The MotoGP Thread - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 357 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
SuperSport Master

The MotoGP Thread

I think we have a healthy contingent of dedicated MotoGP fans with excellent insight and analysis about the racers, their bikes, the tracks, each team’s management, DORNA and FIM.

I thought it would be convenient to have a common location for the latest observations and thoughts about the three series of MotoGP racing (not just the premier class).

Some members of our community have lots to give, others (like me) have lots we want to learn from other more informed and experienced fans.

I researched this sub-forum to ensure I wasn’t duplicating another thread. I found there were some great MotoGP threads but they were somewhat narrow, limited to a specific race or rider or even just a particular crash. So, I thought it would be nice to have a central conversation we can sustain from race to race and season to season.

If the Mods or the collective community think this is not a useful initiative, I am here to support our virtual community and won’t be disappointed if the thread is better off being filed in the circular file cabinet.
Rhino and Miweber929 like this.

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
post #2 of 357 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
SuperSport Master

Iíll do my best to provide a ďsoup starterĒ below.

So, Silverstone 2019, featuring a brand new surface, just ended with Alex Rins (SUZ) beating Marc Marquez (HON) by .013 of a second, the fourth closest victory in MotoGPís 70 year history.

Andrea Dovizioso (DUC), currently in second in the overall standing and favored to be somewhere on the podium, was unable to avoid a low-side by young, up-and-coming Fabio Quartararo (YAM) who over-corrected for a bit of a slide from Alex Rins in the first corner of the first lap. It was an ugly crash that could have been, but thankfully wasnít, much worse.

Maverick ViŮales (YAM) closed the gap with Rins and Marquez but still finished .620 behind Rins, a huge time difference in MotoGP racing.

Valentino Rossi (YAM), who had promising stats in the free practices and was anticipated to do well, was disappointed in his fourth place finish 11 seconds behind the race winner. MotoGP commentators (FWIW) yammered on about something must have gone wrong with VRís bike.

Danilo Petrucci (DUC) finished in 7th place, the magic of Mugello seeming to have been a one-off performance and evaporating in the 2019 season as quickly as it arose.

Jack Miller (DUC), resting assured with his 2020 contract extension, finished in eighth, not surprising given the technical nature of the Silverstone track and Ducatiís fame for being a bit slack in the steering head angle.

Jorge Lorenzo (HON), finally back from his broken vertebra recuperation and the bombshell news of his flirtatious contact with Ducati, finished in 14th place but was happy with his performance. It seems he has recanted the prospective return to Ducati and will stick out 2020 with HON. Probably a good idea since the majority of riders called him out for not performing commensurately with his smack talk.

Johannn Zarco (KTM), having recently announced his early separation from KTM and feeling relieved about it, wasnít able to translate that into on track performance as he wiped out his teammate, Miguel Oliveira, in lap nine.
Rhino and Miweber929 like this.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
post #3 of 357 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:09 PM
Training Wheels

That 0.013 seconds looked like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190826_163247_1566846560454.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	38528  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 357 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:10 PM
Training Wheels

amoslws and Rhino like this.
post #5 of 357 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:28 PM
Elbow Dragger

Two last corner passes in the last two races against the reigning champion, can't get better than that.
Dino de Laurentiis likes this.

John L
post #6 of 357 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboyblue View Post
Yeah! It was a compelling win by Alex and I enjoyed every millisecond of it.

Somewhere around .013 seconds later was MMís reaction shaking his head back and forth in anger that heíd been clearly outfoxed and squarely beaten.
Rhino likes this.

post #7 of 357 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 05:02 PM
SuperSport Master

Bwahahaha, hey that support for the underdog never dwindles.
I just loved MM93's reaction in the formal post race press conference when MM was told he was only faster than Rins in two of the corners across a full lap.
MM's ears pricked up and his eyes the size of dartboards, then he pretends to be sidetracked by his brothers incident in moto2.... MM's technique for handling loss is to pretend something more important has happened..
post #8 of 357 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 05:31 PM
Training Wheels

Garage
Without the falls, I think Rins would have struggled to contain Dovizioso and Quartararo while Marquez would have made a gap in the first few laps.
I also think that something did not work on Marquez's bike, at the middle of the race his pace was not constant and in the end he was in crisis with the tires. He tried to slow Rins by stopping in the middle of the corner knowing he could have better acceleration than the Suzuki. For this reason Vinales came close in the final laps.
On the last lap Rins didn't fall into Marquez's trap, he used trajectories that allowed him to come out strong from the last two curves ... and he was rewarded with victory!
However, Marquez lost the last two rounds because he was in trouble ... otherwise he would have come first due to a gap.
It is normal that he is angry because he has lost a few thousandths ... who would not be angry? But he must not even let his opponents see him, he is part of the game

Rossi never had the pace during the weekend, he was only fast on the single lap. Look at the times of FP3-FP4 and WarmUp

Petrucci is doing the same season of ups and downs as in Pramac ... driving the same bike for several years. He is a good rider but will never be a champion.

Same goes for Miller ... just that he talks a lot. Better to focus on your work rather than giving advice to others, especially when you haven't demonstrated anything in the field yet.
post #9 of 357 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:07 PM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany65 View Post
Without the falls, I think Rins would have struggled to contain Dovizioso and Quartararo while Marquez would have made a gap in the first few laps.
I also think that something did not work on Marquez's bike, at the middle of the race his pace was not constant and in the end he was in crisis with the tires. He tried to slow Rins by stopping in the middle of the corner knowing he could have better acceleration than the Suzuki. For this reason Vinales came close in the final laps.
On the last lap Rins didn't fall into Marquez's trap, he used trajectories that allowed him to come out strong from the last two curves ... and he was rewarded with victory!
However, Marquez lost the last two rounds because he was in trouble ... otherwise he would have come first due to a gap.
It is normal that he is angry because he has lost a few thousandths ... who would not be angry? But he must not even let his opponents see him, he is part of the game

Rossi never had the pace during the weekend, he was only fast on the single lap. Look at the times of FP3-FP4 and WarmUp

Petrucci is doing the same season of ups and downs as in Pramac ... driving the same bike for several years. He is a good rider but will never be a champion.

Same goes for Miller ... just that he talks a lot. Better to focus on your work rather than giving advice to others, especially when you haven't demonstrated anything in the field yet.
I think your judgement on Petrux is largely unfair. He is the only one to make points in every race this season. He is upholding the constructors points for Ducati.
It's fair to say only one of the 24 can be the champion. That doesn't mean the others don't belong there. I personally watch it to see the mad moves from extremely talented people. Naturally I grow a dislike for some riders because of their dirty tactics, such as MM.
NothingClever likes this.

Last edited by amoslws; 08-26-2019 at 06:22 PM.
post #10 of 357 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:58 PM
Elbow Dragger

Gratuitous photo of the winner (taken at COTA, site of his first win)

John L

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page