Austrian GP - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
Austrian GP

So the guys are in Austria this week, where Ducati has won what?, the last three in a row, or more. Also, the only track Marquez has never won at. The pre-race presser today was VERY interesting. Since MotoGp links won't play here, i won't attach one, but you might be able to find a link on youtube. In case anyone is actually interested in watching it, I wont post spoilers, yet, but OH MY OH MY OH MY, there is a very juicy and salacious rumor going around the MotoGP paddock right now. Again, spoiler free, until i get home from work, then i will instigate a discussion. The presser is worth a watch if you can, the riders were very entertained, well, except Dovi, but his responses were just awesome. He made Crutchlow look like someone who absolutely adores the media. Cal, of course, was his usual self.

couldn't find a link an the tube of you
Paddlefoot64 likes this.

Just because it doesn't make sense, doesn't mean somebody didn't decide to do it that way.
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:40 PM
Chicken Strips

Garage
Is this related?

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...rossi/4510520/

Mike

1976 BMW R1000 Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:48 PM
Elbow Dragger

I read the alert on my phone. Rumor.

John L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
I read the alert on my phone. Rumor.

The big thing was Miller saying there might be some truth to it.

I like Dovi's response the second time he was asked, "you have to ask Gigi about that"
And Crutchlow, awesome as ever, "where do you guys get these things?"
NothingClever likes this.

Just because it doesn't make sense, doesn't mean somebody didn't decide to do it that way.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
All right, i'm blowing this up, im watching the presser again. They asked Miller about his contract situation, and he tried to play it cagey, but then he said,"we'll see when Jorge gets back from the Maldives, or wherever he's at, then we'll see what i'm doing." Then the camera panned out and all the riders were laughing. You could even hear some laughter in the audience. A little bit of a departure from normal.

Rossi was in a great mood, he was even smiling talking to Marquez before it started.

After they ran through the questions from the host for each rider, first question was for Miller, about his contract. He was all, we thought it was done, and they are just working out a budget, because he and his teammate(Bagnaia) are supposed to be on 2020 bikes next year, but now we will see. more smirks from the riders. Follow-up question basically asked for clarification, Miller said he talked to Paola Ciabbati(head of Ducati Corse) and said, there is some truth, but they still want me here.

Next question was for Marquez and Dovi, same subject.
Marquez: Jorge is Jorge. mentioned a year left on the contract. Lorenzo said, i'm not a great rider, I'm a champion. Marguez said, now hes on a winning bike, so he needs to show it. Ego and ambition also got mentioned, in the context of, he wants to improve himself, and will not be satisfied unless he does. Also made it sound like you don't come on board Honda unless you are committed to win. Maybe a little dig there.
Dovi: With cameras still focused on Marquez sitting back from the mic. "I completely agree with Marc." Laughter afterward.

Next question was for Miller, if he would join Repsol if Jorge came to Pramac. Miller, of course, is happy with Pramac. Worth noting, pre-press conference, the talking heads mentioned that Aussies have done well with Repsol. I only mention that because they HAVE done VERY well.

Question for Pol Espargaro about Austria and KTM, and his response was, of course its a big race for us.

Then to Dovi. The reporter asked since Ducati let Bautista go to Honda, if maybe they have lost faith in the rider. Makes me think the reporter is a dumbass. When i first heard this, i was at work, and couldn't hear the question, so Dovi's response seemed...harsher?..than i take it to be now.

Dovi:"You have to ask Luigi, you know." Above i said it as Gigi, that is what it sounds like when i hear it, but all of you out there who are smarter than me will know he is talking about Luigi Dall'Igna, head of Ducati factory team. "I'm not the right person to ask this." Sitting immediately to Dovi's right was Miller, who looked to doing his best to try not to appear to be laughing his ass off.

Nest question for Rossi, because he knows Lorenzo well, where he may be at.
Rossi: He talked about how now that Jorge is struggling, where before he was doing well on the Ducati, it might make sense. Also said he thinks Jorge can ride the Honda, but he is handicapped because he has been injured. This is true, he has the same injury I have(or do i have the same injury as him?), and he hasn't been in proper form all year.

Next question to Crutchlow about how he said last year Lorenzo would struggle being new to the Honda, and if this was true, would you want to take his place on the factory team?

Crutchlow:"Where do you people dream this stuff up?" F$cking classic! And much laughter. Cal then went on to compare the presser to The Eastenders(a british soap opera). Marquez had a good smile going. Next thing he said was that when he said Jorge would struggle, he was "correct". More talk about how Jorge was behind him at first with the Ducati, but then got comfortable, thus being faster than Crutchlow. Now he's glad to see Jorge struggle because that puts him behind again.

I have watched all the press conferences this year, and this one was by far the most entertaining. Most of the time, the answers are all along the line of Espargaro's. "yeah, its a big race for us, we hope to do well." Every once in a while you get tp see the ones where Rossi refuses to shake Marquez's hand. this one seemed to be so much fun because the riders were all laughing at contract questions, and everybody was laughing about the relationship questions between the riders. Listening to it again, seems to me like nobody really likes Jorge Lorenzo.

