Akrapovic muffler adapted to Werkes... - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Akrapovic muffler adapted to Werkes...

After 3 years of trying to quiet the brash, irritating, loud sound coming out of my Comp. Werkes exhaust...I gave up. Was gonna switch to the Termi, but this very sweet Akrapovic muffler, made to fit a 939 Hypermotard (pretty close) caught my eye...Revzilla had the best price plus 30 day return, no restock, if I didn't think it would work. I know 5 minutes after I had it, I wouldn't be returning it...I can weld stainless, but not titanium, so all modifications were done to the Werkes stainless pipe...the Akra is feather-light, way less than half the Werkes muffler, so I was able to mount it using springs only, along with a very snug pipe fit.

The sound? Well, let's just say my 3 year headache suddenly disappeared. I got it now, pure Ducati sound! Pure Akrapovic sound. Two-cylinder Ducati's have a unique & wonderful sound, and I'm so glad to have it now. It's almost too quiet now, but after that grating racket, the Akra sounds very pleasant...plus, I can still remove the baffle. Yes, I considered the Akra system for the SSS, but didn't like the high, dual pipes...there's a perfect spot for the muffler, down low on the right side...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Akra1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	39118  
sunstar557, Ed K, amoslws and 9 others like this.

John
2017 Supersport S, Rosso
Gone but not forgotten: '66 Yamaha Twin-Jet 100, '71 Suzuki X-6 Hustler, '80 Kawa KZ550, '86 Honda VF500-4, '01 Kawa ZRX 1100, '07 Yamaha FZ1
2019 Corvette Stingray, 7-speed manual
2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited 3.2
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 08:11 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Would be nice to hear audio of it. Love your forged Marchesini wheels.

Mike

1976 BMW RĒ1000Ē Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
2002 C4S 996
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 09:12 PM
Knee Dragger

Man, that looks great. Iíd buy one opinion a heartbeat if it was available.
Paddlefoot64 likes this.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 01:54 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksport View Post
After 3 years of trying to quiet the brash, irritating, loud sound coming out of my Comp. Werkes exhaust...I gave up. Was gonna switch to the Termi, but this very sweet Akrapovic muffler, made to fit a 939 Hypermotard (pretty close) caught my eye...Revzilla had the best price plus 30 day return, no restock, if I didn't think it would work. I know 5 minutes after I had it, I wouldn't be returning it...I can weld stainless, but not titanium, so all modifications were done to the Werkes stainless pipe...the Akra is feather-light, way less than half the Werkes muffler, so I was able to mount it using springs only, along with a very snug pipe fit.

The sound? Well, let's just say my 3 year headache suddenly disappeared. I got it now, pure Ducati sound! Pure Akrapovic sound. Two-cylinder Ducati's have a unique & wonderful sound, and I'm so glad to have it now. It's almost too quiet now, but after that grating racket, the Akra sounds very pleasant...plus, I can still remove the baffle. Yes, I considered the Akra system for the SSS, but didn't like the high, dual pipes...there's a perfect spot for the muffler, down low on the right side...
I recall you being one of the first, if not the very first, to try the CW on the SS. You always felt it was too loud.
What is the pipe diameter? Is it a 50mm, or 55mm.?
sunstar557 and Paddlefoot64 like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 04:30 AM
Chicken Strips

Quote:

Looks great. How the termi should’ve been done, with regards to position, angle etc. How much did you have to do modify the CW pipe?

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2003 CCM R30 (project build)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 07:28 AM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Notice that CW sells an insert for the SS exhaust. Has anyone tried that to quieter the CW muffler? Love the look of CW system installed. Too bad they donít just sell the cat delete pipe sans muffler.

Large Exhaust Insert | 1.5
sunstar557 likes this.

Mike

1976 BMW RĒ1000Ē Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
2002 C4S 996
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 11:34 AM
Training Wheels

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddlefoot64 View Post
Notice that CW sells an insert for the SS exhaust. Has anyone tried that to quieter the CW muffler? Love the look of CW system installed. Too bad they donít just sell the cat delete pipe sans muffler.

