Ducati SuperSport Forum banner

Sideswiped on the Highway

4K views 57 replies 20 participants last post by  spartan1984 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Coming home today, was lane splitting (filtering) when a driver decided to change lanes and didn't see me (aka SMIDSY). Left side mirror and side case is trashed but luckily I didn't go down. Now have to deal with insurance.

#46 ·
Well folks, it's time to close the chapter on this incident. I stopped by highway patrol to pick up a copy of the accident report and the findings are that I (the motorcyclist) was the cause of the accident. I was cited for driving too fast in relation to the conditions (traffic, cars moving between 15 - 20 mph). Basically, failure to slow down when she was attempting a lane change WITHOUT a turn signal (which by the way wasn't working because she had been in a previous accident. No one to blame but myself, so take responsibility for my actions. Live and learn, but most importantly, live to see another day. Ride on mi amigos:grin2:

Reactions: Rhino
#52 ·
Personally, I wouldn't have ridden that way. There were too many gaps in traffic and too much speed IMO. I saw too many places where cars couldn't see the rider and would cross over.

But please be safe. There are no fender benders on a bike. Be careful out there.

#54 ·
Update...received a couple of calls today. First one from the dealer saying my bike is fixed. Second one from the insurance company representing the driver who sideswiped me saying she was at fault and all fees (deductible, etc.) will be reimbursed :laugh: Will pick up bike once we return from vacay

#55 ·
Hi All,

Coming home today, was lane splitting (filtering) when a driver decided to change lanes and didn't see me (aka SMIDSY). Left side mirror and side case is trashed but luckily I didn't go down. Now have to deal with insurance.

https://youtu.be/Q2g8FMBgK6U
Firstly Spartan I'm glad you're OK.
I always lane split, no other way, otherwise I may as well be in a car.
With that said, it's hard to judge but I feel you may have been going a little too fast there Spartan.

If there's a car on one side and a gap on the other then there's a good chance the cager will switch across. It's built in to a cagers mentality, natural born lane crossers. Like their arms go into limp mode and end up in the other lane.

They narrowed the lanes here to fit more vehicles, now most bikers slide up the hard shoulder or emergency lane. I'm old fashioned and enjoy the lane splitting concentration factor so I stay cutting through between the traffic. Plus I get to give them a rumble from the akra race exhaust when they are on their phones. When it's boring like that I seek the phoners out and give them a good rumble.

Sad hey but fun nevertheless. I suppose we have to do something to make the best of the traffic.

#57 ·
Live and learn. We make split second decisions when we ride. The Go Pro works for second guessing Monday Morning Quarterbacks among us.

I am glad that insurance covered the bike and the rider is OK. I think he did us all a service to discuss the situation. Hopefully we'll all gain a little knowledge from it.

As the Sgt informing the Shift Brief on Hill Street Blues says "Let's be careful out there."

#58 ·
I hope that all learned something from the experience. Sucks it had to happen but I think I'm better off for it. This is just another situation where many forum members chimed in and we learn from everyone, one of the many reasons I enjoy this place. It'll be nice to ride my bike with all of its parts intact again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.