Increasing Safety of Motorcyclists??? - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Increasing Safety of Motorcyclists???

Hmm, will it keep us safer, or just provide another annoying distraction???

And, although I would never say never, but first gen prolly wonít work very well.

Besides, do I want my riding history sent to The Cloud and ultimately accessible to others??? I donít think so, thank you very much!

https://www.cycleworld.com/increasin...sts-in-traffic
Miweber929 and Paddlefoot64 like this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:29 AM
Knee Dragger

Thanks for link, very interesting.

I have the frontal crash avoidance thing in my Malibu that flashes a light and hits the brakes if it thinks I’m going to hit something. In 3 years of ownership, 49,000 miles of driving I’ve only had it legitimately go off once when I looked down coming to a stop and didn’t see that the car in front of me stopped extremely short all of a sudden. That time it saved me from a good possibility of a bumper smack or a bit worse.

The other 38 times the **** thing has gone off, beeped like **** and flashed the stupid lights at me have been for no reason, a leaf, someone next to me farting, a cloud, I don’t know what else, but rarely does it actually react to something I wasn’t either currently dealing with, aware of or about to react to. That one time was the only time the car braked for me, however, or the car would be gone because here in the US you can’t deactivate like you can the lane departure crap like you can elsewhere.

That’s the reason I fear things like this: if you’re completely in control going around a corner at a spirited pace and it sees something it thinks will cause you harm and suddenly flashes, beeps and alters your trajectory, then what?

I don’t have the answers, but I do have concern.
Ed K and djcmx49 like this.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:25 PM
Training Wheels

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Thanks for link, very interesting.

I have the frontal crash avoidance thing in my Malibu that flashes a light and hits the brakes if it thinks Iím going to hit something. In 3 years of ownership, 49,000 miles of driving Iíve only had it legitimately go off once when I looked down coming to a stop and didnít see that the car in front of me stopped extremely short all of a sudden. That time it saved me from a good possibility of a bumper smack or a bit worse.

The other 38 times the **** thing has gone off, beeped like **** and flashed the stupid lights at me have been for no reason, a leaf, someone next to me farting, a cloud, I donít know what else, but rarely does it actually react to something I wasnít either currently dealing with, aware of or about to react to. That one time was the only time the car braked for me, however, or the car would be gone because here in the US you canít deactivate like you can the lane departure crap like you can elsewhere.

Thatís the reason I fear things like this: if youíre completely in control going around a corner at a spirited pace and it sees something it thinks will cause you harm and suddenly flashes, beeps and alters your trajectory, then what?

I donít have the answers, but I do have concern.
Looks like help is on the way ... Ducati front and rear radar already in the pipeline for 2020
Ed K and Miweber929 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 07:22 PM
Chicken Strips

Garage
Interesting read. A lot of tech involved and all for just a handle bar vibrate. Heck it would be useless on a HD...lol Maybe if it could apply brakes like in cars I wouldn't have hit the truck stopped ahead of me....hmmm. Ya maybe I should have just been looking ahead properly...lol

This is where riding a motorcycle in the future is headed though...
Ed K likes this.

Don C.
Sunshine and my ride is all I need...
2018 Ducati Supersport S, "Solana"
2017 Ducati Supersport S, "Annabella"
2006 Honda CBR600RR, "Red-Rocket"
1990 Honda VFR400 , "Baby V"
and a dozen more previously owned bikes
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:21 PM
Training Wheels

proximity radar on cars sets off my radar detector. I hate this stuff
Ed K likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboard Duke View Post
proximity radar on cars sets off my radar detector. I hate this stuff
Can you distinguish between proximity and law enforcement radar?

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:59 AM
Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
Can you distinguish between proximity and law enforcement radar?
So, they both use x, k, or Ka bands. If in a gaggle of vehicles there is no way to know. One thing that helps is that he proximity radar is weak enough to only cover a short distance. It does take some experience to understand when the detector is giving you a real signal. Proximity just adds another facet.

using a radar detector is the same now as it was even before proximity radar. There are situations where one can count on it and some where one should not rely on it. False positives may be a pain....but no real harm done. it is the other way around that I worry about. alone on a deserted, desert road with no cars in front of me and suddenly there is one of the local contabulary there using their "insta-on" where it isn't on all the time and they only turn it on when they see someone... :0 Yep, that one would gig me. A road with a car or two up ahead of me a ways taking that first hit and I read the spash/shine from them....that one works every time a local sheriff driving around with his on on all the time......easy read.
Ed K likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:06 AM
wig
Training Wheels

Garage
I'm in a love-hate relationship with mine on the cars. Love that it's an extra safety net - but I still look when I merge. Hate, the way they interfere with radar detectors and that they make people stupid. Like reversing cameras, for example - now that they've been around for a while, people rely on them to back up. They don't look back. I've, myself, almost hit two people because they were out of the frame. So no longer rely on the camera.

Some of these aids are great, but at the cost of people forgetting the basics. What happens when that system fails and you are still thinking it's running? Will you ever develop the skills to deal with potential issues?

My other example is cornering ABS. I thought I'd never need it - then came the overly speed exit ramp where I hit a tar snake and I was never so happy to have it (on my last bike).

Only time will tell. But one thing is for certain, the industry needs to attract more riders.
Ed K likes this.

Dozens of bikes: $$$$
Look on neighbors' faces: Priceless
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:23 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboard Duke View Post
So, they both use x, k, or Ka bands. If in a gaggle of vehicles there is no way to know. One thing that helps is that he proximity radar is weak enough to only cover a short distance. It does take some experience to understand when the detector is giving you a real signal. Proximity just adds another facet.

using a radar detector is the same now as it was even before proximity radar. There are situations where one can count on it and some where one should not rely on it. False positives may be a pain....but no real harm done. it is the other way around that I worry about. alone on a deserted, desert road with no cars in front of me and suddenly there is one of the local contabulary there using their "insta-on" where it isn't on all the time and they only turn it on when they see someone... :0 Yep, that one would gig me. A road with a car or two up ahead of me a ways taking that first hit and I read the spash/shine from them....that one works every time a local sheriff driving around with his on on all the time......easy read.
I limited the K band out, and most disappeared. That dad-gummed LIDAR that cars use for active speed control is confounding though!
Ed K likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:19 PM
Training Wheels

Garage
I’m all for whatever aids I can get as I get older but I can’t remember a time when I had a near miss, or been hit, because I didn’t see someone, it’s really that they don’t see me, at least so far, lol.
Ed K likes this.

Last edited by brucemswan; 06-10-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page