Aprilia RS 660 - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Aprilia RS 660

Nice looking bike. About 105 hp, (very?) lightweight. Looks like a very cool bike to ride!

https://www.cycleworld.com/official-...prilia-rs-660/
djcmx49 likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 05:15 PM
Elbow Dragger

Garage
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 06:22 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
Looks like a very cool bike to ride!
This appears to occupy the same segment as our SS, but smaller/lighter. I would be concerned about the fairing, as it looks to be positioned too low to break the wind to your chest.
Ed K likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 07:56 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
The Aprilia RS models are purpose built sport bikes. For Aprilia I think the Tuono line is more of the same segment as the SS.

The RS660 is intended to compete with the R6, CBR650, etc. Small, light, nimble, race fairings. It's designed to be a class competitor middleweight/600CC sportbike.

I think that's what Ducati did wrong with the SS, it didn't slot it into an existing segment, so no-one knows what to compare it to - it's never as fast as the sport bikes, it's never as comfortable as the touring bikes, and all the dedicated sport-tourers outclass it in features, horsepower, carrying capacity and wind protection.

Don't get me wrong, if you could only have one motorcycle, I think the SS is hands down the best real-world, all around "riders" bike being made right now by any major manufacturer - because it's the best combination of the sport and sport-touring features out there. It's really that "one" bike that does everything you want really well. Almost as nimble as a dedicated 600CC sport bike, almost as comfortable as a dedicated sport-tourer, with enough carrying capacity to take you out for a week or more of travelling.

The Ducati engineers were given "free reign" in the parts bin to make their best bike and we got the SS. The problem is that motorcycle media has everyone convinced they want a class leading bike, or with class leading features, and the SS isn't in a class.
Ed K, amoslws, se7en and 7 others like this.

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 SuperSport S

It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:10 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper View Post
For Aprilia I think the Tuono line is more of the same segment as the SS. The RS660 is intended to compete with the R6, CBR650, etc. Small, light, nimble, race fairings. It's designed to be a class competitor middleweight/600CC sportbike.
For a bike to be in the Supersport 600 class it must make some horsepower and the RS660's 100 HP won't cut it when it is no lighter than the 3 and 4-cylinder competition. That said, the Tuono version looks to be similar in intent to our SS - the looks of a sport bike without the discomfort; a real-world street motorcycle. Perhaps the SS marketing message was off-target for its market, but this little Tuono will have the same concern, especially with all the bodywork, as it's not a true "naked" bike either.
Miweber929 likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Appears to be class leading(?) light weight at 169kg dry.

Likely aftermarket screens will be available.

I don't see it competing in the Sport Touring arena, or even light sport bike... almost creating a separate class.

Time will tell, but I think it will do pretty well. Little pricey for what's provided...it would do better if a thou less.
Miweber929 likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 09:31 PM
Knee Dragger

Saw a blurb about this bike this morning. Very interesting, looking forward to seeing one in person.
Ed K likes this.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Agree with @psyopper , entirely. Well said!
Ed K likes this.

~David~

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:24 AM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
Appears to be class leading(?) light weight at 169kg dry.

Likely aftermarket screens will be available.

I don't see it competing in the Sport Touring arena, or even light sport bike... almost creating a separate class.
The reported 169 Kg dry is 372 lbs; add another 50 lbs of battery and fluids to get a roughly 400-410 lb curb weight, which is not porky, but also may not be class leading when the Yamaha MT-07 is at 403 lbs wet. I do see the Tuono 660 competing in both the naked and light sport touring segments, as it has product features common to both. The only elements the SS has that are truly different are its larger fairing and bigger engine. I really like the new Tuono, just as I do the SS - both are standout designs.
Ed K and Dino de Laurentiis like this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:48 AM
Training Wheels

The 660 is aimed more at the “twin cylinder” classes of racing. It would be up against SV650’s, FZ07’s etc. It’s not meant to compete in “super sport” classes that are made up of 600 cc inline fours. Which, are a dying segment of the market.

I love my RSV4 and if I can pull it off, I’d gladly add the 660 to my quiver. I think it would be a blast on some of the smaller tracks we have in TX.
Ed K and psyopper like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page