Engine Management Light - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Engine Management Light

Has anyone else had issues with the engine management light coming on?
The first time it happened to me I was in Germany. I had just set off when I stalled the bike at a set of lights. (The clutch is quite snatchy when it is cold and it is easy to stall the engine if I'm not careful. This seems to go hand in hand with the clutch drag when cold.).
When I re-started the motor I noticed that the engine management (MIL) light was on. It remained on all the time until we stopped to fill up, about 200kms on. Fortunately the bike behaved normally with no ill effects.
A week later when I was back home it came on again under the same circumstances, I stalled the bike with a cold engine. I did notice this time that the engine management light came on immediately the engine stopped. Over the next couple of miles I tried shutting off and restarting several times but the light stayed on, again with no effect on performance. Thirty miles up the road we stopped at a set of lights and I tried shutting off and re-starting again. This time the light went out.
Last week I managed to do it again. Restarting didn't clear the light. I tried again a couple of miles on with no joy. 12 miles later I tried again and it cleared.
The problem appears to be temperature related and a number of on/off cycles doesn't clear it. I had thought that perhaps the butterfly valve might be sticking open but I can hear the servo motor operating and see the cable flex as it does, so I think maybe not.
It doesn't affect the bike as far as I can tell but annoys the **** out of me. And unlike many other models, the SS doesn't give you any error codes on the dash that could provide a clue to what the fault is. I'll get the dealer to check it next week when I get the heated grips fitted.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 01:26 PM

Sounds very similar to mine. The exhaust butterfly valve wasn't sticking but the motor had problem detecting the position of the valve and so threw an error code and the MIL came on. Scary at first. But there was nothing wrong with its operation or the running of the bike. They replaced the motor to the exhaust valve and the problem disappeared. There should be a diagnostic error code in the ECU. Hope it's nothing more than something like this. Good luck.

Z
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Havenít had this issue. I always fully warm bike before riding, not sure if that helps. I do notice a little grabiness in the clutch from the first start.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I've thrown a generic warning light, but not the one you describe here. Mine subsequently went away on its own, BTW, with no code being thrown in the computer. Keep us posted on tbe outcome, please.

~David~

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 08:07 AM

I might have the same issue. It started over the first few months with a couple of events. Leaving a stop a delayed throttle response (clutch out fully) followed by a stall. Then I had the exact thing happen last week twice in row followed by an engine light. Took it home and let it sit for a few days before starting and the light is gone. I have a total of only 650km on the bike. I'm bringing it in this week to have it checked out.
Ed K likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 11:48 PM

Mines going back to the dealer today for the second time now. They changed the oil last time and it was fine for about 1k miles now it's worse than before.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by its me View Post
Mines going back to the dealer today for the second time now. They changed the oil last time and it was fine for about 1k miles now it's worse than before.
The Engine Mgmt Light?

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by its me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
The Engine Mgmt Light?
Yeah, the light? Or is there something else? What's the problem? I forgot.

~David~

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 10:00 AM

My MIL light switched on this spring, just after resumig the bike from the winter stop.
It was due to the exhaust valve and I had it fixed up by the dealer without replacing anything under warranty, idk what he did but it solved.
Most of the causes are actually harmless for the riding, even if itís better to see a mech asap, anyway, Is there a way to visualize an error code, and possibly translate it, by myself?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 04:01 PM

And today it lighten up again..grrr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page