Suspension setup revisited - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
Suspension setup revisited

@LowRyter look away now...

It's been a couple of thousand Ks (actually 4,000) since I got my baseline setup so, having a few hours on hand, I decided to check everything was still OK.

Guess what? Damping was too fast. Rebound the fork and shocks started back down again. Only took a click slower on each to bring it back, although given our current temps it might need another when things warm up.

Just goes to show suspension oils do deteriorate over time...

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:50 AM
SuperSport Master

I must find the time to go through mine again too. It will be interesting to see if the sag has changed much. I have opted for the highest ride hight I can get at lean ( roads have unexpected bumps and negative camber around here) will report beck here when done.
NothingClever and Miweber929 like this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:50 AM
SuperSport Master

You guys have got me all kinds of motivated to get back to my bike in the next couple of months and dial in my suspension.

For providing positive influence and expertise in the forum, you guys are hitting bullseyes.

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:06 AM
Knee Dragger

So are you going to simply adjust the suspension or take it all apart and change the oil? BTW- Are you running Ohlins or the crappy stuff like me?
Rhino likes this.

John L
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
So are you going to simply adjust the suspension or take it all apart and change the oil? BTW- Are you running Ohlins or the crappy stuff like me?
Adjust the suspension so the damping is correct.

I'll think about changing the oil when it's done 10/ 15,000 kilometres, as per Dave Moss and Hoey's (local suspension guru) recommendations.

As we keep saying, doesn't matter what suspension you have, the oils will deteriorate over time. For the record (and I think you're trolling me) I've got Ohlins...
NothingClever and Miweber929 like this.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:13 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post
Adjust the suspension so the damping is correct.

I'll think about changing the oil when it's done 10/ 15,000 kilometres, as per Dave Moss and Hoey's (local suspension guru) recommendations.

As we keep saying, doesn't matter what suspension you have, the oils will deteriorate over time. For the record (and I think you're trolling me) I've got Ohlins...
Springs will also settle over time as well.

Agree with adjusting rather than tearing it apart. But when the fork $eal$ leak, then I'd recommend doing it.

trolling? now who called out who? Let's just have fun with it. I ain't afraid of being wrong.

John L

Last edited by LowRyter; 09-09-2019 at 07:18 PM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
Springs will also settle over time as well...
...But when the fork $eal$ leak, then I'd recommend doing it....
Agree with the springs having the potential to settle, the first thing I checked was sag, and that hasn't changed.

If the seals start leaking, it's a sign the suspension is overdue for a service. As I intend to follow the service schedule, it shouldn't be an issue.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:47 AM
Training Wheels

Garage
I wish I knew how to adjust the suspension itís still stock setting from when I bought the bike. Itís nice to have Ohlins and they feel nicer than my FZ07 suspension but I canít tell beyond that. Iím between 230 to 235 lbs., so I guess Iím heavier than what the suspension was made for apparently? I just donít know the difference unless someone who knows what they are doing adjust it or change oil and springs for me and I ride it one after the other.
Rhino and theresanothersteve like this.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:34 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamenRider_D View Post
I wish I knew how to adjust the suspension itís still stock setting from when I bought the bike. Itís nice to have Ohlins and they feel nicer than my FZ07 suspension but I canít tell beyond that. Iím between 230 to 235 lbs., so I guess Iím heavier than what the suspension was made for apparently? I just donít know the difference unless someone who knows what they are doing adjust it or change oil and springs for me and I ride it one after the other.
Hey mate, we all don't know anything until we learn. Do yourself a big favour and start dipping your toe in the water. Can I suggest you attempt to at least understand and set your sag it is the most important and the starting point. if you watch 3 or 4 YouTube videos, it doesn't matter which ones and get an understanding of what you need to do. It is quite easy. In a nutshell you want to set your bike up so that when you sit on it with your normal riding gear in your normal riding position, the bike sags to the correct position ie your suspension is sitting in the optimal position to do its job. Not too high and not too low and the bike is level with the front end not dipped with the rear end high. I wont go into the affects of running too high or too low etc , I will just say we can all agree that if your suspension is sitting in the position it was designed to then your motorbike is going to ride as it was designed to. There are a lot of people on this forum who would help you set it up if you wanted.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamenRider_D View Post
I wish I knew how to adjust the suspension it’s still stock setting from when I bought the bike. It’s nice to have Ohlins and they feel nicer than my FZ07 suspension but I can’t tell beyond that. I’m between 230 to 235 lbs., so I guess I’m heavier than what the suspension was made for apparently? I just don’t know the difference unless someone who knows what they are doing adjust it or change oil and springs for me and I ride it one after the other.
Setting sag is easier a two person job. I recommend that buyers request that the dealer do that when the new owner sits on the bike while on shop stand. And before you start, make note of where the settings are in the first place. This is your baseline and if you feel you've made it worse, just go back to the original settings.

One way is to put zip ties on the fork and measure how much they slide when you sit on the bike. Try to set the static sag at about 1 1/4". The rear should be level to front and have about 1 in of sag. I'd guess your bike should accommodate your weight but I have a standard model. Make note of the number twists you make from where you started.

Once you set the sag, try methodically setting the rebound and dampening adjusters. Again note the original settings before you start the process. You might start from full soft and try each one separately to get the feel how each one affects ride and handling. Make increments about a quarter way through the adjustment range (0-25%-50%-75%-100%). That should be significant to feel the difference. I would ride the same test ride route for each change. Then work them both in tandem until you get a good feel what's that it's right for you.

If it all feels wrong, just set it back to the original settings.
KamenRider_D likes this.

John L

Last edited by LowRyter; 09-10-2019 at 11:30 AM.