2 Weeks on the road. - Page 2 - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 04:46 PM
Dox
Training Wheels

Sounds like an awesome trip, and like others have said, you're very lucky to both enjoy riding. I'd love to tour with my partner, but she's dead against bikes...her granddad lost his life as a pillion so it's understandable.

Great pictures, you've been through some lovely scenic country by the look of it. And I love that your bikes appear identical.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 09:10 PM
Chicken Strips

Garage
I use a magnetic Cortech tank bag. I have placed the 3M clear on my tank where it fits. I believe this will prevent damage. Application by me is lacking as it has many air bubbles in there. Ill probably remove until next trip.

Mike

1976 BMW R1000 Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnelson View Post
Did I notice Angel GT tires on the back of one SS? I wish my wife would ride an SS. She stays home and worries when I ride. I rode up to Montana in August from Las Vegas. It is great to ride out West. I am riding to Big Bend, TX in October to meet up with some Houston Ducati club members.
Yes, Angel GTs all around on both bike since the OEM tires wore out. We really like this tire and have been using the Angels since the ST version came out in 2009, having ridden over 100,000 aggregate miles on this tire.

I am indeed fortunate that my lovely wife rides her own bike. We have been on 2 week rides almost every year since 2004.

Mark Craige
Tulsa OK
'17 SuperSport S, Akra Slip-ons, touring w/s, hard bags, etc.
'12 Multistrada 1200S Touring, full Termi., (sold)
'10 848 Hayden SE, full Termi. (sold)
04 ST4s, full Termi., PCIII (sold)
'04 BMW R1100SA BCR, Staintune, Ohlins

Last edited by macraige; 09-29-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapete View Post
While I am not a fan of the tail bag I am interested in more infos regarding the tank bag. I use the kriega sytem on all my bikes but found the sidestraps not ideal for the combination tank form and fairing on the SS.
Did you encounter any issues regarding scratching/abrasion for your dp tank bag? Any other down sides? Frankly speaking I never used megnetic bags before.
No issues with magnetic bags. I put a heavy coat of paste wax on the tank and take care to keep the magnetic tabs clean. I may try the clear film for extra protection.

Mark Craige
Tulsa OK
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 11:32 PM
Chicken Strips

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macraige View Post
First set of pics.
What a great trip! Awesome pics...but pic 6 is upside down. I wonder if our mates in Oz see it right side up?!?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 02:40 AM
Knee Dragger

Gorgeous pics. What route is that between the rock structures? (2nd to last pic in the first set)

I'm gonna take this bike on a long trip eventually. Probably the same region you guys were in. Or maybe Nova Scotia.
Paddlefoot64 likes this.

Last edited by 1uglybastard; 09-30-2019 at 02:43 AM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post
Gorgeous pics. What route is that between the rock structures? (2nd to last pic in the first set)

I'm gonna take this bike on a long trip eventually. Probably the same region you guys were in. Or maybe Nova Scotia.
The road through the rock walls is Long Canyon on the Burr Trail Road. Long Canyon is a 7 mile long paved road with rock walls on both sides that are probably 150-200 feet tall. The paved section of Burr Trail ends about 31 miles from Boulder and thereafter its about 36 miles of gravel/dirt road before you get back on pavement. We have driven the unpaved section in a Jeep and it is decent but has a lot of washboard and some deep sand, the SuperSport would probably make it when dry, but I dont think it would be much fun. I suggest turning around at the end of the pavement, then stopping for lunch at the Burr Trail Grill or the Hells Backbone Grill, both of which are in the small town of Boulder and offer excellent food. If you time it in your route to stop in Boulder, the Boulder Mountain Lodge is very nice, but you need to make reservations well in advance. We have stayed in Boulder several times, so let me know if you have additional questions.
1uglybastard likes this.

Mark Craige
Tulsa OK

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page