• 3 Post By 1uglybastard
  • 3 Post By theresanothersteve
  • 2 Post By 1uglybastard

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
Tpms

I purchased a tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) as part of my quest for information. Now I have suspension sorted I need something else to obsess about...

As most of you know, I follow the teachings of Dave Moss fairly closely, at least in terms of bike setup.

He suggests that for street use, after a ride of 30 minutes your tyres should have a 3 to 4 psi gain. If you get less than 2, your tyre is over-inflated while more than 5 is under-inflated. Correct inflation obviously means your tyre is at the correct operating temperature. For the track, he says you want a 5 to 7 psi gain.

The first thing I've noticed is the difference that comes from lower ambient temperatures before you start out. For example, it's winter here and the Adelaide Hills is cooler than the plains. So, I'm filling the tyres during the day with an ambient temperature of about 12C. When I take off for work it's typically 3C. I'm seeing a 2 psi drop just from the change in ambient.

Going home, when it's about 15C the starting pressures are pretty much as I expect.

So, what am I seeing my Diablo Rosso IIIs do?

Firstly the front will heat up when cornering and braking, but as soon as I get to the flat land and straight roads it will cool down pretty quickly. 36 psi seems pretty good in the cooler weather, interesting to see what happens when we get into summer.

The rear is slower to heat up than I expected, but it suddenly gains 3 psi about 10 miles into the ride. Then it remains constant. Its looking like 37 psi might be the go at the moment, but I need to see what happens as the ambient rises.

I'm also keen to take the bike out for a spirited ride, to see what difference that makes. A short harder ride indicates the front will come up fairly quickly.

I wonder how much this has to do with the small volume of the front?
Ed K, Rhino, Duke of Desmo and 2 others like this.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:21 AM
SuperSport Master

Well observed. Great topic, get ready for the customary comments Like
Quote:
Ducati say in the manual put 36PSI front and back and just ride it who do you think you are Rossi ?
I think You will find that the CAT if you have one has a big input in heating up the rear tyre. When the Summer temps go up 34C - 36C I use 31 in the front and 33 in the rear set at an ambient temp of approx. 16C (morning temp before I set off) As I have said before somewhere on the forum (As we have discussed this quite a lot) I try and keep my tyres at 36PSI-38PSI when up to operating temperature. I am getting fantastic mileage using this method but most important to me is the Grip and my Rosso Corsa 11 love to be hot and sticky. I am trying to perfect testing the temps by hand, if you get to recognise operating temperatures its a great skill to have. There is nothing more off putting and confidence crushing than when your awesome tyres slip on you while still cold! What was that ?? and I wasn't at much lean ? Sh1t are these tyres gonna let go on me. (if that happens it can ruin your ride experience) Get the right PSI to enable your tyres to heat up to temp which is hotter than you think and have a great safe ride.
Ed K and theresanothersteve like this.

Last edited by Rhino; 09-09-2019 at 05:37 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:26 AM
Knee Dragger

which TPMS system have you gone with?

Good info. Unfortunately, I can't use it because it doesn't affect my riding or the life of my equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Knee Dragger

the book calls for 36/36. I keep mine at 38/38 per my tire gauge(s) as the bike was delivered to me.

I got 5k off the first rear (with a good but left) but only 3700 on the replacement. I'll admit that I wasn't attentive keeping track of the pressure but when I checked the pressure upon replacement it was down to 35. Now the replacement tire was Diablo Roso III but it wasn't "Ducati Spec" if that might matter.

I'm going to be pretty attentive to stay with 38/38.

I am curious to the pressures that other use and how it affect wear.

John L
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:09 PM
Knee Dragger

depends on the riding. street, around 36r/34f, give or take. track, 30/30, give or take 2 psi. when I practiced parking lot stunts, around 10 psi rear and 25-28 front for wheelies, but when practicing stoppies I gave the rear more psi to protect the rim.
Ed K, Rhino and DucColin like this.

Last edited by 1uglybastard; 09-09-2019 at 12:13 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:13 PM
Knee Dragger

My thinking was what pressures give the best tire mileage / street handling. But I get your drift 1UB.

John L
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:54 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
My thinking was what pressures give the best tire mileage / street handling. But I get your drift 1UB.
for regular commuting, theoretically, the higher the psi, the faster it goes because it causes the contact point to be smaller. low pressure can put a strain on the inner side walls, though. I'm willing to bet anything in the 30's gives similar wear, but we'll probably never know because of all the variables.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post
which TPMS system have you gone with?

Good info. Unfortunately, I can't use it because it doesn't affect my riding or the life of my equipment.
I went for one sold by Shark Leathers in Australia. Cost about $100 Oz (What's that? About $1.36 US?).

I'm not going to trust the pressures it shows, that's why I have a good tyre pressure guage, but I'm interested in the pressure gains from ambient temperature and riding. I know from experience I get a pressure drop, particularly from the front, if I fill the tyres at 20C and it drops to 5C.

I can't find information about optimum operating temps for the Rosso IIIs, so judging from pressure gain is the next best thing.

The thirst for knowledge is never slated...
1uglybastard, Rhino and Miweber929 like this.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:13 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post
depends on the riding. street, around 36r/34f, give or take. track, 30/30, give or take 2 psi. when I practiced parking lot stunts, around 10 psi rear and 25-28 front for wheelies, but when practicing stoppies I gave the rear more psi to protect the rim.
My stunting record being fairly limited and ending with a pretty spectacular unintended 12 o clock crash (well, three oíclock I guess) on the highway 15 years ago, whatís the reason for such low rear pressure? Seems to me all thatíd do is make the bike unstable but clearly Iím missing something. Honest curious question.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2003 CCM R30 (project build)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 05:24 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino de Laurentiis View Post
My stunting record being fairly limited and ending with a pretty spectacular unintended 12 o clock crash (well, three o’clock I guess) on the highway 15 years ago, what’s the reason for such low rear pressure? Seems to me all that’d do is make the bike unstable but clearly I’m missing something. Honest curious question.
At slow speeds (parking lot), it makes it more stable. It lessens the side to side wobble. Higher speeds, it's the opposite.
Ed K and Dino de Laurentiis like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page