Gina has a new friend - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Dox
Training Wheels

Gina has a new friend

Say hi to Vito! He’s a ‘14 Multistrada 1200S.
I picked him up after work and have been out for about 120 miles. Quite different to Gina obviously, and good fun. It doesn’t have the finesse of the SS, but the skyhook suspension is fantastic. Over some roads I know to be badly surfaced and jittery it would pull away from Gina easily.
A surprising point...the seat isn’t as comfy as the SS. I was only out for a couple of hours before I started to notice it.
Love the engine. Very tractable around town with huge gobs of torque at higher speeds. I’m looking forward to riding them back to back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	479EED4E-6633-4E52-AC5B-717AB7122DC1_1563915346611.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	38092  
Ed K, Ventura17SS, se7en and 5 others like this.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:10 PM
SuperSport Master

I have two buddies who are influencing me to buy a Multistrada.

Both have recommend purchasing a 2013-2014 model year bike due to the smooth throttle response at low revs, something important when you have a pillion.

These two mates ride every year with their wives through Tennessee and have invited my wife and me along.

One is a national AMA MX champion and the other is my work buddy who organizes track days and has enough momentum to pull in guys like Nick Ienatsch.

So, this is all a very long-winded way of saying Iím very likely to copy your purchase.

Vittorio looks to be a Pikes Peak version based on the livery (which I very much like).

Congratulations!
Ed K, Miweber929 and Dox like this.

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Dox
Training Wheels

Thanks NC!

He is very smooth at low speeds. He's not a Pikes Peak...the previous owner spent over £5k (GBP) on making it a PP replica including a full titanium Termignoni system and power up-map. It does sound meaty, but it doesn't pop and bang on the over-run like Gina. Most but not all PP's I've seen have the red frame whereas Vito doesn't.

The price I paid was competitive for the age and mileage (17751) against similar (standard, not PP) bikes, and I got him from my local Ducati dealership. Plus it's a Touring model so has heated grips, centre stand and panniers.
Ed K, NothingClever and Miweber929 like this.

Last edited by Dox; 07-23-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:58 PM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dox View Post
Plus it's a Touring model so has heated grips, centre stand and panniers.
Sheeeeeeee-THWACK...doinnnnnng!!

Thatís the sound of a bullseye, folks, from Sir Robin of Doxley.
Miweber929 and Dox like this.

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Dox
Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingClever View Post
Sheeeeeeee-THWACK...doinnnnnng!!

Thatís the sound of a bullseye, folks, from Sir Robin of Doxley.

Haha
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Congrats on the pick up. Looks very nice. I'm inseam challenged at 5' 8.5", so that's a tall first step for me. I have, though, had the opportunity to ride that very model a couple years back. I did enjoy that torque!!
Ed K and Dox like this.

~David~

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

@Dox Very nice compliment to the SS! Congrats!
Dox likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:31 PM
Knee Dragger

Yeah, congrats!!! Fun looking bike
Dox likes this.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Dox
Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Congrats on the pick up. Looks very nice. I'm inseam challenged at 5' 8.5", so that's a tall first step for me. I have, though, had the opportunity to ride that very model a couple years back. I did enjoy that torque!!
I'm 5'10" and am on tiptoes. I'd like the seat maybe an inch lower but can work around it...need to scan the road ahead for where you stop to make sure there aren't any dips or bad camber. I'll look for low seat options - I know the later version you can alter the seat height.
se7en likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Dox
Training Wheels

Last Thursday and Friday I had an overnight trip with a riding buddy up to Berwick Upon Tweed on the England / Scotland border. I wanted to test Vito as a touring bike - my pal was on his R1200GS.

Here is how Vito rates compared to Gina in marks out of ten.

Engine
SS - 7.5
MS - 9
The 1200 of the Multi is very tractable and smooth low down compared to the 939 in the SS. And the pull from 90mph is fantastic...at higher speeds it would pull away from the SS easily...no surprise given the extra BHP available.

Performance
SS - 9
MS - 9
Despite the lesser power of the SS, I'd rate the performance equally as the way she delivers her power is just as exciting. Maybe that's because of the riding position, it feels more exciting.

Handling
SS - 9.5
MS - 8
We all know that the SS is a master at handling in the twisties. And is easy great IMO at handling town traffic too. The Multi once on the move is good to throw into bends and will change direction with surprising agility. Around town, maybe because I'm a bit short for it, it feels very top heavy. The turning circle is incredible - but manouvering isn't easy. On some uphill hairpins in streaming rain and high winds the front end goes disconcertingly light. Side winds are also more of a problem for obvious reasons.

Convenience
SS - 7.5
MS - 8
Only 8 for the MS? Yes...the OEM panniers together only held the same as my Kreiger 30l bag. Maybe with more packing practice I could fit in more, but for the size of them I was amazed how full they got with just one nights worth of stuff (including the usual chain, locks etc). On my Italian tour I had enough for several night away with the Krieger and the SW-Motech panniers, which look tiny in comparison to the hard ones of the MS.

Comfort
SS - 9
MS - 6.5
This was the real shocker for me. How can the upright riding position cause aching wrists? Or maybe it's the vibration? It's not bad, but it's there. My wrists ache after about the same amount of time on the SS too, but they're taking some weight. Then there's the seat - it's not the worst I've ridden on, but the SS's is just so comfortable. 11 days in the saddle on the SS and was never anything other than fully comfortable. After an hour I'm wriggling, and after 90 minutes on the MS my arse needs a break. And after two days riding and about 430 miles, it's a big deal. If I decide to keep Vito long term a new seat would need to be sourced (Ducati have stopped making the replacement seats for this model). Wind protection isn't as good as expected. I've ridden with a Pikes Peak screen and the standard one. The standard keeps wind off the body well, but there's turbulent air on the top of my helmet which gets quite wearing. A Puig screen extender came in the boxes of bits I got with the bike but doesn't help. Finally on this subject, towards the end of a days riding after a couple of hundred miles, my knees start to ache just as much on the MS as the SS despite not being as tucked.
There isn't one way in which the MS beats the SS for comfort.

Overall
Having Vito in the stable has shown me just how awesome a bike the SS is. It's a masterpiece to be able to combine the range of abilities in such a neat package.

The MS, I have to say I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't do the touring bit better than it does...and not as well as the SS. The SS is a definite keeper. I'll keep hold of the MS for a while to see if it has other qualities that aren't apparent yet...and that engine is sublime. But maybe I'll look for something else after winter.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page