post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

F1 Cancelled so Drivers Race Virtually Instead

https://www.ladbible.com/technology/...stead-20200323

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 01:03 PM
SuperSport Master

I strive to be a positive guy but I’m going to cry foul on this.

I think it’s wrong to cancel events that COULD be televised to fans at home to keep life moving forward for the homebound.

It wouldn’t take hardly anything to run these races without all the fans in the stadium. While there would be a risk of an infected racer or race support crew flying in, it would not be difficult to conduct pre-boarding and pre-race medical screening to prevent contamination of other individuals essential to the conduct of the race.

I think after another few rounds of forsaken opportunity for profits, we’ll start to recognize we have to adapt and be more creative in our problem-solving.

I’ll give Grandpa Carmelo credit for considering this a few weeks back and I hope DORNA makes good on the option.
Ed K likes this.

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 04:42 PM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingClever View Post
I strive to be a positive guy but I’m going to cry foul on this.

I think it’s wrong to cancel events that COULD be televised to fans at home to keep life moving forward for the homebound.

It wouldn’t take hardly anything to run these races without all the fans in the stadium. While there would be a risk of an infected racer or race support crew flying in, it would not be difficult to conduct pre-boarding and pre-race medical screening to prevent contamination of other individuals essential to the conduct of the race.

I think after another few rounds of forsaken opportunity for profits, we’ll start to recognize we have to adapt and be more creative in our problem-solving.

I’ll give Grandpa Carmelo credit for considering this a few weeks back and I hope DORNA makes good on the option.
Since many of the F1 teams are in Italy, most of MotoGP teams and riders are in Italy and Spain, I don't see the possibility. Both countries are quarantined. I could almost see that happening with American racing but we don't have enough virus tests for drivers & crews. Also, it might send the wrong message for medical teams to be at the races when needed for the pandemic.

I have no desire to watch someone play video games however.

One of my riding buddies tells me that all MotoGP legacy stuff is free online now. But I won't watch race reruns either.
Ed K likes this.

John L

Ducs quack at midnight and 9am
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Wonder what percent of their profits come from live attendance ticket sales, vs television and online advertising, merchandising, etc?

I have no interest in watching anyone (even world class racers) play video games, either.
NothingClever and Grossi.BP like this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 10:50 PM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
Wonder what percent of their profits come from live attendance ticket sales, vs television and online advertising, merchandising, etc?

I have no interest in watching anyone (even world class racers) play video games, either.
The way F1 works is the venue/promoter/country/whoever funds the race, gives F1 $25-30M sanctioning fee to race at their venue. F1 owns the TV rights. And then F1 divides that money up with the teams and series. I suppose if the venue has any funds over the $25M sanctioning fee, they could keep it. I am not aware that many venues break even. For example, the F1 race at Indianapolis didn't pay for itself, despite the track being paid for and profitable for 100+ years.

Now you might ask how COTA which is a new track can pay for F1? Well, the state of Texas subsidizes it for $25M a year. The same tax scheme to pay for a Superbowl and other big events.

I am guessing the rest goes directly to the teams, regarding sponsorship and merchandising.

If you're asking about MotoGP, I think the scheme is the same but no doubt the sanctioning fee is quite a bit less.
Ed K likes this.

John L

Ducs quack at midnight and 9am

Last edited by LowRyter; 03-23-2020 at 10:55 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page