Fuel Efficiency/Mileage - Page 13 - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 106Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 08:52 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoslws View Post
On the monster 1200 diagram it has it connected as a reserve switch to the black box not to the dash light. That's why I thought maybe it informs the ecu's via canbus to turn back the throttle response to preserve fuel.
Like I said, I'm wondering if any 2019 guys can chime in here and let us know because the newer pump has that device on the pump.
The Monster and SS each have a different dash. The Monster possibly requires the extra sensor to turn on the low fuel warning light but the SS does it by software from the detected fuel level.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
post #122 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 02:33 PM
Chicken Strips

I'm going to have to say. I have been having issues with my fuel level sending unit. If they tied performance to it they would have to address that and according to other members Ducati is ignoring falty fuel senders.

Skywurz

2017 Supersport
2008 1098
post #123 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 03:36 PM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywurz View Post
I'm going to have to say. I have been having issues with my fuel level sending unit. If they tied performance to it they would have to address that and according to other members Ducati is ignoring falty fuel senders.
I bought a second fuel level sensor and opened it up to investigate. My view is that the slider doesn't get stuck. I do believe there's a bug in the programme. Some or other simultaneous action causes the dash and canbus to throw a wobbly. It has only happened to me if I stop for petrol with the bike in gear, fill it up, then turn the key on whilst still in gear. It's happened to me three or so times and each time the 1st gear was engaged.
It might be pure coincidence but the canbus could be programmed to acknowledge both signals as a priority signal but doesn't know which one is more priority so it throws a wobbly.

Others have reported I'm wrong, but to me the coincidence is too strong to ignore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
I bought a second fuel level sensor and opened it up to investigate. My view is that the slider doesn't get stuck. I do believe there's a bug in the programme. Some or other simultaneous action causes the dash and canbus to throw a wobbly. It has only happened to me if I stop for petrol with the bike in gear, fill it up, then turn the key on whilst still in gear. It's happened to me three or so times and each time the 1st gear was engaged.
It might be pure coincidence but the canbus could be programmed to acknowledge both signals as a priority signal but doesn't know which one is more priority so it throws a wobbly.

Others have reported I'm wrong, but to me the coincidence is too strong to ignore.
This is quite possible. I did not start having this issue until i passed the service miles countdown. when i key on the bike it shows my fuel level but after it flashes some warnings the fuel drops to 0 and it starts the flashing. Then it comes back under certain conditions like when the display forces over to the bike temp when its getting warm.

Skywurz

2017 Supersport
2008 1098
post #125 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:40 PM
Chicken Strips

Ok I have decided that this is a reserve indicator for bikes without full range fuel indicator or sending units. They probably wanted to shrink the parts bin so the 2019 SS got it because the v4 and v2 use it.
Miweber929 likes this.

Skywurz

2017 Supersport
2008 1098
post #126 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 01:49 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywurz View Post
Ok I have decided that this is a reserve indicator for bikes without full range fuel indicator or sending units. They probably wanted to shrink the parts bin so the 2019 SS got it because the v4 and v2 use it.
Not being one for talking in loops but the ducati salesman told me the V4's performance changes once the reserve light is on.
I think it is only the flange that changes but the rsst of the pump is the same throughout many of the models lately.

Last edited by amoslws; 11-20-2019 at 02:15 AM.
post #127 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 08:49 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Not being one for talking in loops but the ducati salesman told me the V4's performance changes once the reserve light is on.
I think it is only the flange that changes but the rsst of the pump is the same throughout many of the models lately.
Thinking out loud here but if that’s the case, and I’m not exactly sure why they would do that because track people chasing every last ounce of weight will run a tank very low and have the low fuel light in a lot, why wouldn’t it simply be a change in mapping of the ECU when the low level is hit and instead a “physical” piece attached to the pump? And what exactly would that piece accomplish?

I’ve not studied the wiring diagrams or parts fiches so I’m just speculating but it just seems like it would be so easy to do in software, why would they bother with a physical item or add on piece.

I’m wondering if it’s not something to respond to all the bum fuel gauges and just an “updated” part.

Mike

- 2017 Ducati Supersport S
- 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
- 2010 Yamaha WR250R
post #128 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 09:14 AM
SuperSport Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Thinking out loud here but if that’s the case, and I’m not exactly sure why they would do that because track people chasing every last ounce of weight will run a tank very low and have the low fuel light in a lot, why wouldn’t it simply be a change in mapping of the ECU when the low level is hit and instead a “physical” piece attached to the pump? And what exactly would that piece accomplish?

I’ve not studied the wiring diagrams or parts fiches so I’m just speculating but it just seems like it would be so easy to do in software, why would they bother with a physical item or add on piece.

I’m wondering if it’s not something to respond to all the bum fuel gauges and just an “updated” part.
We don't quite know how they do it.
That was my original question, what is that little capicitor looking thing for. In the wiring diagram it shows its a potentiometer of sorts and is connected to the Blackbox. The bikes main brain. Why the Blackbox? It cannot only be for the reserved fuel led to be triggered when there's already voltages across the fuel level sensor range being transmitted to the dash.
post #129 of 129 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 12:53 PM
Chicken Strips

But the v4 has no sending unit like the SS. That must be what they use to determine the level of fuel instead.

Skywurz

2017 Supersport
2008 1098

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page