cop car, then my Dad never said another word to me again. And we all know what happened...the rest is history, as they say.
djcmx49, Miweber929 and DanSS939 like this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
Beginner bike for me was a lawnmower engine (a story in itself--direct drive between a cut off end of a baseball bat, jammed on output shaft and tire) that I mounted on a bicycle when I was about 12 years old. Long before having even a scrap of cash for a used dirt bike and even longer for a license!

Working on lawn mower engines in my pre-teen years was good fun for me and my buddies. I engineered a RAM Air scoop on mine, that was the talk of the Hood.

Haha... Well, at least until the LEOs caught me and my buddies riding the lawnmower engined motorbikes through the neighborhood (never found out who turned us in!)... I almost got away! But made a silly mistake...and got caught. Another story...

When the policeman brought me to me Dad, he listened carefully to the policeman, unloaded my bike from the trunk of the cop car, then my Dad never said another word to me again. And we all know what happened...the rest is history, as they say.
My dad bought me a Kawasaki 90 dirt bike when I was 9 years old, but seldom took me out to ride so I started riding in my back yard, and when that got small I started riding on the streets of my neighborhood. I was hooked. My mom never forgave him for buying it for me
Ed K, djcmx49, Miweber929 and 1 others like this.

Ducati Dream

Last edited by DanSS939; 02-06-2020 at 09:27 PM.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:05 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz33v4 View Post
Beginners bikes in my day were Honda Sport 50s, Super 90s and Yamaha Twin-Jet 100s!
My dad was trying to find a Sport 50 a few months ago because that was his first “real” street bike and ended up with a Super 90 instead. Those were great bikes, true beginner machines that bring nothing but smiles when you ride them.

My first was a Z50, first clutch bike was an XL80S, and first street bike was/is my ‘75 CL360, also another good beginner bike.
Ed K and DanSS939 like this.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 01:29 AM
Elbow Dragger

CL-90 when I was 13. Took my life savings and some Christmas gifts to raise the $300.

John L

Ducs quack at midnight and 9am
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 01:18 PM
Training Wheels

Garage
Yamaha Trail 80 when I was 11. Rode it all over the farm and dirt roads.

Mark Craige
Tulsa OK
'17 SuperSport S, Akra Slip-ons, touring w/s, hard bags, etc.
'12 Multistrada 1200S Touring, full Termi., (sold)
'10 848 Hayden SE, full Termi. (sold)
‘04 ST4s, full Termi., PCIII (sold)
'04 BMW R1100SA BCR, Staintune, Ohlins

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page