SS v. HD v. Hayabusa Comparo - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

SS v. HD v. Hayabusa Comparo

How's this for a comparo?

Every day at work I park my baby next to a guy with a 2013 Hayabusa. We've become friends just talking about bikes. Then yesterday, your classic Harley rider showed up. First ride of the season for him and it's June 29th. I'm sure he'll visit at least three different bars on three separate weekends this summer and that will be the extent of his riding for the year. As an aside, did I ever mention how embarrassed I am of HD even though I'm American? Ugggh, we can definitely do better.

So around lunch time I found myself in the parking area and Mr. Harley owner was there with some friends of his. He decided it would be a good time to start his HD to show everyone how loud it was. He fired it up and I thought my eyeballs might start to bleed. It was cranium-shaking. I'm relatively sure he has no baffles in his pipes. When he turned it off, I made a comment about it being obnoxiously loud and he just spouted the Harley mantra, "Loud pipes save lives." I think HD makes its buyers say that phrase 20 times before they take possession of their overpriced marvel of 1990s technology.

While Mr. Harley was rehearsing his mantra, Mr. Hayabusa walked out and proceeded to start up his bike and rev the engine. After the racket produced by the HD, the Hayabusa was slightly pitiful. Very smooth, but very quiet. When he revved it, it sounded like a slightly menacing whine. Not "I'm going to soil my pants" menacing, but it wasn't a small child whining for an ice cream either.

The HD owner seemed confused about how a bike could be so quiet. Knowing he knew very little about bikes, I pointed out that the 'Busa was a 4 cylinder and would therefore be very smooth and quiet. He asked if the SS was so quiet. I chuckled, and said, "Oh no, not at all." One of his friends was slightly more knowledgeable about bikes and while elbowing his buddies, said, "Listen to this. This is a Ducati." I just grinned and started the SS. It sprang to life and rumbled with a purpose. Then I revved it and I'm pretty sure it said in Italian, "This contest is over." When I turned off the SS, the Harley rider said, "Wow, that's a man's bike." Priceless.

On to the ride:

Shortly after the exhaust expo, the Hayabusa rider offered me his keys and insisted I take his bike for a spin. Mostly out of courtesy, I did. Keep in mind I haven't ever ridden a Hayabusa and haven't ridden a Japanese bike of any kind since 1996. The experience was...illuminating. In short, the bike has a hard seat, a bit of throttle lag, it's heavy, very smooth with plush suspension and comfortable at dangerously fast speeds. Although I only took it up to 110 mph, I can definitely see going 140 mph and not being the least bit fazed. Lastly, the riding position is aggressively forward and my knees were nearly up to my armpits. I felt cramped within ten minutes of starting.

After I parked the Hayabusa, I immediately rode away on the SS. As soon as I started, I literally began laughing inside my helmet. The position seemed extremely high, almost Hypermotard-like in comparison to the Hayabusa. The back-to-back rides highlighted just how different the SS riding position is compared to a standard sportbike riding position (assuming the Hayabusa riding position mimics a standard sportbike riding position. I don't know if it does.) Other observations: 1. Exhaust sound on the SS is just more...interesting 2. Less throttle lag 3. Much comfier seat 4. Much lighter/more flickable (not surprising considering the weight difference, but still noteworthy) 5. The SS definitely vibrates more than the 'Busa, but it is a pleasant vibration (I hadn't ever noticed the vibes until I rode it back to back with the 4 cylinder). I guess all these characteristics add up to the famous "character" of a Ducati.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the above stories as I found them pretty entertaining/instructive. Sometimes when you ride the same bike every day you forget the positives and negatives the bike has and it helps to compare it to a different bike.

1992 BMW R100GS
2004 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS
2005 Ducati 749
2017 Ducati Supersport Classic
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 03:35 AM
Knee Dragger

Thumbs up

.......omg, too funny!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 04:20 AM
SuperSport Master

Lol good take on the Harley rider 😂😂 the Harley rider around here are just the same, they think a Harley jacket facemask and belt buckle = I'm as hard as nails lol 😂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 07:43 AM
Chicken Strips

Harley Davidson. The most efficient way to convert the energy in petrol to noise without the byproduct of power.
He must have a modern one if it is 1990s tech, most of them are 1940s tech.
GTScott likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 04:02 PM
Chicken Strips

Garage
One of the Harley riders where I work was getting off his pile of chrome when I pulled into the parking lot on the Supersport. He ambled over, eyeballing the Duc, completely clueless as to what he was looking at. Finally he says, "Ducati? That's a Yamaha, right?" I told him "No, it's made by KTM". Confused, he asked, "Is that American." "As apple pie", I told him. He was quite pleased and said "That's a great looking bike, bro". I think I lost an easy 10 IQ points in our 60 second conversation.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 04:17 PM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura17SS View Post
One of the Harley riders where I work was getting off his pile of chrome when I pulled into the parking lot on the Supersport. He ambled over, eyeballing the Duc, completely clueless as to what he was looking at. Finally he says, "Ducati? That's a Yamaha, right?" I told him "No, it's made by KTM". Confused, he asked, "Is that American." "As apple pie", I told him. He was quite pleased and said "That's a great looking bike, bro". I think I lost an easy 10 IQ points in our 60 second conversation.
Only 10
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 04:31 PM
Knee Dragger

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura17SS View Post

Oh those Harley riders, aren't they just precious??!???!!! Just like a freshly layer dog turd on a scalding 100* day in July!
Ventura17SS likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Chicken Strips

I understand that most of a Harley is not made in the US these days but just assembled there. If I am wrong then could one of the American members enlighten me please.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 07:37 PM
Chicken Strips

Garage
Harley is way more about the lifestyle than the bike, that's for sure. My father has been a lifelong harley guy, even has a harley wing tatoo on his arm from way back. Traded it in for a BMW 1200rt recently and is in heaven
Fredinfrance and Rhino like this.

18 Panigale V4
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

🤦*♂️

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page