Pirelli Angel GT as Replacement Tire - Page 10 - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 03:46 AM
Chicken Strips

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd5041 View Post
I just wanted to give everyone an update. I moved over to the Angel GTs at about 6000 miles. I just hit 12000 miles and have about .13" (~3.3mm) of tread until the wear bars. I commute on the highway everyday and hit the canyons every once in a while. If your a commuter, these tires are a no brainer.
Just switched the rear to Angel GTs for the same reason you mentioned
Ed K and NothingClever like this.

spartan1984
2017 Ducati Supersport S
2014 Kawasaki Concours
post #92 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 06:48 PM
Training Wheels

Garage
Revisiting this thread after 10 months since the last post. I have gone through 2 rear and one front Pirelli Rosso 111 tyres (tires!) in just over 11000kms and I now need to replace both front and rear this time. Any further feedback on those forum members that tested Pirelli Angel GT as replacements, or other options? Thanks in advance.
post #93 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 10:38 PM
Training Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Desmo View Post
Revisiting this thread after 10 months since the last post. I have gone through 2 rear and one front Pirelli Rosso 111 tyres (tires!) in just over 11000kms and I now need to replace both front and rear this time. Any further feedback on those forum members that tested Pirelli Angel GT as replacements, or other options? Thanks in advance.
I'm on my second set of Dunlop RoadSmart 3's. This set have about 1,000 mls left on them, which would match the 7,000 plus miles of the first set. They offer more grip than I'm willing to use on the road. Very consistent, wear and performance over their life. I already have the next set waiting in the garage. I had a set of Angel GT's on my Triumph ST1050. Replaced them with RS3's and never went back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 10:58 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Gill View Post
I'm on my second set of Dunlop RoadSmart 3's. This set have about 1,000 mls left on them, which would match the 7,000 plus miles of the first set. They offer more grip than I'm willing to use on the road. Very consistent, wear and performance over their life. I already have the next set waiting in the garage. I had a set of Angel GT's on my Triumph ST1050. Replaced them with RS3's and never went back.
RS work well. I don't think I care to try any other tire. I found what works for me.

Plus, they're frequently on sale. I got a set of RS2 for $163 shipped, front and rear, last month. Manufacture date was Feb 2019; practically right out of the factory. I always get the previous gen when it goes on sale.
Duke of Desmo likes this.

Last edited by 1uglybastard; 10-14-2019 at 11:01 PM.
post #95 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:00 AM
Training Wheels

Garage
I have had the GT's for the summer. They have a slight flat spot on the rear, but still some tread left on them front and back. Front wears very nicely. I've done almost 10000km's on them, including one track day. I think I will run the for what is left of the autumn, and little bit through the spring as well. Probably will get 11000km's out of them without issues.

Performance wise I've very little to complain. Grip is good and lighting up the TC light on dry clean road requires quite a bit of effort. Now, as the temps are around zero, they are more slippery, but then again all tires are. Wet weather performance is good too, again good grip and predictable. Steering is slower than on the Rosso III's, but in my opinion SS is still quick to steer. I think in this case slower steering is not entirely a bad thing.

All in all, I think I will buy another set of them next year.

Klag nicht, Kämpft!
post #96 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:17 AM
Training Wheels

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jippo View Post
I have had the GT's for the summer. They have a slight flat spot on the rear, but still some tread left on them front and back. Front wears very nicely. I've done almost 10000km's on them, including one track day. I think I will run the for what is left of the autumn, and little bit through the spring as well. Probably will get 11000km's out of them without issues.

Performance wise I've very little to complain. Grip is good and lighting up the TC light on dry clean road requires quite a bit of effort. Now, as the temps are around zero, they are more slippery, but then again all tires are. Wet weather performance is good too, again good grip and predictable. Steering is slower than on the Rosso III's, but in my opinion SS is still quick to steer. I think in this case slower steering is not entirely a bad thing.

All in all, I think I will buy another set of them next year.
Thanks @Jippo So basically you have at least twice the distance on the rear. Impressive! Our ambient temperatures are much higher and we ride all year round but great feedback.
post #97 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:05 AM
Training Wheels

Garage
I have had the Angel GT IIs for some weeks now. My experience so far is that they behave no differently as far as handling and cornering are concerned.

They grip like limpets for me and engender a high degree of confidence.

I'll report back as I put more miles on them but so far so good.

Hope this helps...
post #98 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:49 AM
Training Wheels

Garage
I replaced the Rosso III with an Angel GT @ 3,000 and it lasted about 4K when I replaced it with the second Angel GT, which now has 4500 and will probably go another 2000 before replacement. With the first Angel, almost all of the miles were on Arkansas twisty back roads with lots of up shifts under power with the DQS. The second tire just finished a 3000 mile road trip to NM, CO,WY,UT, CO, NM and OK (including two trips across the OK Panhandle). Much less power on up shifting.

Brenda got about 4K out of the Rosso III and now has about 3,500 on the Angel GT with at least another 4K to go.

My conclusion is that lots of power on upshifting with DQS puts a lot of stress on the rear tire and significantly reduces tire life, but also greatly increases the fun factor!

As I have previously opined, I don’t see much difference in the Rosso III and the Angel GT as far as handling etc. The Angel just lasts longer, at least for us.

We really like the Angel GT.

Mark Craige
Tulsa OK
'17 SuperSport S, Akra Slip-ons, touring w/s, hard bags, etc.
'12 Multistrada 1200S Touring, full Termi., (sold)
'10 848 Hayden SE, full Termi. (sold)
‘04 ST4s, full Termi., PCIII (sold)
'04 BMW R1100SA BCR, Staintune, Ohlins
post #99 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Training Wheels

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Desmo View Post
Thanks @Jippo So basically you have at least twice the distance on the rear. Impressive! Our ambient temperatures are much higher and we ride all year round but great feedback.
It depends a lot on the use too. I mostly commute, so it is easy on the tire. Not so many chances to really open up, but rather just going with the flow. I am sure the torque at full gas accelerations would eat the tire up fairly quickly, if that was majority of the driving.

But compared to Rosso III's, I think I was at 7800km's when I wore those right to the plyes (at the end of the life the tire wears suprisingly fast!). I would think I will be able to do the 11k km's without going that far at all, so I'd guess I get at least 40-50% longer life on the GT's compared to the Rosso's. I think it is reasonable to expect similar improvement with your driving style and conditions.

Klag nicht, Kämpft!
post #100 of 113 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 06:31 PM
Training Wheels

Garage
Thanks to all for the comments guys. I will order the Angel GT2's today. I don't use DQS purely because I have a 2004 749S track bike and a '78 900SS bevel and don't want to get confused! Good to know it may extend my tyre life but at 5500kms per Rosso 111 rear....maybe not! My choice for longer tyre life is not entirely cost driven but the hassle of getting wheels in and out etc on my own at home.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page