Dropped my Ducati off at the shop post collision. - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dropped my Ducati off at the shop post collision.

Sad that the two top posts on this sub-forum are crash related, but that's where we are.

I was involved in a two motorcycle collision where I was struck while nearly stopped in the rear passenger peg by a bike going probably somewhere between 10 to 20 mph (16 to 32km/h). Thankfully it appears we're just both sore, and there are no serious injuries!

The Ducati didn't slide forward much, but it fell really hard on to its right hand side. It is looking pretty sad

I think it needs the following:
  • Clutch Cover
  • Both exhaust tip covers
  • either the front axle and/or right fork leg, depending on what's gouged
  • All right hand fairings
  • Nose cowling
  • RH Handle bar + weight
  • RH Passenger peg
  • RH Footpeg
  • Rear Brake lever and connecting rod
  • RH Rear turn signal
  • Radiator protecting plastic
  • Seat
  • Radiator if the sheared bolts can't be removed from it

There's probably more.

So I'm thinking it's close to written off, which means that I'm going to be stuck with picking a course of action.

I love my SuperSport, so do I take the payout and buy another?

Or upgrade to an SSS? Do I act on it now, and get a 2019? Or wait for a 2020 with potential TFT and cruise and stick with my slow (and race prepped KTM)?

There's a part of me that wouldn't mind getting mine fixed so I don't have to make another decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3987 copy.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	37204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3988 copy.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	37206   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3989 copy.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	37208  

My garage:
2008 Ford Expedition MAX
2011 Honda CBR250R
2017 Ducati SuperSport
2017 KTM RC 390
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

@brianbotts Oh man, glad you're ok! The SS really does look sad. Insurance in the process of evaluating?

How did it happen?
Oldrider likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
We've talked about it non-stop since. The root cause seems to be simple following too close, and probably looking 12 seconds up the road, when the danger was me, and only 2 seconds up the road.

Mistakes happen, and collisions will occur, the key is preventing fatalities and serious injuries. The rider behind me managed to slow down to a point where I wasn't seriously injured, at 35+ I'd probably be missing a foot right now. It was a good wake up call about the risks that can happen from getting complacent and dropping following distances too much.

Dainese's level 2 armour in their leather jackets absorbed all the impact to my upper body, I wasn't sore despite my elbow taking my whole weight and the bike's weight. I also think my Sidi's may have saved a fractured ankle.
gnelson, NothingClever and Dox like this.

My garage:
2008 Ford Expedition MAX
2011 Honda CBR250R
2017 Ducati SuperSport
2017 KTM RC 390
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:14 AM

Hey, Brian.

First, glad you’re OK. That’s the most important thing.

Sounds like the lad that hit you is at fault if he struck you from the rear left.

In a perfect world, the bike is repairable so you experience the least amount of ripple in your life.

In the next-to-perfect world, you take the payout and are able to scoop up GhettoWagon’s bike....that would be a total victory, IMO. You get the ÷hlins you want at a great price that your insurance will (probably) cover.

In the next-to-next-to-perfect world, you get a brand new SSS you’re dreaming of.

I wouldn’t wait on 2020.

Glad you’re OK and healthy enough to devote attention to the next bike rather than major surgery and extensive physical therapy.

So, lemme get this straight.

I twist this little tube, it gets loud, I go forward really fast and it makes me smile...is that how it all works?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear right actually, somehow I fell to the side I got hit on. It was the fault of the rider behind me, so it's her insurance that pays.

I think I'm still entitled to replacement value (since it's under 2 years), so I could grab a new SSS if it gets written off. That said, Ghetto Waggon's bike looks awesome and comes with the wicked exhaust.

I'm not sure what I'd need to do to get it (the Canada unique) daytime running lights though.
JaggerCat, djcmx49 and Oldrider like this.

My garage:
2008 Ford Expedition MAX
2011 Honda CBR250R
2017 Ducati SuperSport
2017 KTM RC 390
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:26 AM

Garage
Bugger.

Glad you're relatively OK.

Glad you also are still thinking SuperSport.

If you go SuperSport S you'll be in a position to compare the Mazocchi/ Sachs boingers with the Ohlins.
brianbotts likes this.

She's not an Italian supermodel; they're high maintenance.
She's the cute Italian girl from school you wish you kept in contact with...
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:22 AM

Garage
Yikes !! Sorry to hear you got into a spill. Glad your OK, for the most part that is, it could have been worse. I'm sure you'll be sore for a while though. Interesting choices to ponder once Insurance company decides the SS's fate... Hope you get back on an SS soon enough...
brianbotts likes this.

Don C.
Sunshine and my ride is all I need...
2018 Ducati Supersport S, "Solana"
2017 Ducati Supersport S, "Annabella"
2006 Honda CBR600RR, "Red-Rocket"
1990 Honda VFR400 , "Baby V"
and a dozen more previously owned bikes
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:03 AM

Glad you both walked away from that.
Amazing how banged up the bike looks from what seems a rather low speed crash. Most damage looks to be from bike falling on the side rather than impact with other bike.

You still have most of the season in front of you. Would be a shame to be without the SS(S). I would very likely not wait til next year. Do we at all know if the 2020 model will have the updated dash and cruise control?

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:15 AM

Sorry to hear, glad youíre ok.

Iím honestly not sure youíll hit the totaled mark but it may get close. The majority of the broken bits are cosmetic, itíd be a prime candidate for repair by a shop or yourself if you wanted that one back.

Personally, Iíd grab a good used SSS or buy a leftover rather than waiting since the riding season just started nd is fairly short for us northerners. Just a heads up, the US bikes have daytime running lights so thatís not an issue if you decide to come down for one.
brianbotts likes this.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
- 2004 Yamaha WR450F (for sale)
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:05 AM

glad you're OK. Insurance companies are generally predisposed to total a bike. Obviously you will eat some depreciation (and deductible) when settling and buying a new bike.

And we can all learn to be careful who we ride with.

Best of luck. If the insurance company tries to shaft you, I'd bet there are folks on the board that can provide good advice.
brianbotts likes this.

John L

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page