Large Exhaust Insert | 1.5
I have the baffle in mine but it's still very loud as @Blacksport described. I wear ear plugs so it doesn't bother me as much anymore and when you're ripping around it's sounds pretty mean.

2017 Ducati Supersport S
1997 Ducati 748 Monoposto
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200
2001 HD Road King Classic
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Answers to questions...

I'll try to make a video/audio soon...I can tell you the sound is fantastic...pure Ducati. Nobody brings out the Ducati sound like Akrapovic.

The muffler is available, Revzilla, but you have to have Comp Werks system installed...buying both wouldn't be outrageous, about $1700...knowing the incredible sound, it would be worth it...the Akra for SSS is like $2500, right?

The Werkes pipe swells out to around 60mm where I cut the muffler off, which was still slightly loose in the Akra inlet...since we had to add about 3/4", we made the diameter a snug fit, and canted slightly to keep the muffler in tight. The snug fit and springs alone hold the muffler on tight.

Yes, the Termi should have a more upward slant...still a pretty good system with a very good sound...

I must have tried 5 or 6 modified inserts, with varying baffles, to try and capture the Ducati sound. No luck...something about that CW muffler, it will not make a pleasant sound, IMO...

Bruce...get the Akrapovic muffler, it's $550 at Revzilla...take your CW muffler off at the clamp...send both to me...I'll send it back, you slide it on and you will be AMAZED!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	akraHyp.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	39132  

John
2017 Supersport S, Rosso
Gone but not forgotten: '66 Yamaha Twin-Jet 100, '71 Suzuki X-6 Hustler, '80 Kawa KZ550, '86 Honda VF500-4, '01 Kawa ZRX 1100, '07 Yamaha FZ1
2019 Corvette Stingray, 7-speed manual
2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited 3.2
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 09:28 PM
Training Wheels

Garage
Quote:
I'll try to make a video/audio soon...I can tell you the sound is fantastic...pure Ducati. Nobody brings out the Ducati sound like Akrapovic.

The muffler is available, Revzilla, but you have to have Comp Werks system installed...buying both wouldn't be outrageous, about $1700...knowing the incredible sound, it would be worth it...the Akra for SSS is like $2500, right?

The Werkes pipe swells out to around 60mm where I cut the muffler off, which was still slightly loose in the Akra inlet...since we had to add about 3/4", we made the diameter a snug fit, and canted slightly to keep the muffler in tight. The snug fit and springs alone hold the muffler on tight.

Yes, the Termi should have a more upward slant...still a pretty good system with a very good sound...

I must have tried 5 or 6 modified inserts, with varying baffles, to try and capture the Ducati sound. No luck...something about that CW muffler, it will not make a pleasant sound, IMO...

Bruce...get the Akrapovic muffler, it's $550 at Revzilla...take your CW muffler off at the clamp...send both to me...I'll send it back, you slide it on and you will be AMAZED!
I donít doubt the Akra sounds awesome and I appreciate the offer but I need to think about it. Iíve already spent a ton on accessories for the SS. I also have a CF belly pan that works great with the CW exhaust but only clears the pan by 1/4 inch so not sure it will clear the Akra. Lastly my exhaust is black which I love against a white bike. My next purchase will most likely be upgrading my riding jacket and pants to leather from textile. Thinking Dainese Racing 3 perforated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	30D7F0CD-D1CE-4FB2-B1B7-E8A19092AE3F.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	39136  
djcmx49 and Paddlefoot64 like this.

2017 Ducati Supersport S
1997 Ducati 748 Monoposto
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200
2001 HD Road King Classic
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 11:49 PM
Chicken Strips

Garage
Really like the look of your black CW on your white SS @brucemswan . I too was worried about the volume of the CW as many here said it was very loud even with baffle in. That and cost swayed me into getting the Termi...I love the sound of the Termi and the looks is growing on me...lol

I can appreciate your dilemma, the cost of aftermarket exhausts does stress one's gear budget.
brucemswan likes this.

Don C.
Sunshine and my ride is all I need...
2018 Ducati Supersport S, "Solana"
2017 Ducati Supersport S, "Annabella"
2006 Honda CBR600RR, "Red-Rocket"
1990 Honda VFR400 , "Baby V"
and a dozen more previously owned bikes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page