What's your lever brake adjustment? - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

What's your lever brake adjustment?

Hi,

I'd like to know how do you fit your lever brake.
For the front, there is 8 positions. The 1st is close to the handle bar, so the 8th is farest.
For myself, I have the habit to be average at the 4th/5th step. The distance between the lever and the handlebar is enough for my hand and the brake power.
When I brought the bike for the 15000kms overhaul, the chief felt that the front brake needed to be bleed. To my mind, brakes were efficient.
But, when I recuparated it, it was worst than before and I had to remove the lever at 6th position to improve because if I stay on the 4th position the lever finish too close to the handle bar (just one finger between both)
If I push it several time it's quite better. Normally it's signifies that the bleed wasn't done good... The chief told me that is normal to put the lever far from the handlebar to have a good performance.
I'm quite pissed because he's not going to learn me how to brake! I always drive fast so I know how to do...

He equally changed the rear position tolding me that it was completely out of whack from the origin position. I use softly the rear brake and only when I really need it so in order to avoid to block it I put it quite low. The chief puted it high and I had at to modify it. I was always braking.

So what are your adjustments in order to know if I'm really stupid with mines?

Last edited by matt7tb4; 02-11-2020 at 03:01 PM.
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:09 PM
Training Wheels

I happen to have shorter fingers, so I have always set my brake lever as follows:

I set it so it is as close as possible while still allowing me to fully brake with my first two fingers without crushing my hand so I can still use the throttle freely while trail braking.

Hope that makes sense.
Paddlefoot64 and matt7tb4 like this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:12 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
I use ASV shorty lever instead of stock, but I’ve moved lever closer to handlebar, just making sure it is not touching the bar at maximum braking (leave room for possible fade, if brakes are hot). Works for me, but may not for everyone.
matt7tb4 likes this.

Mike

1976 BMW R1000 Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
2002 C4S 996

Last edited by Paddlefoot64; 02-11-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 03:15 PM
Training Wheels

By the way- it sounds like you know what you are talking about & the tech should be setting it up how you want; not how he thinks it should be.

And yes- if you have to pump your front once or twice to stiffen it up, then typically it isn't set up best.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 04:27 PM
Knee Dragger

Garage
If you have to pump the lever to bring it up to pressure there is air in the system and it needs bleeding or the brake fluid replacing. The mechanic stuffed it up.

If the system has no air in it, even with the lever set at its closest to the grip, it should be able to get maximum pressure without touching.

Lever adjustment is not to compensate for excess travel due to air, it's meant to compensate for different length fingers. When you hold the grip the top knuckles on your braking fingers should be on top, so it is a case of squeezing the lever rather than rolling your fingers over the lever to be able to pull.
matt7tb4 likes this.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 04:45 PM
SuperSport Master

Agree with Steve. If the mechanic bled the system it should more pressure, not less.
matt7tb4 likes this.

John L

Ducs quack at midnight and 9am
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 04:40 AM
SuperSport Master

+2 on what Steve says.
matt7tb4 likes this.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 05:06 AM
SuperSport Master

The chief ( as you call him) is talking ****! From what you have said he has not bled the brakes correctly. You need to take it back and get him to re do it so they operate correctly. I had a similar situation where I had no rear brake at all when I rode off. I turned around and went back. The Tec said Oh these Ducati are like this they do not have good rear brakes. Idiot !! It was fine before he touched it. I took the bike and fixed it myself. You know. How your bike operates dont take any bulsh1t from a tec if you know he is is pulling the wool over your eyes.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 08:45 AM
Knee Dragger

Garage
Ditto on learning how to do it yourself. Even in the medical field, I say trust, but VERIFY!
matt7tb4 likes this.

Mike

1976 BMW R1000 Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
2002 C4S 996
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 11:58 AM
Training Wheels

Garage
I had a similar situation as the OP. I had adjusted my front levers to optimally match the reach of my fingers (maybe 2 clicks), brakes were fantastic going into my first annual service. Unfortunately the dealer mistakenly did an unnecessary brake flush, and to make matters worse they put semi-synthentic oil in my bike, but I digress. While riding home I noticed I couldn't fully engage the brake without the lever just brushing my fingers . The brakes were spongy with increased travel to fully engage. Took my bike back to get it resolved and the mechanic (Certified Master Mechanic I might add) said the problem was due to me adjusting the brake lever to fit my reach (huh, seriously?), but still he would try to get any possible air out via the bleeder on top of the master cylinder assembly. When he was done he didn't think any air was pushed out and adjusted the brake lever back out. The brakes worked fine as I left the shop while scratching my head. I've since re-adjusted the levers without issues.

The lesson I seem to re-learn ever so often... never, ever, trust the service department knows what they are doing. But "hope springs eternal"... and they were so nice to me when I met them. You need to become knowledgeable (i.e. use this forum) and review/challenge everything they want to do to your bike. I know there are good dealers/mechanics out there, I've met some, but there are some seriously foolish people with wacky ideas working on our bikes that pass themselves off as experts. Unlike autos, being a motorcycle dealer is a very tough business. There is a lot of pressure from manufacturers to conform to their business model that drive up risks and costs. Flat to decreasing unit sales drives dealer consolidation which leads to less competition, poorer quality, and higher prices. I suspect it'll only get worse given the increasing complexity of motorcycles and the equipment required to service them, as well as manufacturers driving customers to dealers for service in an effort to keep them alive. I understand their pain and want to support my dealer, but it's hard when you have this nonsense to deal with. Bottom-line, if you were a great mechanic, is this the industry you'd want to work in?
Rhino and matt7tb4 like this.

2017 Ducati Supersport S
1997 Ducati 748 Monoposto
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200
2001 HD Road King Classic

Last edited by brucemswan; 02-12-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page