18 k mi Desmo Service - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 30Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheels
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 262
Likes Received: 245
18 k mi Desmo Service

The dealer completed my 18,000 mi Desmo Service (coincided with my annual service) on Saturday, The save the spark plugs and air filter for me. The air filter was reasonable clean for 18 k mi. The spark plugs looked acceptable for 18 k mi and they indicated that the air fuel ratio was oaky and not too lean.

The dealer indicated 8.5 hr of labor was required and the cost was slightly less than $1600.

The dealership remarked that they had not done a Desmo service on a SuperSport prior to mine, and they were impressed with how little I used the brakes. I suspect most dealers have not completed a Desmo service on a SuperSport.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spark plug.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	37670  
Ed K and Oldrider like this.

gnelson is offline  
post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
 
Ed K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: America
Posts: 4,737
Likes Received: 2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnelson View Post
The dealer completed my 18,000 mi Desmo Service (coincided with my annual service) on Saturday, The save the spark plugs and air filter for me. The air filter was reasonable clean for 18 k mi. The spark plugs looked acceptable for 18 k mi and they indicated that the air fuel ratio was oaky and not too lean.

The dealer indicated 8.5 hr of labor was required and the cost was slightly less than $1600.

The dealership remarked that they had not done a Desmo service on a SuperSport prior to mine, and they were impressed with how little I used the brakes. I suspect most dealers have not completed a Desmo service on a SuperSport.
Thanks. Looks darker than I expected. However, 18K miles is a long way to go on standard plugs.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Ed K is offline  
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Knee Dragger
 
1uglybastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NOLA
Posts: 854
Likes Received: 674
That's about how much my dealer said it would cost for the valve service. I'm just gonna do it myself and install MBP collets to extend the service.
1uglybastard is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:16 PM
Elbow Dragger
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 1,075
Likes Received: 568
8.5 hours sounds like a lot.

I think my local tech said the book is 4.5 for the valve adjustment. Don't know what else but belts and plugs probably aren't a big addition amount of labor since the valve train is exposed. I am guessing the parts are another $150 + oil change?

John L

Last edited by LowRyter; 06-11-2019 at 04:22 PM.
LowRyter is online now  
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Knee Dragger
 
1uglybastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NOLA
Posts: 854
Likes Received: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
8.5 hours sounds like a lot.

I think my local tech said the book is 4.5 for the valve adjustment. Don't know what else but belts and plugs probably aren't a big addition amount of labor since the valve train is exposed. I am guessing the parts are another $150 + oil change?
Here were my costs when I did it on my Monster. Prices will probably be similar for the SS:
Oil and filter ~ $45
Tool rental from Ducatitoolrental.com - $80 - $100
Shims - $9 each from tool rental
2 Belts ~ $95 from ca-cycleworks
Spark Plugs ~ $30
K&N air filter is around $76, but you only have to buy it once.
misc gaskets and O-rings ~ $40

On the low end, I'd only spend around $180 because the belts and gaskets were still good to go and all I needed were shims and and oil change. On the high end, around $400 when replacing more stuff.
1uglybastard is online now  
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:56 PM
Elbow Dragger
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 1,075
Likes Received: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post
Here were my costs when I did it on my Monster. Prices will probably be similar for the SS:
Oil and filter ~ $45
Tool rental from Ducatitoolrental.com - $80 - $100
Shims - $9 each from tool rental
2 Belts ~ $95 from ca-cycleworks
Spark Plugs ~ $30
K&N air filter is around $76, but you only have to buy it once.
misc gaskets and O-rings ~ $40

On the low end, I'd only spend around $180 because the belts and gaskets were still good to go and all I needed were shims and and oil change. On the high end, around $400 when replacing more stuff.
OK, when mine's due, I'll ride down to the Easy after we get it done and I'll buy dinner at the Acme Oyster Bar.

yippie tie one on




Really great overview with your references. Thanks for your instructions.
Paddlefoot64 likes this.

John L

Last edited by LowRyter; 06-11-2019 at 09:21 PM.
LowRyter is online now  
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:52 PM
Chicken Strips
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Lower Alabama (LA) USA
Posts: 447
Likes Received: 321
Garage
Ditto here. Im only 2 fast hours away from NOLA!

Mike

1976 BMW R1000 Cafe
2012 Triumph Thruxton Custom
2018 Ducati SSS (red!)
Paddlefoot64 is online now  
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:44 AM
Chicken Strips
 
Dino de Laurentiis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 439
Likes Received: 400
What kind of special tools are necessary to do the valve service and change the belts?

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2003 CCM R30 (project build)
Dino de Laurentiis is offline  
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:01 AM
Dox
Training Wheels
 
Dox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 279
Likes Received: 441
$1600 seems high - fixed price servicing at my local dealer works out about $700 at current xrate all inclusive for the annual service plus valve service.

https://www.dmcmoto.co.uk/ducati-ser...an-n411821.php
Dox is offline  
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:20 AM
Knee Dragger
 
1uglybastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NOLA
Posts: 854
Likes Received: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddlefoot64 View Post
Ditto here. I’m only 2 fast hours away from NOLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
OK, when mine's due, I'll ride down to the Easy after we get it done and I'll buy dinner at the Acme Oyster Bar.

yippie tie one on

Really great overview with your references. Thanks for your instructions.
Honestly, I'd take you up on that, but until I've done it on my SS, I'd rather not pop my cherry on someone else's. It's the fairings that I find most intimidating because I want them back on perfectly, no broken tabs or mismatching gaps, etc.
Paddlefoot64 likes this.
1uglybastard is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome