QD Gunshot Installation Notes - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By se7en

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Garage
QD Gunshot Installation Notes

As promised a few notes to help you along, mods please move this if there is a better place to put it.

QD gunshot install.

OFF

1. Remove fairings L&R
2. Remove radiator guard
3. Loosen mountings and lower the oil cooler - dont fully disconnect.
4. Unplug exhaust servo motor
5. Disconnect servo motor - refit bracket bolt. Motor is still connected to cat by operating cable but drops to floor out of the way.
6. remove the rear brake master cylinder bolts and drop the piston to create space. Remove rear header heat shields, easy said than done, i had to drill one screw head. LH will come off, RH needs to released to enable access to O2 sensor.
7. 17mm spanner needed to remove the O2 sensor, take care not overtwist the wire ( see my final comment below). I released 3 cable ties to free the sheath and allow the cable to twist more easily. ( I also lifted the tank at this point to see if I could disconnect at the front but no joy as the cable disappears below the air box). RH shields will now come away. ( If access to the sensor is too restricted, perform 8-11 first) Refit and tighten O2 sensor.
8. loosen and lower the rear header clamp and remove the spring from the front connecting pipe.
9. Disassemble exhaust pipes and cat mounting points.
10. loosen but dont remove the three x 10mm front header retaining nuts. You need to create some play.
11. disengage the cat from the rear header - this was really a pain. I used a block of wood and a hammer to persuade it. Once it is free at the back its easier to disconnect the front joint using the play you previously created At this point it should drop free but as tea2jay warned, its really heavy so dont get body parts under it when falls.

Tea2jays comments added:
The top header pipe has 3 bolts. All three need to be loosened, but I do not recommend removing them. Since Space is so tight in there, it would be hard to put the bolt back in, especially the top right bolt.
With those bolts loosened, you should have some play to “rock” the cat box forward and backward ( towards the front wheel and rear wheel ). The idea is to work the connecting bottom pipe off of the bottom header pipe.
At first, I was not getting anywhere. So I took a break and tried again after 15 min or so. On the second attempt, I really started to use a lot of force pulling and pushing the the cat assembly. I could tell that it was almost clear and kept at it until it finally came loose.
Please make sure that your hands, feet, or anything else you don’t want to break is clear. The cat is very heavy and drops like a brick once it gets loose.
I highly highly recommend the use of front and rear stands. Using that much force on a bike with just a rear stand or just the kick stand would have a high chance of the bike falling over.

ON

12. Install the base section of qd pipework, front connector first, then rear - put the rear header clamp on before you offer it up.
13. prefit the two vertical pipes and then the cans.
14. Check / adjust for gaps and alignment, then fit the front pipe spring connector.
15. Re-tighten the front header nuts, be careful not to over stress, snapped studs are not going to be welcome.
16. Tighten the rear header clamp.
17. Fit the 2 x springs on the vertical pipes. This was a bit tricky but I managed by looping thin electrical wire through the top spring hook, lowering it till it engaged in the bottom eye then pulling it up to the top eye.
18. Remove cans and prefit the hangers to the cans - tighten later.
19. remove pillion pegs.
20. Apply clamps to the vertical pipes and Install cans and pillion pegs using the spacers and longer bolts provided - see pic
21. finally tighten clamps and can screws.
22. Install exhaust servo plug in and tie wrap to the motor bracket. - see pic
23. finally adjust the O2 sensor cable for best clearance from the vertical pipe and reapply the tie wraps to secure.
24. Refit the rear brake piston and mounting bolts, at this point I also had to bend the reservoir bracket a tadge to clear the RH pipe.
25.re hang oil cooler.

Fire it up

Let it heat soak for 10-15mins, dont be alarmed by steam/smoke coming off, its only the build chemicals burning out. Re-check for touch points during running.

No ecu warning lights ? all is well and you have earned the big grin you're now going to get when you spool it up.

ECU light ! it didnt happen to me but I would check the ESR plug first and if thats OK, you might have broken the O2 sensor cable in which case you need more informed help than I can give.

Disclaimer : No trained mechanics were injured during the making of this and the author fully accepts that there may be a better method out there.
Hope this is useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spacer orientation.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	22890   Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust eliminator.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	22898   Click image for larger version

Name:	es eliminator.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	22906  

Last edited by typhoon47; 02-23-2018 at 07:03 PM.
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Moved to its own thread. Too important to be buried on page 22 of the other thread.
titus.sensei and Ed K like this.

