Rider's Choice: Motorcycle.com Sport-Touring Ride to Laguna Seca - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 8Likes
  • 4 Post By Mr. Bill
  • 1 Post By Snowboard Duke
  • 1 Post By Mr. Bill
  • 1 Post By Ed K
  • 1 Post By Alley Oop

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Bill Send a message via MSN to Mr. Bill Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Bill
Arrow Rider's Choice: Motorcycle.com Sport-Touring Ride to Laguna Seca

I figured this YouTube review is relevant since the SSS is one of the test bikes. Enjoy.

Ed K, psyopper, Miweber929 and 1 others like this.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 10:08 PM
Training Wheels

Look at the comments. many getting annoyed because the Agusta is the only Sport Touring bike of the lot. The others are nakeds or a semi naked with the SS
Miweber929 likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Bill Send a message via MSN to Mr. Bill Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Bill
Yeah, I noticed that. I'm not sure that I would have called that a sport touring video, but rather a "Pick What Bike You Want to Ride for a Track Day at Laguna" video. I found the emphasis on power output to be a little disheartening. Saying that the SSS might be a good bike to buy if you are not doing any track days, or no more than one track day a year seems like a silly statement. In the automotive world, the Mazda Miata is considered one of the most popular track day cars built. If you are a very proficient rider, then the extra power would be relevant, but for about 95% of the riders out there, I don't know that it would be necessary or even advised. My daughter's BF wants to get his first bike, and he wants a 600 supersport so that he doesn't have to buy another bike when he outgrows a beginner bike. He is already talking about R1's and similar liter bikes that his friends have, yet he can't even ride any of my dirt bikes with any degree of proficiency yet. Many other articles on the SS or SSS have lauded the bike for its usable power. I found this video to be taking a step backward in that regard.
Alley Oop likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:29 PM
Training Wheels

I think John Burns had an agenda to put his son off the SS. If you read their comments you'd think the father/son relationship was reversed.

Eg he dings the SS because you have to remove the mufflers to change the tire. But doesn't balance that against the much easier chain adjustment and certainty of keeping the wheels inline. No worries, if everyone liked the SS as much as I do they'd loose their exclusivity.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 02:35 PM
Elbow Dragger

Actually, removing the rear wheel is a piece of cake if you have an impact socket. It's a couple of minutes to take the bottom muffler off, make sure you use a little anti seize. Much easier than pulling the axle and adjusting the chain for a conventional swingarm IMO. So Burns explained diddly.

The commentary indicated that no one was able to ride all of the bikes on the track. No way do I consider the Tuono and SS in the same class as the SS, for that matter the other two aren't either. Even after playing the cost card they didn't account for hard bags. The SS was probably the jack of all & master of none bike. Same reason we like it is why it was nonplussed.

John L
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Knee Dragger

I wish I was surprised that a motojournalist wasn't as enamored with a bike as I am.

It seems like that is the rule for my fav's: they always picked the R1 over the 929/954/1000RR, the Ninja 650 over the 650F, the R6 over the 600RR, no one ever really got the VFR series except Mitch Boehm, I loved my CR250 and they always picked the RM, KX or YZ over it, KTMs over the WR450.........

Whatever. they are missing out on a great bike and just didn't get it. Not my worry

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Love Laguna! Love California! Nice vid of the track and PCH!

I thought the comments about the SS were generally fair when considering most of their emphasis was on the track. It really wasn't a Sport Touring vid! And compared with an S1000R or Tuono on the track, the SS doesn't have the top end power to effectively compete.

There were some comments about how well the SS did as a road bike, and that's really where the SS shines, imo. But again that wasn't the main emphasis of this vid. And that's ok with me...I got it for its versatility as a road bike. They also priced it too high adding in carbon bits, that wasn't really "fair"... although its still not cheap without that!
Miweber929 likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:41 PM
Chicken Strips

I'll watch the video at some point.

But the general consensus points to misguided--or maybe just differing--criteria.

People who gravitate to the SuperSport appreciate its all-rounder quality.

And by the way Nicky Hayden would have lapped any of those guys ten times on the Supersport no matter what they're riding. Anybody ever see him riding the Supermotard on the track? And I recall that the world champion Ducati in the mid-90s had the same HP.

I guarantee that most of the reviewers slagging the Supersport on the track can't access more than 70% of its track capabilities. So what's another 50 hp gonna get you? The ability to access no more than 40%?
Ed K likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 04:39 PM
Chicken Strips

Typo: I meant Hypermotard.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page