Atlanta area - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Atlanta area

I’ve been thinking about a job and location change for several years now, and especially looking for a way to move to a climate that would allow year round, or at least close to year round, motorcycle riding. A possibility popped up recently down south, something a little farther away away than I wanted but definitely doable. The one “drawback” is I’d be taking care of two markets, Atlanta and Greenville, SC; right now I take care of 5 in a northern climate with the farthest being 4 1/2 hours away in good weather which means this is a step up.

So I’m looking for some info on the Atlanta area: what’s the vibe, is it a good riding area, hows the city and outlying area, would you recommend it to someone, how are they with northerners, etc.? It’s important that my wife and I “fit in” and while I can read a ton about the culture and area, it’s nice to hear from others who live and maybe have moved there.

Before moving to Minneapolis almost 15 years ago, we lived in a city that HATED outsiders and the 9 months we lived there were the worst time in our lives and we don’t want to make that mistake again. I like the idea of seasons, one of the reasons I like the Knoxville area, but I want to get away from the 6 month hibernation I currently experience.

Anyone with experience there?

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 11:42 AM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
I’ve been thinking about a job and location change for several years now, and especially looking for a way to move to a climate that would allow year round, or at least close to year round, motorcycle riding. A possibility popped up recently down south, something a little farther away away than I wanted but definitely doable. The one “drawback” is I’d be taking care of two markets, Atlanta and Greenville, SC; right now I take care of 5 in a northern climate with the farthest being 4 1/2 hours away in good weather which means this is a step up.

So I’m looking for some info on the Atlanta area: what’s the vibe, is it a good riding area, hows the city and outlying area, would you recommend it to someone, how are they with northerners, etc.? It’s important that my wife and I “fit in” and while I can read a ton about the culture and area, it’s nice to hear from others who live and maybe have moved there.

Before moving to Minneapolis almost 15 years ago, we lived in a city that HATED outsiders and the 9 months we lived there were the worst time in our lives and we don’t want to make that mistake again. I like the idea of seasons, one of the reasons I like the Knoxville area, but I want to get away from the 6 month hibernation I currently experience.

Just a thought. I lived in the Hickory, North Carolina area recently and loved the weather versus my current SE Michigan location. Unless you've just got to live in a major metro area, don't discount Greenville, SC. I visited there several times and loved the "small town with access to everything" that Greenville offered. Take a good look before you decide on Atlanta.
Miweber929 likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 01:04 PM
Elbow Dragger

Never lived there but all of my motorcycle forums have a pretty heavy Atlanta contingent. The north GA riding areas are considered some of the best. I can attest that Chattanooga to Knoxville to NC, SC and GA hills are pretty nice with some famous haunts like Barber, TWO, Deal's and Wheels thru Time. Atlanta is considered one of the progressive large cities in the south for arts and entertainment.

I suppose I've said what everyone knows.

John L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 01:38 PM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
Never lived there but all of my motorcycle forums have a pretty heavy Atlanta contingent. The north GA riding areas are considered some of the best. I can attest that Chattanooga to Knoxville to NC, SC and GA hills are pretty nice with some famous haunts like Barber, TWO, Deal's and Wheels thru Time. Atlanta is considered one of the progressive large cities in the south for arts and entertainment.

I suppose I've said what everyone knows.
I'm hoping to do a bike trip that side of the ocean, sometime soonish. That's a nice little bit of info you've posted. This SS forum have a meeting up each August around that same route.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 01:48 PM
Training Wheels

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post

I can help you with this. I moved from the western suburbs of Chicago (grew up there) to Milton GA in 2000 primarily due the weather up north. While I love Chicago, after 40 some years I had enough. Milton is a semi-rural town on the northern edge of the suburbs, rolling hills, horse country, very nice. Its adjacent to Alpharetta, an up-scale hi-tech suburb of Atlanta, sort like Naperville for those who know Chicago. Good mix of locals and people from up North, very friendly down here, no worries fitting in. The original idea was to come to GA for 5 years, then off to AZ, but that was 20 years ago and I can't imagine leaving. I've lived and traveled for work around the US, all things considered, N GA is a really nice place to live. The weather is good (not CA by any stretch), I'd like it a bit warmer in the winter, but I can play golf and ride year around. Spring comes early (sometimes mid-Feb) and the Fall lasts forever (it's going to be 67 and sunny today). Downtown ATL is around 40 mins from my house and while it's nothing compared to Chicago, it does have most everything you'd want, entertainment, sports, food, and a major airport. Schools are great in my area, but not everywhere so you need to be aware of that. If you like water, the lakes are HUGE, deep, and clean. If you like to hike, great trails everywhere, the mountains are an hour away. The ocean/beach is about 5-6 hours away. And of course to the main point, if you like to ride, it doesn't get much better, starts when I roll out of my driveway, and you already know about the N GA/NC/TN area. I'm fortunate that I found a great town and made close friends with my neighbors who also ride, golf, and love the water. Can't go wrong with Milton/Alpharetta but there are other towns around the area I can recommend or steer you away from as the case may be. BTW, Greenville is fun, about 2 hrs from my house up I85. It has a great downtown and has many of the things that ATL offers, just not a big city. Good luck, contact me if you want more details.
Miweber929 and Paddlefoot64 like this.