~David~

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 08:18 AM
SuperSport Master

< cue superhero cartoon title soundtrack >

Suuuuuper Mod!

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:19 PM
Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon47 View Post
As promised a few notes to help you along, mods please move this if there is a better place to put it.

QD gunshot install.

OFF

1. Remove fairings L&R
2. Remove radiator guard
3. Loosen mountings and lower the oil cooler - dont fully disconnect.
4. Unplug exhaust servo motor
5. Disconnect servo motor - refit bracket bolt. Motor is still connected to cat by operating cable but drops to floor out of the way.
6. remove the rear brake master cylinder bolts and drop the piston to create space. Remove rear header heat shields, easy said than done, i had to drill one screw head. LH will come off, RH needs to released to enable access to O2 sensor.
7. 17mm spanner needed to remove the O2 sensor, take care not overtwist the wire ( see my final comment below). I released 3 cable ties to free the sheath and allow the cable to twist more easily. ( I also lifted the tank at this point to see if I could disconnect at the front but no joy as the cable disappears below the air box). RH shields will now come away. ( If access to the sensor is too restricted, perform 8-11 first) Refit and tighten O2 sensor.
8. loosen and lower the rear header clamp and remove the spring from the front connecting pipe.
9. Disassemble exhaust pipes and cat mounting points.
10. loosen but dont remove the three x 10mm front header retaining nuts. You need to create some play.
11. disengage the cat from the rear header - this was really a pain. I used a block of wood and a hammer to persuade it. Once it is free at the back its easier to disconnect the front joint using the play you previously created At this point it should drop free but as tea2jay warned, its really heavy so dont get body parts under it when falls.

Tea2jays comments added:
The top header pipe has 3 bolts. All three need to be loosened, but I do not recommend removing them. Since Space is so tight in there, it would be hard to put the bolt back in, especially the top right bolt.
With those bolts loosened, you should have some play to “rock” the cat box forward and backward ( towards the front wheel and rear wheel ). The idea is to work the connecting bottom pipe off of the bottom header pipe.
At first, I was not getting anywhere. So I took a break and tried again after 15 min or so. On the second attempt, I really started to use a lot of force pulling and pushing the the cat assembly. I could tell that it was almost clear and kept at it until it finally came loose.
Please make sure that your hands, feet, or anything else you don’t want to break is clear. The cat is very heavy and drops like a brick once it gets loose.
I highly highly recommend the use of front and rear stands. Using that much force on a bike with just a rear stand or just the kick stand would have a high chance of the bike falling over.

ON

12. Install the base section of qd pipework, front connector first, then rear - put the rear header clamp on before you offer it up.
13. prefit the two vertical pipes and then the cans.
14. Check / adjust for gaps and alignment, then fit the front pipe spring connector.
15. Re-tighten the front header nuts, be careful not to over stress, snapped studs are not going to be welcome.
16. Tighten the rear header clamp.
17. Fit the 2 x springs on the vertical pipes. This was a bit tricky but I managed by looping thin electrical wire through the top spring hook, lowering it till it engaged in the bottom eye then pulling it up to the top eye.
18. Remove cans and prefit the hangers to the cans - tighten later.
19. remove pillion pegs.
20. Apply clamps to the vertical pipes and Install cans and pillion pegs using the spacers and longer bolts provided - see pic
21. finally tighten clamps and can screws.
22. Install exhaust servo plug in and tie wrap to the motor bracket. - see pic
23. finally adjust the O2 sensor cable for best clearance from the vertical pipe and reapply the tie wraps to secure.
24. Refit the rear brake piston and mounting bolts, at this point I also had to bend the reservoir bracket a tadge to clear the RH pipe.
25.re hang oil cooler.

Fire it up

Let it heat soak for 10-15mins, dont be alarmed by steam/smoke coming off, its only the build chemicals burning out. Re-check for touch points during running.

No ecu warning lights ? all is well and you have earned the big grin you're now going to get when you spool it up.

ECU light ! it didnt happen to me but I would check the ESR plug first and if thats OK, you might have broken the O2 sensor cable in which case you need more informed help than I can give.

Disclaimer : No trained mechanics were injured during the making of this and the author fully accepts that there may be a better method out there.
Hope this is useful.
Hi Tea2jays. Just fitted Twin Gunshot + your notes very helpful. Servo eliminator worked just fine fortunately!
Just one question - fasteners pack from QD included a 5mm Allen bolt + washer, and a 35mm long s/s sleeve which could fit that bolt. I have absolutely no idea of its function or where that might go! Did you find a place? Cheers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page