post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Jim Bronson

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
If I saw this correctly, the bike Bronson jumped when near the seashore wasn't a Harley. They pulled a switcheroo.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz33v4 View Post
If I saw this correctly, the bike Bronson jumped when near the seashore wasn't a Harley. They pulled a switcheroo.
Correct! At the time this show ran, I was riding dirt bikes, and my buddie and I noticed the switcheroo right away too.

The character of Jim Bronson had a major influence on me at the time, as an impressionable teenager.

The “Then Came Bronson”series was banned on you tube forever, but I see it is now on you tube for the first time. There was as a pilot movie which can be purchased. Maybe because Jim Bronson (actually Michael Parks, of many other Hollywood movies), recently passed.

Theme Song... “Going down that long lonesome highway, gonna, live life my way...”

I sang that many times to myself, riding many solo miles, discovering places and meeting many people along the way.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Nice shot in the end of California Route 1, as well as the Bixby Bridge.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Many years ago, but timeless...

If you can hang in there, it has a nice ending that I think you might like.

https://dai.ly/x3jx62q
Ventura17SS likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:26 AM

Garage
I think I was 14 the year Then Came Bronson aired. Loved that show! I had a Yamaha 125 Enduro that I bombed around on the endless miles of trails on the California central coast where I grew up. I used to laugh at the scenes where Bronson would take his Sportster off road, even winning a motocross race now and then on his travels. As much as I liked the show, I never had a desire to own a Harley. But for sure that show was one reason I bought my first road bike...a brand new 1981 BMW R65.
Ed K and Oldrider like this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura17SS View Post
I think I was 14 the year Then Came Bronson aired. Loved that show! I had a Yamaha 125 Enduro that I bombed around on the endless miles of trails on the California central coast where I grew up. I used to laugh at the scenes where Bronson would take his Sportster off road, even winning a motocross race now and then on his travels. As much as I liked the show, I never had a desire to own a Harley. But for sure that show was one reason I bought my first road bike...a brand new 1981 BMW R65.
Those Yami 125 were nice!

I got a tired Kaw 175 that I purchased with money earned mowing lawns. Once I rebuilt it, it really ripped on the dirt with lower gearing...

...Well it ripped until my buddy Gary and I crashed into each other going opposite directions on a blind dirt road turn. Fortunately, neither Gary or I were seriously hurt, but a major depression quickly settled upon us as Captain America wasnít going to be riding for a while because the bikes took a beating.

Since I was a better rider, I was able to turn faster, and only got my clutch cover clipped and engine oil leaking. In his case, he hit me head on, which resulted in badly bent forks.

Fortunately, my father was an engineer in the Aerospace industry, walked into the shop, got a chunk of aircraft aluminum cut, and surprised me with it one day. I thought what are going to do with that square thing!? The cover was round. Of course it didnít matter because it could still seal by fitting flush against the engine case. We carefully measured the holes, drilled it and used it to seal the gaping clutch cover hole. The square piece of aluminum looked like crap, but it sealed and worked. I was riding again!!! Who gives a hoot what it looked like!!!

Gary, well, he had to wait what seemed like eternity for those forks to come in.

In those days, we gladly walked our bikes for miles because the police strictly enforced riding without a license (we were under legal age), not to mention the bikes were not registered, insured etc.

But once we got the woods, no one could follow or catch us! Haha! It was our world. Well, until some rich older guys joined us occasionally with the magnificent Maico that absolutely shredded. I can still hear and see it in my mind. And his friend on a Bultaco. Dream bikes we could never afford then, but admired, and thought, maybe someday...

And go home and watch Then Came Bronson...and dream about touring the Western US some day.

Some day, indeed! Dreams come true, sometimes!

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:48 AM

The one I remember the most is the episode with Keenan Wynn, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0720583/

Old-timer Alex invites Jim to use his ranch to work on his damaged bike with the hopes that Bronson will repair his Rudge Ulster; a bike that has been garaged since 1946 due to Alex's wife's hatred of motorcycles.

Rudge "with a bronze head".

John L
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:53 AM

Here's more. All of the stand in bikes in the series were Harleys, Sprints and 125 2 strokes. A CZ was used in the pilot.

http://www.thencamebronson.com/cycles.htm

John L

Last edited by LowRyter; 06-18-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page