Now, onto the part of the press conference where every interviewee gets to answer a question pulled from social media. This one definitely seems to be a "favorite" of the riders. Every once in a while you do get a gem, however. A few races ago they had school kids come in and one told Miller he was, cute? handsome?, one of those? He was amused. Another one asking, i think Vinales to fill our a futbol team. Very funny.

Marquez: favorite after race meal? pizza and chocolate ice cream. He did mention deserving it. You KNOW that is not a normal part of his diet. Honda probably makes him take his nutrients intravenously!

Dovi: what is your favorite corner, and what does it feel like? (i like this question, especially the second part) Arrabbiata 2, when you hit it right, because it is hard with a blind exit and bump on entry. Also, turn three in Malaysia because it is a fast corner and you have to slide a lot. Probably Malaysia. This part is would take me a lot of words to describe, Dovi gives a great account of what he feels riding the bike. I might post more later. You guys really need to watch this press conference, it is pretty fun.

Rossi: Does he have any good luck charms, or superstitions? Everything is a superstition, and he has a plush turtle his mother gave him before his first race ever. When he was 6 years old.

Miller: What music would he listen to during the race? Something to calm me down b/c i'm ADD. laughter. probably reggae.

Cal: What sports do you watch, and do you have any sports idols? None, except cricket. But then Miller starts piping up how there is always sports on in the rv, but cal says he doesnt watch, and there is some banter, and Crutchlow hits out, "We're not married." there was laughter. Obviously, after this little exchange, Jack Miller is Cal Crutchlow's sports hero. Classic English dryness for it all.

Espargaro: Favorite tv series? Some spanish show about robbing banks or something. The riders try to help him translate, but i cant make it out, we dont care, f%ck it.

Overall, it was entertaining. If any of you have the MotoGP pass, its worth watching. It most likely will show up on youtube as well.
amoslws, Lambo and Miweber929 like this.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:50 AM
SuperSport Master

I can't see JL going back to Ducati.
The degree of disrespect he showed ducati management was unbelievable. The way he shouted at the team boss, not Gigi but the other one, Ciabatti or something like that. Seriously they were happy to see him go.
It was clear in the press conference that other riders don't hold high regard for JL. He was ridiculed by the top riders.
NothingClever likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoslws View Post
The degree of disrespect he showed ducati management was unbelievable. The way he shouted at the team boss, not Gigi but the other one, Ciabatti or something like that. Seriously they were happy to see him go.
It was clear in the press conference that other riders don't hold high regard for JL. He was ridiculed by the top riders.

Yea, i couldn't believe it either. I wouldn't think Jorge's ego would allow him to go to a non-factory team like Pramac, even if they are running 2020's next year. I wonder if Lorenzo caught any of that presser. He might be taking out a few more riders when he comes back.
psyopper and NothingClever like this.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Elbow Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoslws View Post
Never a fan of #99 for his arrogance to Rossi after was Rossi cheated out of the title by Dorna/#93. I didn't mind him winning the title since he had nothing to do with cheating but the his criticism and ingratitude totally ruined any fan support I had for #99 and #93.

But I will give him credit for making Duc more competitive. The word was the Ducati drug its feet to accommodate changes in the bike, including something as simple as changing the shape of the gas tank. He did win on that bike after a slow start. I suppose he has no opportunity to do that at Honda which is 100% MM and 0% for anyone else.
amoslws likes this.

John L
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:12 AM
SuperSport Master

So, I listened to the full interview and here are my takeaways.

1) Based on Jack Miller’s reaction (not his normal plucky self) and his answers, the contract continuity that he understood and that Pramac recently re-assured him about is genuinely undergoing re-consideration by Pramac’s exploration of a contract with Jorge. Sounds like Pramac may be talking out of both sides of their mouth.

2) Marc Marquez tactfully called out Jorge Lorenzo to “shut up and ride” (my summation) but gave him the breathing space as a professional teammate to do so.

3) Rossi was very diplomatic and accounted for Jorge’s tough start to the season (injury and the pressurized adaptation to a new bike) and the downward spiral it put Jorge in.

4) When responding to the Spanish press (the ones stirring the pot, BTW), Dovi was bang on with his deflection to Gigi. “I’m not the right person to ask.” Well played and appropriate.

5) Cal was the right guy at the right moment to question the press’ intentions, answered sincerely and successfully broke up the Spanish pot-stirrers. I really like Cal - he’s appropriately rough around the edges and nicely counterbalances a Top 5 that, IMO, can be a little overly cautious in their replies at times.

6) Also agree with the general comment about the smirks and chuckles at the beginning when Jorge’s name came up -- not a lot of group esteem for Jorge.
Lambo likes this.

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:24 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypermattard View Post
Yea, i couldn't believe it either. I wouldn't think Jorge's ego would allow him to go to a non-factory team like Pramac, even if they are running 2020's next year. I wonder if Lorenzo caught any of that presser. He might be taking out a few more riders when he comes back.
Im sure hes catching up to it indirectly through his social media accounts or through a Ducati press officer.

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page