Sideswiped on the Highway - Page 6 - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:26 PM
Elbow Dragger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan1984 View Post
They are citing my speed for the conditions. I agree with you...if she had a functioning turn signal, I see it, I slow down, she makes the lane change, we are good to go. BUT...
I forgot, regardless of all other considerations (except in rare occasions) it’s always the bikers fault. At least you were ok.
spartan1984 and Oldrider like this.
post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 03:39 PM
Elbow Dragger

Personally, I wouldn't have ridden that way. There were too many gaps in traffic and too much speed IMO. I saw too many places where cars couldn't see the rider and would cross over.

But please be safe. There are no fender benders on a bike. Be careful out there.

John L

Ducs quack at midnight and 9am
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
Personally, I wouldn't have ridden that way. There were too many gaps in traffic and too much speed IMO. I saw too many places where cars couldn't see the rider and would cross over.

But please be safe. There are no fender benders on a bike. Be careful out there.
I've been more cautious lately because of this incident.
Ed K and LowRyter like this.

spartan1984
2017 Ducati Supersport S
2014 Kawasaki Concours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
Update...received a couple of calls today. First one from the dealer saying my bike is fixed. Second one from the insurance company representing the driver who sideswiped me saying she was at fault and all fees (deductible, etc.) will be reimbursed Will pick up bike once we return from vacay
amoslws, se7en, Rhino and 4 others like this.

spartan1984
2017 Ducati Supersport S
2014 Kawasaki Concours
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 03:10 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan1984 View Post
Hi All,

Coming home today, was lane splitting (filtering) when a driver decided to change lanes and didn't see me (aka SMIDSY). Left side mirror and side case is trashed but luckily I didn't go down. Now have to deal with insurance.

https://youtu.be/Q2g8FMBgK6U
Firstly Spartan I'm glad you're OK.
I always lane split, no other way, otherwise I may as well be in a car.
With that said, it's hard to judge but I feel you may have been going a little too fast there Spartan.

If there's a car on one side and a gap on the other then there's a good chance the cager will switch across. It's built in to a cagers mentality, natural born lane crossers. Like their arms go into limp mode and end up in the other lane.

They narrowed the lanes here to fit more vehicles, now most bikers slide up the hard shoulder or emergency lane. I'm old fashioned and enjoy the lane splitting concentration factor so I stay cutting through between the traffic. Plus I get to give them a rumble from the akra race exhaust when they are on their phones. When it's boring like that I seek the phoners out and give them a good rumble.

Sad hey but fun nevertheless. I suppose we have to do something to make the best of the traffic.
Ed K, Derek, spartan1984 and 1 others like this.
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoslws View Post
Firstly Spartan I'm glad you're OK.
I always lane split, no other way, otherwise I may as well be in a car.
With that said, it's hard to judge but I feel you may have been going a little too fast there Spartan.

If there's a car on one side and a gap on the other then there's a good chance the cager will switch across. It's built in to a cagers mentality, natural born lane crossers. Like their arms go into limp mode and end up in the other lane.

They narrowed the lanes here to fit more vehicles, now most bikers slide up the hard shoulder or emergency lane. I'm old fashioned and enjoy the lane splitting concentration factor so I stay cutting through between the traffic. Plus I get to give them a rumble from the akra race exhaust when they are on their phones. When it's boring like that I seek the phoners out and give them a good rumble.

Sad hey but fun nevertheless. I suppose we have to do something to make the best of the traffic.
Ya, that day traffic was "weird." There were open spots and then they closed down quickly. I'm way more cautious now as the consequences of that day could have been way worse.
Oldrider and LowRyter like this.

spartan1984
2017 Ducati Supersport S
2014 Kawasaki Concours
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 06:23 PM
Elbow Dragger

Live and learn. We make split second decisions when we ride. The Go Pro works for second guessing Monday Morning Quarterbacks among us.

I am glad that insurance covered the bike and the rider is OK. I think he did us all a service to discuss the situation. Hopefully we'll all gain a little knowledge from it.

As the Sgt informing the Shift Brief on Hill Street Blues says "Let's be careful out there."

John L

Ducs quack at midnight and 9am
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips

Garage
I hope that all learned something from the experience. Sucks it had to happen but I think I'm better off for it. This is just another situation where many forum members chimed in and we learn from everyone, one of the many reasons I enjoy this place. It'll be nice to ride my bike with all of its parts intact again.
Ed K, amoslws, Rhino and 3 others like this.

spartan1984
2017 Ducati Supersport S
2014 Kawasaki Concours

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page