2017 Ducati Supersport S
1997 Ducati 748 Monoposto
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200
2001 HD Road King Classic
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz33v4 View Post
Just a thought. I lived in the Hickory, North Carolina area recently and loved the weather versus my current SE Michigan location. Unless you've just got to live in a major metro area, don't discount Greenville, SC. I visited there several times and loved the "small town with access to everything" that Greenville offered. Take a good look before you decide on Atlanta.
Thanks for the info, great thoughts. You brought up one thing I realized I need to find more out about, whether Atlanta would be my “home” market or Greenville. If it’s Greenville, that’s a different ballgame altogether and I’d feel much better about the move. I spent a few days a couple years ago there when my dad wrecked on Hwy 28 around Walhalla and they airlifted him to Greenville. We ended up staying in town waiting for him to be released from the hospital; nice area, felt homy, even with everything going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemswan View Post
I can help you with this. I moved from the western suburbs of Chicago (grew up there) to Milton GA in 2000 primarily due the weather up north. While I love Chicago, after 40 some years I had enough. Milton is a semi-rural town on the northern edge of the suburbs, rolling hills, horse country, very nice. Its adjacent to Alpharetta, an up-scale hi-tech suburb of Atlanta, sort like Naperville for those who know Chicago. Good mix of locals and people from up North, very friendly down here, no worries fitting in. The original idea was to come to GA for 5 years, then off to AZ, but that was 20 years ago and I can't imagine leaving. I've lived and traveled for work around the US, all things considered, N GA is a really nice place to live. The weather is good (not CA by any stretch), I'd like it a bit warmer in the winter, but I can play golf and ride year around. Spring comes early (sometimes mid-Feb) and the Fall lasts forever (it's going to be 67 and sunny today). Downtown ATL is around 40 mins from my house and while it's nothing compared to Chicago, it does have most everything you'd want, entertainment, sports, food, and a major airport. Schools are great in my area, but not everywhere so you need to be aware of that. If you like water, the lakes are HUGE, deep, and clean. If you like to hike, great trails everywhere, the mountains are an hour away. The ocean/beach is about 5-6 hours away. And of course to the main point, if you like to ride, it doesn't get much better, starts when I roll out of my driveway, and you already know about the N GA/NC/TN area. I'm fortunate that I found a great town and made close friends with my neighbors who also ride, golf, and love the water. Can't go wrong with Milton/Alpharetta but there are other towns around the area I can recommend or steer you away from as the case may be. BTW, Greenville is fun, about 2 hrs from my house up I85. It has a great downtown and has many of the things that ATL offers, just not a big city.
Thanks SO much, this is EXACTLY the info I was looking for. Sounds like the area might offer what I’m/we’re into then. If everything were perfect, I’d love to be out of a major city or in a “smaller” big city but the only way I can make “decent” money in my current industry is to be in a big city. My wife loved Asheville and was hoping for us to find a similar feel. I was looking at the Alpharetta area as a possible area to live.

Quote:
Good luck, contact me if you want more details.
I may, thanks, especially if it starts to look like this may happen and we are looking at area to move and need to know what are good and what are not. I greatly appreciate the help.
brucemswan likes this.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 08:32 PM
Elbow Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoslws View Post
I'm hoping to do a bike trip that side of the ocean, sometime soonish. That's a nice little bit of info you've posted. This SS forum have a meeting up each August around that same route.
Deal's is the famous ride in the eastern US. Get there on the weekdays, preferable not during vacation time. It's really a great little twisty bit of road, 318 corners in 11 miles. During busy times you might find 8 cops and and a train of vehicles. Of the less busy times you can get some great rides but might hear ambulances twice a day.

On the other hand I can show you a road in Kansas that has none of the traffic, it has 11 corners in 318 miles.

amoslws and Paddlefoot64 like this.

John L
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 06:33 PM
Knee Dragger

The traffic sucks.
Miweber929 and A8tomic like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 07:50 PM
Elbow Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post
The traffic sucks.
what? Atlanta or Deal's? Both.