Exhaust Flap Mechanism Maintenance - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Exhaust Flap Mechanism Maintenance

Stock exhaust, flap mechanism maintenance...

As has been discussed on the Forum, if the cable and/or exhaust flap valve freezes, it will generate an error on the dash. It happens sometimes, probably more frequently for bikes ridden in the rain often.

I’ve just examined mine and the cable moves freely and the flap mechanism freely rotates, but there was some mud in there around parts of the valve that I cleaned out.

This assembly can be accessed easily by removing a small cover secured by three screws.

Anyone else doing this work on a preventative basis, especially as many of us who purchased the bike are now out of warranty?

Are you using any lube on the valve and/or cable? What type?

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:40 AM
Elbow Dragger

No need. I've a Termi fitted with the upmap. But if I still had the OEM exhaust I'd remove the cable and replace the motor with a servo eliminator. The valve defaults to the open position so maintenance no longer necessary
Ed K likes this.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:33 AM
Elbow Dragger

I've read conflicting info regarding this external exhaust valve. In most applications it's meant to add back pressure to enhance torque at lower rpms. But I've also read that it's strictly for sound volume and has no influence towards performance.
Ed K likes this.

John L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:53 AM
wig
Training Wheels

Garage
I'd be curious if it has a performance implication. On most car servo exhausts, it's purely for sound. But there you usually have long pipes so a little additional back pressure has little implication. With our exhaust so close to the cylinder - who knows! If anyone is maintaining their's please post pics too.
Ed K likes this.

Dozens of bikes: $$$$
Look on neighbors' faces: Priceless
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 11:09 AM
Chicken Strips

When the MIL light came on at the start of this season, I lubed the wire with some PTFE spray/grease. No issues since. There was no crud on the mechanism itself but I did rotate it a bit back and forth, to make sure it moved freely. Possibly it was slightly stuck at first but not a large degree if so.

Has anyone ever had the valve get stuck completely?
Ed K likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2003 CCM R30 (project build)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 11:10 AM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by wig View Post
I'd be curious if it has a performance implication. On most car servo exhausts, it's purely for sound. But there you usually have long pipes so a little additional back pressure has little implication. With our exhaust so close to the cylinder - who knows! If anyone is maintaining their's please post pics too.
Hard to say but if it really had a noticeable performance effect, chances are that you’d see more valves like that in motorcycle racing, or in aftermarket systems. The fact that that’s not happening makes me think it’s stricly noise related.
Ed K likes this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yeah, if it breaks, will replace with a servo eliminator. But it only take a few minutes to maintain, so prolly less time than replacing with eliminator.

Also agree, it’s just for sound compliance regulations...no perf impact. The stock exhaust is amazingly efficient.

I just quickly cleaned the flap mechanism and cable, but will go back in to lube it, and will take pics next time. Very simple job. Remove three screws, pop the cover, clean and lube, replace lid and screws. (Careful with the screws.)

I also took the opportunity to buff the cover with Autosol metal polish to get rid of dirt, tar and other accumulated marks and crap on the cover. Looks like new now after two years of year round use.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:16 PM
Training Wheels

Usually most reasons they get stuck is when there is moisture causing corrosion and seizing. Just allow the exhaust system to dry up after washing or complete avoid getting water in the exhaust system at all.
Also allow longer trips so moisture does not build up in the exhaust from warming up the engine.
Lubricating will be almost useless as the exhaust will get so hot that any lubricant will burn off.
Also use full throttle more often to allow the flap to be opened up. The best way to keep corrosion and seizing is to use it.
Ed K likes this.

2018 Ducati Supersport
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 11:46 PM
Chicken Strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonss View Post
Usually most reasons they get stuck is when there is moisture causing corrosion and seizing. Just allow the exhaust system to dry up after washing or complete avoid getting water in the exhaust system at all.
Also allow longer trips so moisture does not build up in the exhaust from warming up the engine.
Lubricating will be almost useless as the exhaust will get so hot that any lubricant will burn off.
Also use full throttle more often to allow the flap to be opened up. The best way to keep corrosion and seizing is to use it.
Re: lubing, would agree for the mechanism on the exhaust but there’s definitely a point to lubing the wire from time to time.
Ed K and Jippo like this.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 03:36 AM
Training Wheels

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino de Laurentiis View Post
Re: lubing, would agree for the mechanism on the exhaust but there’s definitely a point to lubing the wire from time to time.
I have found the sane. Valve is bit the problem, but the cable leasing to it from the servo. I have had the cable seized twice in a years time.

Now I finally cured it permanently with Healtech servo eliminator. I had the cel light on for the first ride, but it hasn't come back after after a few restarts. Seems to work well. Servo is now off the bike, exhaust will be when the Termi gets hete Next week.

Klag nicht, Kämpft!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page