• 1 Post By Dox
  • 1 Post By Eyer
  • 1 Post By Dox
  • 4 Post By Dox

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Dox

Question Mulistrada advice

I'm thinking of getting a Multistrada 1200 S as a second bike.

There's one at my Ducati dealer...2010, 20k miles, 6500...before negotiations.

I saw it on Saturday when I popped in to order new tyres for Gina (she's going in for the exhaust valve under warranty next week and the rear tyre is shot).

The condition is amazing for a 9 year old bike. I'm looking for something to share miles and that I don't mind riding through winter while Gina is tucked up in a nice warm garage). I've had Gina just over 6 months and am approaching 6000 miles - 9000 in total.

I'm looking at all sorts of bikes...KTM Duke 390...good for nipping round town. Multistrada - good for the occasional further trip. Suzuki SV650...bit of fun. I want something that won't depreciate much or cost a lot to run over winter. The Multi will come fully serviced by Ducati, and the tyres are very fresh. Got an insurance quote - fully comprehensive 170!!! It's got panniers and top box (that'd be coming off...I hate top boxes) but the panniers can stay on and I could use it like a car for supermarket trips.

My question is...what should I be looking out for with the Multi? Frames; electrics; gearbox; engine, etc?

They seem inherently pretty sturdy from what I can gather online. I'm guessing some of you guess will have experience with them?
Paddlefoot64 likes this.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:50 AM

The first Multis from 2010 and some early 2011 had problems with the cylinder heads. They would become porous and leak coolant, usually into the exhaust port. Ducati's answer was to change the coolant from a standard blue coolant to a pink OAT coolant - specifically ENI/AGIP Permanent Spezial Coolant. There was recall for the coolant so make sure it has been done,
The horizontal head on mine went at 21,000 miles. Ducati changed both heads FOC with no quibble despite the bike being over 3 years old.
Like any bike they can have problems but apart from the cylinder heads I had no other issues in the next 25,000 miles.
If you do buy it check that you can get the lower rear shock bolt loose. Remove it and refit it with plenty of grease. In the UK they are a problem seizing into the swinging arm although I don't think our climate helps.
Ed K and Dox like this.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Dox

Great info, thanks Derek.

With this bike being just shy of 21000 miles and 9yo, I'll see about the coolant and if any work has been done on the head. The dealer is shut today so can't check until tomorrow, but hopefully will have a list of questions by then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

@Derek Was the dual spark second gen 11 degree as i recall also with some revised fueling a bit later, about 2013? Was this second gen smoother than earlier versions at lower revs?

@Dox did you test ride it?
Dox likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Dox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
@Derek Was the dual spark second gen 11 degree as i recall also with some revised fueling a bit later, about 2013? Was this second gen smoother than earlier versions at lower revs?

No I didn't have my gear with me, I just called in to the store when I was taking one of my boys to his (American) football training on Saturday.

I've never test ridden a bike before buying one before, but definitely would if I decide on this one because of it's age. I might leave work early tomorrow and go for a test.
Ed K likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post

IFIRC the dual spark version came for 2014, probably late 2103. They have all been 11 since the start of production and there have been various changes to the fueling with the dual spark supposedly smoother at low revs. The best change for low speed running that most riders find is to lower the gearing with 14/40 or 15/42 front/rear sprockets. OEM is 15/40.
Ed K and Dox like this.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Dox

Called about it this morning...it's already sold.

But they've got a newer one, 2014 with fewer miles but 2k dearer. This could start getting expensive. I'll probably be better holding off until nearer winter - should be better bargains to be had then.
Ed K likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:41 AM

I got a Duke 390 last winter to save my normal commuter the Z800, my Ducati is my weekend toy

this is a little write up I did on it https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/foru...700-miles.html

I turned it into a bit of a dirt tracker with knobblies and scrambler esk type accessories, now they bringing out a adventure 390 which will be a a consideration if I really want to go proper green lane
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DHG.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	37964  
Dox likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Dox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyer View Post
I got a Duke 390 last winter to save my normal commuter the Z800, my Ducati is my weekend toy

this is a little write up I did on it https://www.ktmduke390forum.com/foru...700-miles.html

I turned it into a bit of a dirt tracker with knobblies and scrambler esk type accessories, now they bringing out a adventure 390 which will be a a consideration if I really want to go proper green lane
Thanks, and a nice write up. I'm leaning towards the Multi...completely different bike to the Duke but I'll want to do some longer rides.

A nice trio you've got there.
Eyer likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Dox

Whoops! I seems I've bought a Multistrada to keep Gina company.

I know I said I'd take a test ride first, but I'm too busy to get to the dealership until next week...that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it

It's a '14 1200 S that the previous owner has spent a fortune on. Had a Pikes Peak replica paint job (which I'm not too bothered about) loads of carbon (again I'm not too bothered about) and a full Termi system with titanium can and up-map (which I am bothered about ). Even a carbon fibre handlebar, which they're switching back for me because the standard bar has heated grips. All the bits swapped out come with the bike.

Adding up the cost of the extras which I could find prices for, they come to over 5k. Basically he's lost 100% of the value of those bits.

Picking him up next week (this one is a 'he' unlike Gina) so I'll have to come up with a name before then. I'm thinking 'Vito'...we'll see.
Ed K, Lambo, DucColin and 1 others like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page