Yamaha FJ-09 Sport Tourer w/ Review - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Yamaha FJ-09 Sport Tourer w/ Review

(Review - Post #40)

So, I've been thinking of a new bike to add to the garage. No, the SS and my new/old Yamaha will not be going anywhere. I really want a nice sport tourer, but something different than the normal. I've had the Ninja 1000 and loved it (as many of you know, here), but want something different than a "sportbike with bags". I don't want a big bagger like an FJR or Concours, either!

So, I've been looking at a used 2016 Yamaha FJ-09, Raven color scheme. Those who know me, know I LOVE my black bikes, and this color scheme is my all time favorite. To sweeten this possible deal, the bike only has 2,080 miles. I really like the idea of an upright seating position, adventure bike. But I don't need the adventure part of an adventure bike, so BMW's are out. I know the Versys is another option as well as the V-Strom, and good ones, but I'm a Yamaha man and I really love their 3 cylinder engines, like the one in its FZ-09 sister. Press reviews on this bike are generally outstanding!

My primary goal for the bike will be riding 2up with the wifey and the SS nor my little 600R are the best for touring 2up on the regular. We don't have intentions of doing multi-day trips. Most will be 6-8 long rides through our area, here, with the possibility of an overnight stay on the rare occasion. As such, I still want a bike that will be fun for just me when riding solo, mainly commuting. I am a sportbike guy, after all, so some level of higher performance is required of all my bikes.

I've got a pretty good deal lined up on this one, if I choose to buy. I will still need to purchase hard bags and heated grips, though.

Do you guys have any thoughts or personal knowledge of this bike you can share?

Ed K and djcmx49 like this.

~David~

Last edited by se7en; 08-06-2019 at 07:32 AM.
post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Oh, and I'll be adding a "beak" to the front. I like the look better with it. Like this one...

Ed K, djcmx49 and Miweber929 like this.

~David~

post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 06:36 AM
SuperSport Master

No experience with the bike but this was on my short list when I was looking for a sportbike to commute on.

Easy for me to say since itís not my bank account but ďfull speed aheadĒ on the purchase.
se7en likes this.

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:01 AM
SuperSport Master

I am in a similar position Iím also wanting to get a bike for identical reasons. That FJ09 is called a Tracer here in Oz I was also tempted by idea of it, The storage solutions are great and the best thing about this bike. The picture of the screen looks good but Iím not sure itís the standard OEM as I found that the screen wouldnít keep me dry in the wet and was very noisy.The price was good but In the end It just didnít do it for me. I am leaning towards a BMW b1600 or yes believe it or not a Kwaka ZX14
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
I am in a similar position I’m also wanting to get a bike for identical reasons. That FJ09 is called a Tracer here in Oz I was also tempted by idea of it, The storage solutions are great and the best thing about this bike. The picture of the screen looks good but I’m not sure it’s the standard OEM as I found that the screen wouldn’t keep me dry in the wet and was very noisy.The price was good but In the end It just didn’t do it for me. I am leaning towards a BMW b1600 or yes believe it or not a Kwaka ZX14
I truly don't like getting my SS wet and dirty. I just don't! My Yamaha is more of a sentimental purchase and will be treated as a collector's item. So, I want an everyday bike...one that will take the brunt of what mother nature can throw at us. One that I don't care is dirty. One that I don't care about scratches or scuffs.

I'll look at the SS as my sports car. Driven occasionally when the weather is right...or the curves are calling.

As for the height, I think the Tracer will be good for you, man. The seat is height adjustable, and they offer a touring windscreen that adds 2 extra inches (5cm) of extra length...and its adjustable, too.
Ed K likes this.

~David~

Last edited by se7en; 08-01-2019 at 07:40 AM.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:45 AM
Chicken Strips

Garage
The FJ09 is exactly what my friend now owns after his dislike for 2 Ducati's both of which had major engine issues. His last was a Hyper after an MTS. He loves his FJ09.
se7en likes this.

Don C.
Sunshine and my ride is all I need...
2018 Ducati Supersport S, "Solana"
2017 Ducati Supersport S, "Annabella"
2006 Honda CBR600RR, "Red-Rocket"
1990 Honda VFR400 , "Baby V"
and a dozen more previously owned bikes
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
The picture of the screen looks good but Iím not sure itís the standard OEM as I found that the screen wouldnít keep me dry in the wet and was very noisy.
You're correct. That one is the Touring one, I believe. Supposedly, it offers much more protection than the OEM, plus there are several aftermarket manufacturers with various options. This bike has a TON of accessories...both from Yamaha and aftermarket.

~David~

post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcmx49 View Post
The FJ09 is exactly what my friend now owns after his dislike for 2 Ducati's both of which had major engine issues. His last was a Hyper after an MTS. He loves his FJ09.
Did you have a chance to ride it? What are your impressions either way?

~David~

post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:51 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
So, I've been thinking of a new bike to add to the garage. No, the SS and my new/old Yamaha will not be going anywhere. I really want a nice sport tourer, but something different than the normal. I've had the Ninja 1000 and loved it (as many of you know, here), but want something different than a "sportbike with bags". I don't want a big bagger like an FJR or Concours, either!

So, I've been looking at a used 2016 Yamaha FJ-09, Raven color scheme. Those who know me, know I LOVE my black bikes, and this color scheme is my all time favorite. To sweeten this possible deal, the bike only has 2,080 miles. I really like the idea of an upright seating position, adventure bike. But I don't need the adventure part of an adventure bike, so BMW's are out. I know the Versys is another option as well as the V-Strom, and good ones, but I'm a Yamaha man and I really love their 3 cylinder engines, like the one in its FZ-09 sister. Press reviews on this bike are generally outstanding!

My primary goal for the bike will be riding 2up with the wifey and the SS nor my little 600R are the best for touring 2up on the regular. We don't have intentions of doing multi-day trips. Most will be 6-8 long rides through our area, here, with the possibility of an overnight stay on the rare occasion. As such, I still want a bike that will be fun for just me when riding solo, mainly commuting. I am a sportbike guy, after all, so some level of higher performance is required of all my bikes.

I've got a pretty good deal lined up on this one, if I choose to buy. I will still need to purchase hard bags and heated grips, though.

Do you guys have any thoughts or personal knowledge of this bike you can share?

Two up? Will the 850 have sufficient Ooomph!!
Have you looked at the Triumph Explorer or Tiger. It's great value for money with most modern tourer technology.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:53 AM
Dox
Training Wheels

Called a Tracer in the UK too. I was looking at these before I got the Multistrada...probably a more sensible buy.

If you've got a good deal lined up, go for it...what's the worst case scenario financially if you really didn't like it (which you probably will anyway)?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page