7Likes
  • 5 Post By theresanothersteve
  • 2 Post By Rhino

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
Thumbs up DOCSA run (again)

As regular 'readers' will know, I've had my front springs upgraded to 95's and front are rear suspensions serviced. As I don't know what oil, or grade, Hoey racing have used I won't talk about setting numbers as they are completely irrelevant now (although I will compare to @Rhino because he's gone down the same path).

I spent Thursday fine tuning the suspension after Hoeys did a static setup using the same methods as Dave Moss (when in Adelaide Dave Moss often runs suspensions workshops at Hoey's). A couple of tweaks and I was happy, average speed was up 7 kmh through my test track, so I reckon I had it fairly well right, nothing changed by more than 2 clicks.

Today was a DOCSA run, always a good way to see where things fit.

To start with I sat behind a lady on a Monster that I know from previous rides is pretty well sorted. If her bike stayed settled and mine became unsettled I knew I had a problem. But, no problem, she ended up waving me through.

I found I was riding without much effort, and maintaining pace. That's good.

Finding I was closing up on other bikes in corners. Fast. Very fast. Much faster than usual. That's good as well.

High speed sweepers I could take my left hand off the handlebars. No oscillations. That's very good.

Cue the maniacal laughter. This bike is so bloody good.

I'm using even more of the tyre without scrapping anything, so that's a win as well.

As an aside, I now leave about 28mm of front suspension travel available, although I the DOCSA run I did manage to bottom the forks. I'm now thinking about running a tad more compression damping for club runs.

If you think the SS(S) is good and you haven't sorted the suspension, get it sorted. You won't be able to thank @Rhino or myself for carrying on about suspension settings enough.
Ed K, Rhino, DucColin and 2 others like this.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...

Last edited by theresanothersteve; 03-09-2019 at 11:20 PM.
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:27 AM
SuperSport Master

Awesome mate sounds like it's going good. I had a great session today too very fast on my usual corners it just went realy good smooth and easy and I didn't touch pegs. Knee sliding yes but no pegs which is realy good at those speeds. Don't forget as your bike handles better and you go faster you are going to have to add a half turn of preload to the front and so on to match your pace. Now bring on the MotoGP
Ed K and theresanothersteve like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page