Any Tec Divers Here? - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
SuperSport Master

Any Tec Divers Here?

Any tec divers here?

At 40 meters I feel like Iím just getting started versus having reached a maximum depth.
amoslws likes this.

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:33 AM
SuperSport Master

Two tanks??
I only have open water PADI. Can't contribute unfortunately.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
SuperSport Master

Three to four. Twins on back and one decompression tank or all four in sidemount configuration.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?

Last edited by NothingClever; 05-15-2019 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Meant decompression for the torso-rigged bottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:38 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingClever View Post
Three to four. Twins on back and one bailout tank or all four in sidemount configuration.
Wow..I need to see some pics of that.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:55 AM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingClever View Post
Three to four. Twins on back and one decompression tank or all four in sidemount configuration.
****, thats hardcore. Like Amos, i never got very far, only Advanced Open Water and some add on courses and that’s now close to two decades ago. On the other hand, this was in Scandinavia, where wet suiting in +7-8 deg C water is not uncommon and visibility above 7-8 meters (20-25 ft) is considered excellent so. Well preserved wrecks though.

Suppose you’re running trimix exclusively at the depths you’re diving to?

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2003 CCM R30 (project build)
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Open water PADI here too...but itís been a while.

Even longer ago, during my college summer days, I was a Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor... nice job.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
SuperSport Master

Hang on a sec....I didnít mean to mislead you guys.

Iím just an AOW diver, too, but I dive at least four times a week, trending towards five. Throw in lots of those are night, boat, drift, wreck and wall dives and my appetite is growing for the next dimension of diving.

The folks I dive with are all UK, BEL, FRA, DEU, USA, ESP and ITA. We have LEB and EGY divers, too. Most everybody is an instructor - PADI, BSAC and SSI. There are a few outlier dive agency instructors, too. At any rate, we good a good cross-pollination of talent and technique in the local dive community.

Everybody mostly geeks out with exotic camera rigs hunting down nudibranches and other macro subjects.

But several are also tec divers and every couple of weeks somebodyís dropping down past 40m with a sidemount rig to try to find the Lamborghinis, Ferraris and Maseratis of the sea. I accompanied a French and German diver two weekends ago down to 40m where I only get about 7 minutes of bottom time before violating my no decompression limit and then saw them off as they dropped to 60m.

Sidemount configuration is the dominant technique mainly because it relieves one of schlepping around hefty twins on the back. Sidemount started out as a cave diverís technique because it minimized the diverís dorsal profile squeezing through narrow caves but the configuration has expanded to open water rec-tec diving because of comfort and total volume.

Anyways, I just got back from a liveaboard trip where I was doing a massive coral wall dive and a Napoleon Wrasse and Hawksbill turtle left me at 40 meters dropping down into the inky blue depths and I was frustrated I couldnít just keep going knowing that my normal 3 min safety stop would simply progress into one or more 7-9 minutes decompression stops to off-gas the nitrogen.

Donít have many pics of me diving but hereís a shot I took last weekend. New lights already arrived and Iíve got a depth-appropriate filter coming from www.backscatter.com so the color should improve in the near future.

https://gopro.com/v/G1p7G7QeZk0WW
Ed K, amoslws, djcmx49 and 1 others like this.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
SuperSport Master

Another of a French brother shooting some eel footage and then two old Italian guys arguing under water over the best way to shoot a big, fat rockfish.

Still cracks me up...Max even starts to take his reg out of mouth like he’s going to yell at Vittorio. You can take the boys out of Italy but you can’t take Italy out of the boys.

Anyways....back to the SuperSport and the 899 Panigale I’m going to transform into a dedicated track bike.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

@NothingClever dive 4-5x per week! I guess conveniently located!
NothingClever likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
@NothingClever dive 4-5x per week! I guess conveniently located!
Yeah, sorta lucked out this time around.

Today I spent some quality time filming a juvenile octopus and then chased a turtle for awhile.

No sharks today. Hopefully next week when I spend a few days on a liveaboard.
Ed K likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page