Monster Problems - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Monster Problems

You guys are certainly more mechanically inclined than I (at least some of you), so to you I pose the question:

On my 2014 Monster 796 ABS, can I jump start it by running with it and releasing the clutch while it is in gear? I believe my battery is dead (bike won't start), and after being on the trickle charger for a few days it has more life, but not enough to start it. The reading for my battery is just under 12. Right after I take it off the charger it creeps over 12, but not for very long. I really just want to confirm it is the battery before I buy a new one, so I thought if I could jump it by running with it at least I'd be a little more certain.

Oh the problems one runs into when they can't get enough of the SSS and so all the other toys start to be neglected....
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:45 AM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
On my 2014 Monster 796 ABS, can I jump start it by running with it and releasing the clutch while it is in gear? I believe my battery is dead (bike won't start), and after being on the trickle charger for a few days it has more life, but not enough to start it. The reading for my battery is just under 12. Right after I take it off the charger it creeps over 12, but not for very long. I really just want to confirm it is the battery before I buy a new one, so I thought if I could jump it by running with it at least I'd be a little more certain.
I'm not sure you can bump start these fuel injected bikes or just how many battery volts it might take.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:09 AM
Chicken Strips

Garage
Wouldn’t hurt to try. Use a higher gear (not first, LOL). Maybe the voltage regulator is bad. I’d say take battery out and have it load tested, but recently did that with car battery and O’Reilly’s tester was defective.

Mike

1976 BMW R”1000” Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Knee Dragger

Garage
5 years is a pretty good run for an OEM battery. Get it tested, my bet is it needs to get replaced. You *should* be able to bump start it, the battery needs most of it's cranking amperage to overcome the starter motor and crank resistance, which you are bypassing by running with the bike. But - the battery may not have enough internal energy to actually run the electrical systems like fuel pump and injectors.
Ed K, Bigwaves1 and junior like this.

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 SuperSport S

It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper View Post
5 years is a pretty good run for an OEM battery. Get it tested, my bet is it needs to get replaced. You *should* be able to bump start it, the battery needs most of it's cranking amperage to overcome the starter motor and crank resistance, which you are bypassing by running with the bike. But - the battery may not have enough internal energy to actually run the electrical systems like fuel pump and injectors.

I was happy with 5 yrs too (really it is working on its 6th season already). It has been on the trickle charger for most of the off seasons, but it has run down a few times when I forget to put it back on after the occasional ride.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:54 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
You guys are certainly more mechanically inclined than I (at least some of you), so to you I pose the question:

Oh the problems one runs into when they can't get enough of the SSS and so all the other toys start to be neglected....
Yup, bump start it but be sure you’re getting a good run at it, you’re in maybe 3rd gear and everything else is in good shape. At five years you are due for a battery regardless, just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz33v4 View Post
I'm not sure you can bump start these fuel injected bikes or just how many battery volts it might take.
You can, I’ve done it on 3 different FI motorcycles and had no issues. Two were because I left the USB ports plugged in directly to the battery on my Thruxton and CBR and didn’t ride them for over a month because I broke my back in a mountain bike accident.

The third was a guy at work who left his key on too long. All had enough juice to light the dash but not enough to turn over the motor.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:11 AM
Training Wheels

Garage
If the battery charger doesn't get your battery any higher than 12V in a day, your battery is dead. You need to replace it.
Miweber929 likes this.

Klag nicht, Kämpft!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:07 AM
Training Wheels

Get a Shorai
amoslws likes this.

Ride Fast
Shoot Straight
Speak the Truth
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:16 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:

You will quickly know the battery is shot if you do a load test with a Hawkins load tester. It's not your regular tester in your everyday toolkit., so maybe a visit to the battery centre is needed.

A volt test will not give you the condition of the battery, what you want to know is how much charge/current it can hold. That's the load test.

If you want to check the bikes charging system then start the engine, place the multimeter terminals across the battery terminals, when the bike is running you should get anywhere between 13.2-14.2V. If you're not getting higher than the nominal 12V then your bike has an electrical fault with the rotor/stator or the regulator.

Then do a current drain test on your bikes circuitry. The current drain test requires only a multimeter. Disconnect your negative terminal from the battery. Hook up the meters positive on the battery then hook up to the disconnected negative cable with the meters negative wire. Set the meter to 2 amps with the ignition off and you see the current drain on the meter. Not all meters are the same so you might need to check you have the wire in the amps slot on the meter.
Voltage is measured in parallel and current is measured in series.
Bigwaves1 and Miweber929 like this.

Last edited by amoslws; 07-13-2019 at 05:28 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:47 AM
Training Wheels

Quote:

Get a new battery. Pretty typical when it won't hold charge.

2018 Ducati Supersport

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page