Ducati SuperSport Forum banner

Mirror Recall

41K views 192 replies 56 participants last post by  makemann 
#1 ·
I have the SS in for a few things including the recall for the airbox and fuel drain hoses but was made aware of another -

C/R PERFORM CAMPAIGN CHECK FUEL TANK INSTALLATION WARRANTY

FYI
Pjk

#9 ·
Same here . Had the last recall looked after back in August. I just checked the Ducati recall site. So far no recall noted for my VIN number. I also never received an official recall letter from Ducati last August either. When I went to the dealer for my first service , they are the ones that confirmed the recall. I'm not too impressed with Ducatis lack of communication. Without our web site , I would have no clue that there are recalls out there.

#22 ·
Yeah I think I'll be changing mine as soon as the parts are available. I'm guessing it's the blackbox plus an IMU. ABS actuator will probably stay the same, but the ABS ECU will change. Anyway we'll have to wait and see. No idea where they'll find the space though.

#20 ·
Excellent research gentleman, no need to call dealer till Jan, 2019 in my estimation. I'll call them then and book it for spring...New Mirrors here we come...:wink2:

BTW I did look at Ducati site for recall notice's and still shows no open recalls for my bike. My guess is it won't until they officially start the recall in Jan...

#25 ·
Can a mod please re-name this thread to something more meaningful? Or I'm going to start a new one to do it instead.

The recall campaign is now directed in the USA as well. https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=18V793

The recall documentation indicates that this is to resolve loose mirror faces in the housing and will not at all address the lever-arm shaking.

Screenshots of the pertinent points are attached. Go to the link to download the full PDF's for all information.

Attachments

#26 ·
Agreed, the thread needs to be renamed to something like "Mirror Recall".

Several months ago I did a big letter to Ducati detailing the incidences where the poor rear vision created danger for me as a rider, and listing how they were likely to be liable if a person is for example unable to merge safely and consequently has an accident now that Ducati know about the problem....

Can a mod please re-name this thread to something more meaningful? Or I'm going to start a new one to do it instead.

The recall campaign is now directed in the USA as well. https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=18V793

The recall documentation indicates that this is to resolve loose mirror faces in the housing and will not at all address the lever-arm shaking.

Screenshots of the pertinent points are attached. Go to the link to download the full PDF's for all information.

#33 ·
I have a little info about the recall:

I left Ducati US a voicemail yesterday because my VIN didnt come up on the search and I was curious as to why. Got a call back this afternoon from a great guy at the US office who said that the recall was so new, only issued yesterday, that no VINs have been assigned to it yet. He said be looking for a notice in the mail around February and they won’t have numbers assigned until at least January so it’s still too early to go looking for anything.

He also went over what we already know: the mirrors will look and “function” exactly as the the regular mirror stalk except for the extra support behind the mirror glass. He said they may have changed the pivot mount but it’s not noted anywhere.

In the end he said be patient, they’ll contact me (us) when everything is set because a recall apparently is a pretty involved process.

He also told me two other things:

1. Ducati no longer does the “welcome packet” my dealer said I would get as of January 1, 2018. He said that was an Italy decision. Can anyone tell me what was in it? I forgot to ask.

2. The 2019 is the same as the 17/18 except for paint. I guess that means no cornering ABS.

Hope this helps!!!

#35 ·
@Peter Krynicki

Thank you Peter. Re-reading the thread, it appears your original question for more info on the opening post about “C/R PERFORM CAMPAIGN CHECK FUEL TANK INSTALLATION WARRANTY” may have been overshadowed by lots of discussion the mirror issue.

I’ll PM to touch base a bit further...

#47 ·
My understanding is that in the US they won't be available for at least 3 weeks.

Although it won't address the source of the primary vibration (stalk), hopefully the change will address the secondary vibration (loose mirrors) similar to other solutions here on the Forum (e.g. inserting rubber, pushing mirror to edge of casing, etc). So my expectation is some improvement (but not crystal clarity), and that would be welcomed, imo.

Bravo to Ducati making an effort to address this issue.

#44 ·
I do not feel the need to have my mirrors replaced at all.

They work fine for me: I see if there is something behind me, can tell whether it’s a car, a truck or a bike, and, more importantly, if it is closing in or not. True, I can’t see what brand of car, truck or bike it is, nor can I read the licence plate. But I don’t need to, personally.

That being said, I have never owned anything but Ducatis, so I may be used to this blurry mirror view. May be other brands offer perfectly clear mirrors, I wouldn’t know. What I know is I can’t stand a bike that doesn’t vibrate a bunch, where I can’t feel how many rpm I’m at. I tested a Fazer 900 once. It felt like I was riding a dead fish, compared to my 900SS...

As someone else mentioned above, my elbows are more of a problem than the mirrors themselves. Always need to lift them before looking...

Just my 0.02

G

#45 ·
My previous bike was a parallel twin engine (Ninja 650) and it also had a reasonable amount of engine vibration throughout. The mirrors on that bike did vibrate and I learned to adapt. But I was always able to tell if there was a vehicle behind. If it was approaching etc. On the SS, it's really bad. For example at highway speeds the image in the mirrors look like they are bouncing 50 feet up and down. I seriously can't tell if I'm looking at a plane or car. So I definitely welcome this recall. I am prepared to accept a reasonable amount of vibration. And don't expect to see out as clearly as one would in a car. But to me there is no excuse for not designing a proper mirror for a premium bike. Especially when when bikes that cost half as much as ours can make the mirrors work. This is one time I'm glad we have strict standards in Canada. Let's hope this recall does improve the quality of the mirrors so that at least they are usefull.

#46 ·
For those new to the mirror vibration discussion, there are two vibration modes for the mirrors.

1. Engine vibration magnified along a very long lever arm consisting of the frame, sub-frame and long mirror arms, especially noticeable under heavy loads between 2800 - 4000 RPM

2. Some mirror faces have come loose inside the housing allowing them to vibrate loosely at seemingly 4x the engine speed, even at idle.

The recall will fix #2 with a support brace behind the mirror face. Gear selection and your right wrist resolve #1, as with most Ducatis. I laugh hysterically at #1 and was otherwise OK with it, understanding physics and all. It wasn't until I had a mirror face pop loose that I truly came to know why people complained about mirror vibration. Imagine your mirror arm shaking so violently that the only thing you can positively identify is your elbow, and now, on top of that, your elbow is vibrating faster than the Hitachi massager my ex used to keep in her nightstand.

#48 ·
My mirrors are not loose. I even tried out the solution that a member on here suggested by rotating the mirror face. I think this recall is intended to help out with both items one and two noted above. If it was for just item 2, the recall would be noted as resolving the issue of mirrors breaking loose. I thought I read it was to help out with vibrations on the mirror face. I could be wrong,I'm going to read the recall wording again.

Recall #:*2018623
Models Involved:*2017-2018 Ducati Supersport, Supersport S*
Number of Vehicles:*1,676
Problem:*On certain motorcycles, the image in the rearview mirrors could become distorted by vibrations produced by the engine. This could reduce the rider’s rear visibility.
Correction:*Dealers will remove and replace the existing mirrors with new mirrors.

#51 ·
I have a letter from Ducati GB. At this time the recall is not applicable in the UK. However since I've moaned regularly about the mirrors since the day I took delivery of the bike, they have ordered a pair of the NEW part numbers and will contact my dealer to get them fitted under warranty.

The regulations regarding motorcycle mirrors are the same for the US and the EU (and the UK regs) , the wording is identical.

The inference in the letter is that it is to fix the vibration. We'll have to see.....

I have written to the UK vehicle standards agency with the details of the US recall and raised an issue with them. For all the good that might do!

#64 ·
Don’t forget about WD-40 and chains. That’s always good for a virtual rugby scrum.

Perhaps the countershaft sprocket size could be re-examined (although the last go ‘round of that resulted in self-immolation by one member :laugh: ).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.