Oil temp sensor fault? - Ducati Supersport 939 Forum
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips
 
revoconner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Calcutta, India
Posts: 373
Likes Received: 294
Garage
Oil temp sensor fault?

So I was riding normally when I see the oil flashing "high" and then "low". As I take out my phone to record it goes from 80s to 60s range and keeps on fluctuating. It only happens when the engine is running.

Also the service warning is on, because the dudes at service center forgot to reset it after the annual service.

Warning: Video contains NSFW language





Buy Supersport wall poster here:Buy Prints

Paypal: Donate Here if my designs made your day.

revoconner is offline  
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
 
Ed K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: America
Posts: 4,879
Likes Received: 2471
In the recording it looks normal, so I guess it jumped from 80s to 60s right before the vid(?)...

What were the conditions that it occurred?

Had you been riding for a while, or just started your ride?

Ambient temp?

Ever happened before?

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Ed K is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:29 PM
Elbow Dragger
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 1,255
Likes Received: 631
I believe that was water temp, not oil temp. Mine will default to the screen when it hits 212f. Otherwise I toggle it.

book says:

Engine Coolant temperature
The instrument panel receives information about the
engine temperature (already calculated in C) and
displays the value in the set unit of measurement (C
or F), followed by the unit of measurement and the
engine temperature symbol.
The temperature display range goes from 40 C to
+120 C (+104 F +248 F).


If reading is:
- <= (lower than or equal to) -40 C (-40 F), a string
of flashing dashes " - - - " is displayed;
- within the range -39 C (-38 F) to +39 C
(+102 F), "LO" is displayed steadily;
- within the range +40 C (+104 F) to +120 C
(+248 F), the value is displayed steadily;
- >= (higher than or equal to) +121 C (+250 F),
"HI" is displayed flashing.

If the coolant temperature sensor is in fault, a string of
flashing dashes "- - -" is displayed with the set unit of
measurement.

If the instrument panel is not receiving coolant
temperature value, a string of steady dashes "- - -" is
displayed, followed by the unit of measurement
Ed K likes this.

John L
LowRyter is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips
 
revoconner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Calcutta, India
Posts: 373
Likes Received: 294
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
In the recording it looks normal, so I guess it jumped from 80s to 60s right before the vid(?)...

What were the conditions that it occurred?

Had you been riding for a while, or just started your ride?

Ambient temp?

Ever happened before?
I was just riding normally, in the town. I had been riding for about 10 minutes. Yes the temp was massively varrying before recording, from flashing high to low to 40s to 80s.


Update: Now its just flashing 4 dashes!




Buy Supersport wall poster here:Buy Prints

Paypal: Donate Here if my designs made your day.

revoconner is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips
 
revoconner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Calcutta, India
Posts: 373
Likes Received: 294
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowRyter View Post
I believe that was water temp, not oil temp. Mine will default to the screen when it hits 212f. Otherwise I toggle it.

book says:

Engine Coolant temperature
The instrument panel receives information about the
engine temperature (already calculated in C) and
displays the value in the set unit of measurement (C
or F), followed by the unit of measurement and the
engine temperature symbol.
The temperature display range goes from 40 C to
+120 C (+104 F +248 F).


If reading is:
- <= (lower than or equal to) -40 C (-40 F), a string
of flashing dashes " - - - " is displayed;
- within the range -39 C (-38 F) to +39 C
(+102 F), "LO" is displayed steadily;
- within the range +40 C (+104 F) to +120 C
(+248 F), the value is displayed steadily;
- >= (higher than or equal to) +121 C (+250 F),
"HI" is displayed flashing.

If the coolant temperature sensor is in fault, a string of
flashing dashes "- - -" is displayed with the set unit of
measurement.

If the instrument panel is not receiving coolant
temperature value, a string of steady dashes "- - -" is
displayed, followed by the unit of measurement
And it started flashing dashes later in the day




Buy Supersport wall poster here:Buy Prints

Paypal: Donate Here if my designs made your day.

revoconner is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
 
Ed K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: America
Posts: 4,879
Likes Received: 2471
Ugh, sorry man...I feel your pain. Coolant and oil levels are normal?

Btw, was the Service indicator on before service, and they forgot, or did it come on after service?

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Ed K is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strips
 
revoconner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Calcutta, India
Posts: 373
Likes Received: 294
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
Ugh, sorry man...I feel your pain. Coolant and oil levels are normal?

Btw, was the Service indicator on before service, and they forgot, or did it come on after service?
Yeah everything seems normal, the bike isnt heating or anything either. Its probably just the sensor.
As for the indicator, I had the service done a month earlier than a year and a few days after the service it started indicating and counting down. Its been 30 days since then and the service indicator is always on the screen. I will have to go down some day and get it reset and also get the radiator guard put on that they forgot to put on after the service. Kinda sucks, who knows how long will they take to repair this.




Buy Supersport wall poster here:Buy Prints

Paypal: Donate Here if my designs made your day.

revoconner is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
 
Ed K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: America
Posts: 4,879
Likes Received: 2471
Yes, unfortunately they can’t turn the indicator off before the anniversary date...

We’re all hoping the sensor is a quick fix.

2017 Ducati SuperSport S
2015 Ducati Scrambler
Ed K is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:18 PM
Elbow Dragger
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Edmond OK
Posts: 1,255
Likes Received: 631
Perhaps they could order the sensor and install it after it comes in?

It's a real shame that you don't have another service provider since this one has done such a poor job. If I didn't have an independent guy that I knew, I probably wouldn't have gotten a Duc. He tells me the local dealer hires service guys out of training for $12 an hour compared to the Harley stores pays $35.
revoconner likes this.

John L
LowRyter is online now  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 05:19 AM
Elbow Dragger
 
Derek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Angus, Scotland
Posts: 1,447
Likes Received: 1594
As well as providing a temperature reading on the dash the coolant sensor is used by the ECU to adjust the fueling according to the engine temperature, enrichening for a cold start, leaning off as it warms up. A faulty coolant sensor will fool the ECU into thinking the engine is hotter or colder than it really is and the ECU will respond accordingly. The ECU also turns the fans on or off according to the signal it gets from the sensor.
A new sensor costs 29 in the UK, so not particularly expensive. It is mounted in a hose spigot on the horizontal cylinder head
Ed K, amoslws and LowRyter like this.

2017 Supersport 939
2015 Scrambler Classic
1994 907ie
1982 Pantah 500SL (now sold)
Derek is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome