Ducati SuperSport Forum banner

No service between 15000km and 30000km ?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Dino de Laurentiis 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

my bike display 23000km, last service was 15000km in november 2018.
I plan a big trip in september and i am worrying about my engine oil, isn't it a bit old to make a long trip ?
It will be 9 months and maybe 9000km old for the trip.
Should i change the oil ? filters as well ?

thanks for your imputs.

#4 ·
I think it's a good idea to change the oil every 5000-7500km or every 12 months whichever comes first.
I am actually shocked that Ducati thinks 15000km OCI is acceptable. That seems extreme even for cars with no wet clutch and turning at lower rpm.

#6 ·
It does seem high, I agree, but possibly it’s just because material technology has moved on and we’re not used to get that kind of mileage out of the engine oil. After all, the SS is low stressed engine comparatively these days. I just changed the oil at 7500 km, because I needed to fill up and had some other issues so wanted to see if changing the oil helped. However, the old oil look really good, still light brown rather than black and very little metal shavings. I wouldn’t hesitate running 10 000 km between oil changes. Maybe less if you do a lot of track days.

In any case most people probably does less than 15 000 km or so per year so they hit the “change every 12 months” interval first anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.